For MarketPress, can PayPal chained payments use new REST api's?

Hello, I setup PayPal chained payments in MarketPress with developer settings using Classic api system. Tests failed.

Troubleshooting store checkout revealed PayPal is switching to REST api’s (Classic phasing out). I prefer not to launch site until I know if/when MarketPress will support new system, and how it will work.

We require support to get chained payments to work in sandbox with classic api’s; settings are not in correct places. Need help sorting out live settings as well.

Thanks!

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello again @MoniQ, I hope you’re well today.

I was not aware of PayPal’s new API… I have notified the plugin developer about this one, we’ll know more about this as soon as he gets here.

Please keep in mind though that plugin developers have a lot of responsibilities so this might take a bit longer than a normal ticket.

Cheers,

Ari.

• Jonathan
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi @MoniQ,

As far as I know PayPal classic APIs are not being phased out any time soon. The newer REST APIs are still under heavy development, aren’t supported in all countries and don’t have all of the features that the classic APIs provide. We currently don’t have any plans of converting to the new REST APIs – at least until PayPal decides to deprecate the Classic APIs.

As far as getting help with setting up your global cart you’ve come to the right place. @aristath can help you get setup. :slight_smile:

• MoniQ
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Jonathan, PayPal is not pushing a change, but their documentation is clear that classic api’s will phase out eventually. If/when the changeover happens, what would be the procedure to deal with such a transition if we are talking 100 shops for example. How would the network admin handle this? What am I looking at down the road?

@aristath, hello. I have PayPal developer settings ready, but am not using them correctly. Have not been able to get the sandbox to work yet.

Thanks.

• MoniQ

@aristath, hello.

I am rebuilding WP multisite network as subsites were listing with http and not https. This new rebuild is no better. (I wonder if other https sites also have issues like this? How do WP networks secure their shopping experience with this issue?)

I will jump in to this PayPal thread as soon as I have the site ready to go, hopefully next week.

Thanks.

• MoniQ

@ari, our goal is to padlock browsers to give customers reassurance that our site is secure. Users get put off by browser warnings.

I re-installed WP Multisite using https. I am working with Jack to add .htaccess and functions.php code. I am also working with Nathan to fix http assets in Pro3 theme.

As soon as I have the site back up, and a shop demo ready, I would like to ask you questions on PayPal chain payments setup. I was given sandbox and live settings but for some reason kept getting paypal errors at store checkout. I am very excited to get back to this point.

I noticed PayPal may charge an extra $35/month to process credit cards?! That was not clear in prelim-info. I was lead to believe PayPal chain payments will process both paypal account and credit card purchases for the “no more than 2.9% fee”? Can you clarify?

Thanks Ari!

• be
    • WP Core Meltdown

(I wonder if other https sites also have issues like this? How do WP networks secure their shopping experience with this issue?)

While there are always case specific needs to consider – Secure sockets are meant to stop intrusion which by design means just about anything coming near it..

If you need a secure process (ie paypal asking for a socket because you are taking and storing Customer details and card numbers then usually it is the process page that moves to the socket and not the entire site..)

I noticed PayPal may charge an extra $35/month to process credit cards?! That was not clear in prelim-info. I was lead to believe PayPal chain payments will process both paypal account and credit card purchases for the “no more than 2.9% fee”?

That is actually a Paypal (not plugin or site specific) fee

and its my understanding that again goes to your site actually taking, storing and doing the transaction .

As opposed to buyer clicking on checkout and going to “paypal” to complete the transaction..

If you are taking Chained(now Adaptive)payments – I am unsure why you would need the socket to complete any transactions because they are happening at the paypal HTTPS end not on your site..

(can be very confusing)

• aristath
    • Recruit

@MoniQ

I noticed PayPal may charge an extra $35/month to process credit cards?! That was not clear in prelim-info. I was lead to believe PayPal chain payments will process both paypal account and credit card purchases for the “no more than 2.9% fee”? Can you clarify?

PayPal has fees for premium accounts which unfortunately we can’t control in any way since we are not affiliated with PayPal. I was not aware of that $35 charge… could you please post a link to that so that I may read what it’s about?

Your clients will not see any warnings on their pages, because as @be mentioned above the transactions are not processed on your site but on PayPal!

Cheers,

Ari.

• MoniQ

@be and @ari, thanks for your information.

The warnings were coming from browsers. Issue was unsecured assets. Http vs. https! I started with an http installation in September 2013 which lead me to a completely secure rebuild today – rediculous, overkill … but it solves many issues I experienced over these months. Now users will not run away due to browser warnings! Anyhoo, to explain reasoning and discuss further would require a chat and a hot coffee (or beer, but I think this is the family channel).

