Font error on IE in Google Calendar form

Hi there,

I have my website in Japanese, and need to use the GCal function of A+. It works without problem on Chrome, but on IE all the Japanese characters on the GCal form (the one after clicking confirm appointment) are replaced with '?' on my computer, and with small squares on my customer's computer.

I have tried adding/changing Japanese/Chinese font on IE, but no avail. Not really sure if the problem lies with IE settings or with A+, but if anyone know how to fix this, please let me know.

My computer's OS is English, and my customer's one is Japanese by default, so you don't have to take OS into account.

Thanks in advance!
Nghia

• Nghia

Thanks Michelle for the quick reply.

However the problem is not that simple. As I mentioned, I tried adding/changing font settings before asking. I mean, quite a lot.

I found a similar thread here which says that Appointment+ had some problems with Japanese before. But the thread has been there for 6 months, so I don't feel like downloading the pre build fix there.

Could you please verify if the problem persists on your IE or not? Just make a service with its name in Japanese, then try the GCal.

Nghia

• aristath

Hello there @Nghia, I hope you're well today!

This has nothing to do with the Appointments+ plugin...
    could be the theme is setting an ISO DOCTYPE, and it should be setting a UTF-8 DOCTYPE, so IE is trying to automatically use ISO instead of UTF.
    Otherwise it could be an IE issue with rendering those characters, rather than A+, I can't see it's A+ as it's not even in the A+ interface, rather it's the gcal interface..

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Nghia

Hi Aris,

It's true that It may not be a problem of A+, but still I don't think your suggestion is correct.
    The theme I'm using is Vantage. I'm not really sure it's an ISO DOCTYPE or UTF-8, but it displays Japanese without problem on my site, and on GCal to if the browser is not IE, so I don't think the theme is at fault.
    And on IE, I have never encoutered any problem displaying Japanese until now. It only occurs on GCal form called by A+.

After some investigations, I saw that the URLs opened by IE and Chrome are different. The one on Chrome has its parameters (text, location) displayed correctly in Japanese, while the one on IE has those parameters as '??????'. I can't paste them here because this forum does not display Japanese well, but I think you know what I mean.

So my wild guess is, the URL might be converted to different encoding somewhere in the interaction between A+ and IE. I'm not entirely sure about it, so verification from developer side is required. If it's really not A+'s problem, then please take a look at
    http://webtherapies.com/psycho/?page_id=24&wcalendar=1412985706#app_schedule
    and help me resolve the issue.

Just a quick note: "The interface does not concern this matter" does not mean it cannot be the app's fault. It could mean the developer failed to foresee and test the case.

Sorry if that offenses anyone. Don't take it too serious.
    Have a good day!
    Nghia

• aristath

Hello again @Nghia,

Unfortunately I don't have IE to test this...
    Thank you though for the detailed explanation!
    I have notified the plugin developers about this one, I'm sure if it's an issue with the URLs generated by the plugin we'll be able to resolve it.

Please keep in mind though that plugin developers have a lot of responsibilities so this could take a bit longer than a normal ticket.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Nghia

Hey Ari,

Thanks for the reply. I will wait for a fix then.

And while we're at it, I also found out that some A+ Settings for Google Calendar are not working (Event summary and Event description). I tried to change the texts there but there is no change on the form. However, the Google Calendar Location setting works.

I see that the API is still in BETA, so I won't complain. But if the developer can fix that too, that would be a big help.

Cheers
    Nghia

• Nghia

Good to hear you again Tyler!

My problem lies only on the GCal event form generated by A+. You can see it in the first post (pictures). If the form would show readable characters (Japanese or English), that were fine. But don't tell me to change the service name into English. That's not an option. Also I tried the Event name and Event Description as mentioned in my last reply, they don't work.

Do you have any suggestion?

Hope to hear from you soon!
    Nghia

• Tyler Postle

Hey Nghia,

Hope you're doing well and thanks for getting back to us :slight_smile:

My problem lies only on the GCal event form generated by A+

So, this happened when you created an event in Apps+ then it got sent over to Gcal and once it was in Gcal then it displayed wrongly in IE but fine in other browsers? The screenshots you posted above are after the appointment got imported to Gcal?

Hopefully I'm understanding that correctly now :slight_smile:

Look forward to hearing back.

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.