Forcing Members to Sign Up Using Real Names (First, Last)

Hi All,

I haven't seen this addressed yet but I am co-admin on thedanniapp.com and after some discussion my admin partner and I have decided we want users to use their real names when signing up. It's been a bit of a hassle working with just usernames and trying to match up usernames to Paypal transactions and the like.

Is there something we can do to make it mandatory that real names be used at sign up? I know we'd have to get current users to enter them to their profiles, but new signups we definitely want first and last names at sign up.

Please let me know... I'm not opposed to adding PHP code or whatever to accomplish this, just need to know where and what to modify (I'm not a programmer). :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance for your help!
-Lynn

• aecnu

Greetings Lynn,

Thank you for the great questions however with your WordPress installation being a few versions behind not everything is going to work right.

There is no way to assure they use their real names, it will certainly be a challenge just the same.

Coding in the names will indeed require custom coding, and something to create and manage the forms.

You can create a custom registration form using the follwoing coding to address the custom form:

To override any of the pages generated by membership with your own you can easily define the following in your wp-config

MEMBERSHIP_ACCOUNT_FORM
    MEMBERSHIP_REGISTRATION_FORM
    MEMBERSHIP_SUBSCRIPTION_FORM
    MEMBERSHIP_MEMBER_FORM
    MEMBERSHIP_UPGRADE_FORM
    MEMBERSHIP_RENEW_FORM
    MEMBERSHIP_PAYMENT_FORM

using: ('MEMBERSHIP_****_FORM','/full/server/path/to/file/');

To create the form itself you can use something like Gravity Forms or Form Maker plugin or perhaps your favorite form creator and code it all together into your custom registration form.

If you do not have the resources to code, alternatively you could see if there's a developer available at wpmu jobs who could get onto it right this minute.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• DanniApp Support

Hi Joe!

I just updated to the latest version of WP (finally - I was afraid to since last update on another of my sites killed a lot of plugins).

I can't absolutely ensure that they will use their real names but just using a username is not working when we're trying to reconcile various problems between Paypal and the members themselves. Most of the time we can't figure out who a member actually is because they have usernames instead of real names and are often using a different email address in Paypal and on our site.

So that's what we're trying to figure out, and I'll look into the suggestions you posted here and see what I can come up with. :slight_smile:

Thanks!
    -Lynn

• aecnu

Greetings Lynn,

Thank you for letting me know and FYI the ticket being marked resolved makes it so that support is not alerted to it, but it still appears for members and they can comment any time.

Most of the time we can't figure out who a member actually is because they have usernames instead of real names and are often using a different email address in Paypal and on our site.

I hear that and I agree it can be a bit of a hassle trying to figure it out - we run into the same problem ourselves though to date - knock on wood - we have always managed to figure it out though it is for WHMCS rather then Membership.

In any event, I hope that you folks manage to tie the accounts in Membership to the accounts in PayPal.

On a side note, you could always try adding Buddy Press with extended custom profile fields for their real names and hopefully they will fill them out.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.