The main thing here is I don’t need to buy the extra PayPal feature, $35/month, for onsite transaction processing. Yay. I can relax with PayPal Adaptive (Chain) Payments and my developer api. I will need help to set this up and test tomorrow :slight_smile:

Stay tuned. Thanks!

• MoniQ

$35 monthly PayPal charge must be an additional fee for onsite credit card processing – which is not what I want. I saw the notice after logging in to my PayPal developer account to get my sandbox settings. It is at the bottom of my services list. Looks like an additional item I can add on/pay for but don’t need.

• MoniQ

@ari, I need help to setup PayPal once again using sandbox settings in my MarketPress multisite. Network settings vs. single shop settings.

In my PayPal bz account “website payment preferences” for the network, I believe I require a MarketPress “return url” to add if I want to redirect consumers back to the shop they just purchased from. (I don’t know if this brings them back to the parent site “thank you for your payment, your transaction is being processed” message, or if this can direct them back to the shop itself.)

Next, I do not know how to test PayPal chain payment store checkout in a shop – single shop on the network. I added the parent site sandbox credentials. What do I add into the single shop’s credentials? I tried every paypal test email I was given and more. Am I to add a new app for this?

Could sure use help to check my settings!

• be
    • WP Core Meltdown

I believe I require a MarketPress “return url” to add if I want to redirect consumers back to the shop they just purchased from.

Chained (adaptive) work like a single shop meaning buyers will return to the shop they just checked out of automatically like a normal single store setup.

Each store will enter their own individual store owner paypal email address to be paid into..

What do I add into the single shop’s credentials?

You will need a secondary paypal account to test the chain process ie

Parent site is 1 your actual payment api credentials..

Subsiste is 2nd and different paypal email address (not the same as the parent api or paypal email.

PayPal Email Address, is it better to add merchant account id here for parent credentials, or should I leave my paypal email address there?

Network = Paypal credentials and email address (should be noted where to place those in

Network admin > Dashboard > Settings > Marketpress Network options

Then

Super or Parent store..

You choose Paypal Chained there.

and enter your payment paypal info (email is the only option)

Then

all substore under their own settings.

will only have the option to enter their own paypal email address and nothing else when Chained payments are the chosen option under network admin

• MoniQ

@be, you are great :slight_smile:

Has MP changed over the past year? In this (thread) they talk about adding a custom url in the code to redirect back to shop? Sounds like I don’t have to.

I don’t have to turn on “redirect url” in my PayPal account (profile/website preferences). MarketPress checkout will send them back to a “shop” confirmation page, right after their payment is done?

Have you turned on any website preferences like “PayPal Account Optional”:

When PayPal Account Optional is turned on, your customers who are new to PayPal will no longer be required to create a PayPal account to complete a purchase—they will go through an alternate checkout, and will have the option to sign up afterward.

So to confirm:

1) In my parent shop, can I use the same paypal email address I have in my network settings?

2) To test my first demo shop, open another paypal business account to get credentials?

In a shop, PayPal Settings use a PayPal Email Address. It says:

Please enter your PayPal email address or business id. If testing use your sandbox PayPal Email.

What confused me is the “or business id” (which I took to mean the merchant acount id#), and also “sandbox paypal email” (which is more like a username than an email address).

Thank you:slight_smile:

• be
    • WP Core Meltdown

Yes there has been lots of changes..

It is a much cleaner simpler process these days (unless there are unknown variations – truly not sure if or how your SSL issues may affect the process )

So in essence yes each individual store needs to enter their own paypal email address only.. all the rest of the process should be automatic.

The buyer will go back to the thankyou store page for download or more shopping..

“PayPal Account Optional”:

Gives buyers the opportunity to quick checkout with a CC and not force them to use a paypal account (yes we do use this option)

If you have tested with you sandbox Creds and all ok .. (that is really just validating it is making the call correctly)

You should be good to go..

Note you can only test sandbox via the Super or Parent store..

No other substore gets a sandbox option..

If you want to be super happy all is well.

Note LIVE testing – will not allow you to pay process from the same account so you would really need 3 payment accounts or points

Live parent (commission account)

Second Paypal account to use a substore (store owner account) (this can be a personal account as its only purpose would be to receive a test amount of money unless you have other plans for it)

Third account to pay OUT of for the purchase = this can be CC or another PP account.

But if sandbox makes the call all should be good, for piece of mind and to get a kick out of seeing the transaction split… well maybe worth the fun of it..

• be
    • WP Core Meltdown

Apologies – I beat your edit..

1) In my parent shop, can I use the same paypal email address I have in my network settings?

Yes

2) To test my first demo shop, open another paypal business account to get credentials?

