[Forminator Pro] Forminator Pro intermittenly working and not working

Hi there,
The form on this page (http://www.intheinitiative.com/applications-form-v2/) seems to be working then not working. This is for one of my clients who just launched a very important event. The form has to work. Can you please take a look? Thanks!

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Bobby

I hope you're well today!

I took a liberty of submitting the form twice, using two browsers (Chrome and FIrefox) and it did work both times. I can also see my submissions in back-end of the site along with 28 other submissions (30 in total, including mine).

There was no errors in the console either. I understand that the issue is intermittent and it might be difficult to "catch" so I'd like to ask you:

- what exactly do you mean by "not working" - is it that it's not showing up at all or shows broken/messed up? Or it says it's been submitted but really isn't? Any other behavior that I should specifically focus on?

- to make sure - to "catch" that issue I should just keep submitting the form over and over again, correct? Or should I use some specific browser or fill-in some selected fields of the form (I only filled-in those required ones so far)?

Let me know please and I'll test it again so we could identify the problem and find the way to solve it.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Bobby
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your assistance.

For your first question, the form worked from May 1 until May 2nd. It didn't receive a new form submission until I tested in on May 4th. When I tested it, the form would not submit. It would simply scroll to the top of the page without any error message.

This is a huge issue because the user doesn't know if the form submitted or not. And since there's no submission, I have no idea who attempted to fill out the form in the plugin submission page.

On May 4th, I went into the form settings and did not change anything other than resaving it and it worked. On May 5th, this am, I checked the form again and it would not submit. Same issue as before. I resaved the form and it worked. This is why I said it intermittently works and then does not work. I know that's pretty vague of an explanation.

• Bobby
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Just a heads up, we took down all links to this form so it's not customer-facing any longer. The url is still live for testing purposes.

I'll see if I can replicate the issue again. If I can, I'll let you know so we may be able to troubleshoot further. Thanks!

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

HI Bobby

Thanks for the follow-up!

I just checked the site and the form again and I also noticed that there's page cache active on site. This might sometimes interfere with forms so I think you might want to try/test two options in the form settings.

In the "Behavior" section of the form configuration in back-end you'll find, at the bottom of the page, two switches:

"Load form using AJAX" and "Prevent page caching on form pages"

The first one will change the way the form is being loaded and in many cases can help overcome caching issues (and based on the behavior that you described, I think it might be related) and the second one explicitly disabled Hummingbird Page Cache for the pages that have Forminator forms on them. I think that there's a very good chance that either one of these options or both enabled together might actually help here so it would be great if you could test it.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Bobby
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Adam,

I tested your solution and it worked. While I'm relieved we found the issue, the client is still left frustrated. They have no idea how many people tried to fill out the form the days it wasn't working. If the plugin would've provided an error message or some way for the user to know their form did not submit, we would've caught this much sooner and avoided any issues. We had to abandon Forminator on this website and use Google Forms.

Again, I appreciate your prompt replies and assistance. Thanks again!

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Bobby,

Sorry to hear that you had to switch to a different solution due to this :slight_frown:

I did a test on my site by creating a form with activated caching and had multiple people from multiple browsers test it out but we couldn't replicate the problem, the form was submitted without any problems each time.
    It's possible that this was something specific to your installation, some additional plugin or theme that's conflicting with the form and preventing it from working and showing an error message.

If you have a staging site with the same setup we would like to investigate this further and see what could be done from our end to prevent it from happening again.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Bobby
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Predrag,

Thanks for reaching out and doing more testing.

My form worked for 2 days without any issues. Then stopped working until I resaved the form. Then, it appeared to stop working again after another day without any updates or installs to the website.

It's difficult to say whether or not an additional plugin or theme had a conflict. Unfortunately, I'm a small company and do not have the resources for a dedicated developer to look into these things.

I have a staging site but it's not the same setup. We implemented a different form plugin there. I'm not sure if this would be a 1:1 comparison.

I just appreciate we got this resolved. I'll continue to use Forminator on my other websites, w/ activated caching, and hopefully all will go smoothly.

Thanks again for your efforts. It's greatly appreciated.

Best,

Bobby

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Bobby,

Such "random" behavior usually relates to caching but it can depend on what exactly is being cached from your site.
    With your WPMU DEV membership, you get 3 free sites on our Hosting and if you want you can setup staging site there where we could do some additional checks without affecting your live site.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Bobby

We'll keep a close eye on any possible reports of similar issues, if they show up. We'll also be taking possibility of the discussed issue while doing any other Forminator tests so in case we manage to "catch that up" again on any site, we'll engage our developers.

If you ever decide to give further troubleshooting/testing a spin (e.g. with a staging on WPMU DEV Hosting), just let us know at any time and we'll be ready to "jump back in" :slight_smile:

Have a nice day,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.