[for Andrey] User Synchronization Error when trying to sync

No error log for master site was created, only subsite. Log file for subsite attached. Also tried syncing in debug mode and got this error: "There was a connection problem. Please check the URL and Key of the Master site." Can send error log if required but only has a lot of entries like this:
[2015-08-14 08:45:43][S] 4-10 - hash sum error***
[2015-08-14 08:45:43][S] 3-10 - p or hash not set***

Thanks for any assistance.

• Sajid

Hi @Ray Scarpa

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

Can you please grant support access and provide a little more information (background of the issue, if any) so I can take a closer look. You can provide support access from WPMUDEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access or see below manual for more details.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Lets see what Andrey says here too :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

• Ray Scarpa

Hi Sajid,

Just did the "" on the master site, tried again and same error. However it looks like about 980 of the 6600 users were "imported" during the process before the error began. Happy to delete the (partial) list of user and try again, or try anything else you may suggest. Site is not yet live so we have some flexibility with testing. Do we need to add all the user roles in advance to subsite that are available in master site for process to work properly? I'm asking because most users on master site are designated as "Subscribers" but the synced users are now in the subsite as "Contributors."

Thanks!

• Sajid

Hi @Ray Scarpa

It looks like memory exhausted issue, you can increase the memory limit and max time out by adding/editing php.ini file.

Here is a nice and detailed write-up on this topic that will be helpful you.
    http://www.elegantthemes.com/blog/tips-tricks/is-the-wordpress-upload-limit-giving-you-trouble-heres-how-to-change-it

Subscriber is default user role of WordPress and it should assign that automatically. Please try it once again and lets see how it goes.

Cheers, Sajid

• Ray Scarpa

We have increased the memory limit and max time out substantially on both sites and on server, but still running into the same error:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
    Please contact the server administrator to inform of the time the error occurred and of anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Right now we are attempting to complete the process of syncing all 6600 users by running multiple times. Each session seems to add anywhere from 200-500 new users before throwing the error. Hoping that this will at least create a one-time link between the sites but will let you know if it doesn't work. I can send the entire error log if you think that's helpful, but a few items that seem to come up that may be relevant are:

[Sun Aug 23 23:52:42 2015] [warn] [client 107.184.97.103] mod_fcgid: can't apply process slot for /var/www/cgi-bin/cgi_wrapper/cgi_wrapper, referer: http://www.venturaclassifieds.com/directory/wp-admin/users.php?delete_count=113
    [Sun Aug 23 23:54:08 2015] [warn] [client 107.184.97.103] mod_fcgid: can't apply process slot for /var/www/cgi-bin/cgi_wrapper/cgi_wrapper, referer: http://www.venturaclassifieds.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=user-sync
    [Sun Aug 23 23:57:19 2015] [error] [client 107.184.97.103] Premature end of script headers: admin-ajax.php, referer: http://www.venturaclassifieds.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=user-sync

FYI, throws error after about 10 minutes but time out is set to 20 minutes for now... Any additional thoughts on the above would be appreciated.

Also, assuming we can eventually migrate all users to sync status, will we need to run this regularly to update or will sync take place automatically, on some schedule or as users are added?

Thanks!

• Sajid

Hi @Ray Scarpa

The migration of existing users can only be done manually.

When users sync is enabled and active, it will sync all new users to all connected/slave sites automatically when they will be registered here.

It also automatically updates the users data when they update their profile on master site, such as update their password.

What is your host ? Please send in your website FTP and WordPress admin details to further investigate this issue in following format.

Subject: "Attn: Sajid Javed"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me :slight_smile:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

• Ray Scarpa

Wait, are you saying that we need to first export users from main site and import into subsite? And THEN user sync will work to maintain? If so, can you recommend a plugin to accomplish that task most efficiently, maybe WP Ultimate CSV Importer?

If a new user signs up on subsite, will their new account eventually be synced to main site, or only if sign up on main site will it sync to subsite?

BTW, I sent the info you requested above earlier today, thanks for following up!

• Sajid

Hi @Ray Scarpa

Wait, are you saying that we need to first export users from main site and import into subsite? And THEN user sync will work to maintain? If so, can you recommend a plugin to accomplish that task most efficiently, maybe WP Ultimate CSV Importer?

I am sorry for confusion! No! By manually means, you have to click on on Sync all sites now button to synch existing users, no need to export into CSV and then import. After that it will automatically synch all new users and when they update their profile.

If a new user signs up on subsite, will their new account eventually be synced to main site, or only if sign up on main site will it sync to subsite?

No! Its only can be synced from master site to slave sites.

Thanks for sending in the details. I got the credentials. I talked to the developer and he said its most likely the server timeout issue. Yes I know we increased but some times server ignores these settings.

Developer said that if its failed once then try to sync again. Using Sync all sites now should continue to sync users that were not synced. So you have to click three more times to sync the rest of the users :slight_smile:

Let me know if its still not working.

Cheers, Sajid

• Ray Scarpa

Hi Sajid,

Thanks for staying with me on this.

I did try syncing multiple times, that's how I got to 2588, (increasing anywhere from 200-500 each time) but at some point it just stopped. After 3 or 4 additional attempts with no additional users syncing, I reached back out to you guys.

Do you think that manually exporting from main site then importing to subsite be an option? Then we wouldn't need to deal with any server timeout issues. Syncing from that point forward should be quick since it's only checking differences, right?

So assuming it eventually works, will I need to manually sync to keep it current (daily, weekly, hourly)? And to clarify, if someone signs up on the subsite, their account will not be recognized on the main site? Only if they sign up on main site will it be synced to subsite? I must be misunderstanding because that doesn't sound like syncing to me.

Thanks!

• Sajid

Hi @Ray Scarpa

Do you think that manually exporting from main site then importing to subsite be an option?

Yep! You can also use Ultimate CSV Importer plugin first time to import all your existing users.

So assuming it eventually works, will I need to manually sync to keep it current (daily, weekly, hourly)?

Yes! It will automatically keep it current by syncing instantly. For example when a new member will be registered on master site it will also be synced/registered to all its slave sites and when a member will update their password on main site it will also be updated on all its slaves sites.

And to clarify, if someone signs up on the subsite, their account will not be recognized on the main site? Only if they sign up on main site will it be synced to subsite?

Yes! Its one way syncing, from Master to Slave sites.

Hope it makes it clear :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid