For the AD SHARING plugin. Author access

If you must give Author Access then can they access the Wordpress backend? We only allow users to write posts currently from a user submitted posts plugin (Even though I'm looking for another one that makes the post creation process cleaner). We don't want allow end users (we have tens of thousands of them) to access the wordpress admin area.

How popular is this plugin with users? Do users like this and is it only available on Adsense or other networks? Or can users basically post any ad there that they want? I'm not following if this is just split by an Ad network or a user could put whatever they want with no review on it?

Also, it looks like this just works on Posts. Can it be extended to other post_types like we have a custom post of question.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Candace,

Hope you're doing well today

With Ad Sharing your user that have capability to create posts will need access to backend in order to configure their Ad sharing settings.

Note that authors don't have same conditions as admins and all they will have in backed is Posts, Comments, Media and Profile pages.
    You can further limit backed pages to them with a plugin like this one:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/admin-menu-editor/

How popular is this plugin with users?

Ad sharing as an option on its own is not popular like other site functionality like memberships, e-shop, etc. so it's not one of our mostly used plugins.

Do users like this and is it only available on Adsense or other networks?

I'm not sure I understand this question completely, could you elaborate it a bit more?

Or can users basically post any ad there that they want? I'm not following if this is just split by an Ad network or a user could put whatever they want with no review on it?

Ads from users are not reviewed, how the plugin works is that you enter your own ad code and users enter theirs, you now configure sharing percentage and that will define which ads will be shown more often, yours or your users.

Also, it looks like this just works on Posts. Can it be extended to other post_types like we have a custom post of question.

Ad Sharing currently works only with Posts and Pages, CPT is not currently included.
    You can start a thread in our Features & Feedback section so our devs can consider adding such option in future.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Candace

Thanks. You mentioned that we could provide feedback for improvements. How do we do that?

Also, is there any issue if you have a lot of authors using different adsense codes? Is this a problem with Google or frowned upon by them?

It sounds like the plugin is pretty basic so there really isn't anyway to get any stats besides knowing the pageviews you have and the adviews you have and assuming the difference is what ads your authors ran.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Candace!

You mentioned that we could provide feedback for improvements. How do we do that?

You may always leave a feedback and/or suggest a feature by posting (just like you did here) on a "Features and Feedback" forum. To do this simply use the standard form here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question

and select "Feature Suggestions and Feedback" from the drop-down list (first one below "Subject" line).

Also, is there any issue if you have a lot of authors using different adsense codes? Is this a problem with Google or frowned upon by them?

Technically, it's not a problem. I admit I'm not sure how Google treats that legally currently though. Back in the past when this plugin was created, it was allowed. I wasn't even working here back then but (a different case but the same issue) I asked Google support if such kind of ad splitting/rotation is allowed and they confirmed. The only requirement was that it wasn't allowed to mix ads from different AdSense users on the same page but that's fine.

I can see that now Google is running their own platform with API for such "revenue sharing" but it's available only for "big publishers" and you need to qualify as a "host". I know that there are many sites that still use that basic "rotation" model but whether it's because they are too small to draw Google attention or it is allowed - it'd be best to ask Google directly.

It sounds like the plugin is pretty basic so there really isn't anyway to get any stats besides knowing the pageviews you have and the adviews you have and assuming the difference is what ads your authors ran.

A sole purpose of that plugin is to serve ad code in a "split" way, according to % that you setup. It does not provide any advanced stats.

Kind regards,
    Adam