Can be any paypal account including one off personal account its purpose will be to simply accept a payment amount you are testing (it can of course be used for other things as well if you keep it. but it must be a DIFFERENT paypal email address to the Parent one..

me is the “or business id”

Yes understand – its just easier to use the actual email saves confusion all round.. :slight_smile:

• MoniQ

@be, it is challenging to get through the paypal hoops. Thanks for your patience!

Note you can only test sandbox via the Super or Parent store..

No other substore gets a sandbox option..

So I can see a sandbox option in the shop demo because I am logged in as super admin? I also see all the payment gateways I have hidden in net admin settings – these will all be hidden for site admins.

I am definitely working towards peace of mind for sure – and will test live.

I am having an issue determining what data to enter and where.

1) I go into my PayPal bz account in “my shopping tools” to retrieve – my main API credentials.

2) I go in my PayPal developer account,

a) “Profile Account info” to get my sandbox

Email ID: (use this email address in the parent shop??)

Country: US (not right country, and no instructions to change it)

b) In TEST API CREDENTIALS I get a username, password and signature.

(or do I enter this username in the parent shop??)

3) Then I go in “my Apps” for my Application ID’s, and just use the sandbox one to test. Will switch this to the live id when ready.

Ummm. I think I am getting it.

I should open a 2nd paypal bz account right away, as it takes a few steps to verify to get this moving along quickly.

Do you think I can go live by Wednesday! LOL I hope so.

Thanks for your help!

:slight_smile:

• MoniQ

@be you beat me again. Do I understand correctly, to setup a shop, I am telling my new merchants to setup a “PayPal Business Account” and use that email to setup their shop.

Can be any paypal account

But, can I open any paypal account just to test this out? In other words, it does not have to be a business account?

Thanks for your patience :slight_smile:

• be
    • WP Core Meltdown

No the only API you will need is the one provided for Chained payments if they have authorised you..

So your APP api = will look something like xyz-api1-sitename

Now maybe this is a bit backwards.

Step 1 – Go to your Network Admin DAshboard CHOOSE all to use CHAINED PAYMNETS

and Enter you Chained Payment API credentials as noted in each step.

This paypal EMAIL is the one that will receive all the commission payments

• be
    • WP Core Meltdown

Step 2 – Parent or Super Store

Products > Store Settings > Payments

Enter your paypal email address (make sure you do not uncheck chained payments)

This can be the SAME email as your commission if you are in effect the owner of the parent store..

• be
    • WP Core Meltdown

I should open a 2nd paypal bz account right away, as it takes a few steps to verify to get this moving along quickly

If the only purpose of this account is to test the process you just need a personal one that will be live when you are finished pretty much as it will only receive your test payment..

• MoniQ

One last thing. I realize I may have made a rather large mistake at the very beginning. I used a personal developer email account of mine to open the network paypal bz account (and adjoining developer account).

I could add a second email address to the bz account, but could I use it for MarketPress?

Or should I change the original email address to i.e. name@domain.ca ?

Will this mess up everything across the board and be quite a hassle?

Thanks.

• MoniQ

Ah yes I agree. I just changed email address, and it looks good. But, all my api credentials have the old address in them. Do you think I should request new api?

I will go into developer api account to see if I can just regenerate this, or if I have to re-apply or something.

• be
    • WP Core Meltdown

Ok – so generally speaking..

The API is one thing and as long as its valid should be all ok unless you change something or no longer have access to that API or DEV account.

The paypal email is another thing..

So if this is the payment one you are referring to it should all be ok as it is with your new preferred option

• be
    • WP Core Meltdown

Hi MoniQ

This is really a business decision for each owner.

Depends on country, laws etc..

But basically you can have money paid into your account no matter what sort of account it is..

If its a genuine business or trader that is expecting to make a reasonable turnover then its likely they will use a business account..

• MoniQ

Thanks @be for the quick response! I wonder where I got the idea it had to be a PayPal business account. Maybe has to do with purchase-returns or shipping labels – tool(s) that PayPal offers in a business account maybe that may help merchants. (I don’t recall.)

Is there a good resource locally here that will help shop network managers refine or strengthen MarketPress services? Or can you recommend a good resource of information to help me learn more about i.e. “purchase-returns”, shipping labels/options/packaging? (Or maybe you would like to write one :slight_smile:

Cheers.

• be
    • WP Core Meltdown

(Or maybe you would like to write one :slight_smile:

:slight_smile:

The need for a united approach to plugins that claim the service is what we should all focus on… haha…

Now shipping, labels, returns etc are handled by each store..

PPal Business does have options for shipping etc but these are setup on a store owner basis..

If you refer to process its as above

if you refer to proceedures and requirements, ie returns that needs to be a part of your terms and conditions..

ie returns accepted by X days for X reasons etc..

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.