Floating Social Went Missing From My Homepage

I’m using the Floating Social plugin in a multisite installation. The plugin was working on the home page of a couple sites until a couple of days ago. I believe that the floating social box disappeared from this website (http://spaceunited.org/) and one other site within my multisite network after upgrading the plugin.

I have tried removing all other widgets from the home page, disabling and re-enabling the plugin network wide, turning on and off different social networks, and clicking the “Attempt to fix front page conflicts” button.

I can’t seem to get it back on the home page of my site.

• Troy
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

PC, thanks for taking a look at this!

Attached are two screen shots. One of them with my site running the Twenty Eleven theme. The other is of the Floating Social settings.

My Twenty Eleven theme has modified images in the banner but is otherwise right out of the box.

In my settings, the only thing I’m doing different, is I’m basing the position off my #title-area. This is working correctly on the interior pages: http://spaceunited.org/missions.html

I am using Version 1.6.1 of the Floating Social Plugin.

Also, when I look at the code on the home page, I don’t see the #wdsb-share-box. So it seems that it’s not loading at all on the home page, despite that it’s toggled on in the settings.

Thanks again for your help!

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello @troycdunn

I tried but did not see anything specific which would cause that.

Can you please hook me up with a test account (Admin) so that I can have a closer look before I seek help from our lead developer.

Please use the secure contact form and mark the email to my attention with a link to this thread.

Cheers, PC

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya @troycdunn

Greetings !

I checked but could not find some direct issue with the settings and did not get into deeper details as the site seems live and I wanted to discuss it with you before we check any thing in the code.

As you tried to use Attempt to fix front page conflicts : Yes

did you check if your theme’s template has got get_footer function ?

Please advise before I seek help from Ve !

Cheers, PC

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

As you said that it stopped after upgrading the plugin.

By any chance is it possible for you to revert the previous plugin version and see if the bar appears back ?

The reason I am asking for it is that once we are sure it’s the latest version, we can ask Ve to advise what changes were made and what can we do to fix it.

The previous version can be downloaded here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/download/1116378347_sharebox.zip

Cheers, PC

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

Just a quick question, is there perhaps a piece of content that triggers the “the_content” filter on your landing page (or any other pages that suffer from the same issue)? Such pieces of content would typically be a post or page (or custom post type) content body copy.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings troycdunn,

It appears that this ticket has gotten away from our lead developer which I found this ticket hanging out in the back of the ticket system while doing house keeping today.

I will go ahead and ping the lead developer back in here so hoepfully we can resolve any remaining issues.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings troycdunn,

I have not seen any version numbers being thrown around here and considering what you mentioned before and the fact you mentioned that you upgraded (to 1.6.1) you may indeed consider as a quick fix rolling back to version 1.6 and see if that indeed does the job for you again.

In the meantime, your theme coding should probably be checked on to possibly find a permanent fix and where the issue is actually emanating from, but that is beyond my personal talents.

Please advise regarding theme name and if rolling back indeed temporarily resolves the issue?

Cheers, Joe

• Troy
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I’m running 1.6.1 and I did try rolling back the version to 1.6.0 as indicated with my conversation with Chaudhary above. That did not fix it.

I also mentioned above (w/ screenshot) that I tried changing my theme to the default WordPress Twenty Eleven and the plugin still did not appear on my site. So, that did not fix the issue either.

I am running the Genesis Studio Press Framework 1.9. My theme is based on the Generate Child Theme 1.0.1 and as mentioned above, it uses the get_footer function.

Vladislav asked if there was content on the home page that triggers the “the_content” filter. I’m not sure what that means.

I have toggled the “Attempt to fix front page conflicts” setting but the “wdsb-share-box” still doesn’t appear on the page.

Any other thoughts?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings troycdunn,

Unfortunately it appears that you have covered everything I can possibly think of that could be causing this issue.

I have indeed visited your site and checked it for errors and there are no JS errors or any other errors that I can possibly detect.

I admit I am running out of ideas, any chance you are using caching on the site of some kind?

By the way I am flagging the lead developer again hoping to get him back in here to help us resolve what is not happening there for us.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings troycdunn,

Thank you for your patience as well as we keep digging in to try to figure out why this is not working for us.

I will once again seek the lead developer to dig into this because as I mentioned above I cannot find anything that is preventing the Floating Social plugin form working.

Any chance we have not performed standard trouble shooting protocol to see if there are any conflicts going on that we are not aware of?

Standard plugin trouble shooting protocol – first to switch to the Twenty Eleven theme just long enough to check for the problem – if the problem still exists next involves deactivating all plugins except the plugin in question and then see if the issue still exists.

If it does not, then you want to activate plugins one at a time testing in between to see if the issue returns. Even when you find one plugin, it may be in your interest to deactivate the problem plugin and continue testing the rest of the plugins to insure no others are also conflicting.

You will know the conflict when the issue returns and which plugin(s) you activated that cause the issue.

Please advise if there are any plugin conflicts and if so what the plugins are that are conflicting.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings troycdunn,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.