Forum Directory under Groups for Members - Not working?

I saw an older thread on something a bit similar, but it was with 1.3, so I don't think it applies. When I go in as a member of group and then click on the "Forum Directory" link (see screenshot) it gives me nothing. When I go in as a group mod/admin I see all the topics just fine.

It doesn't seem to be acting as it should unless I am misunderstanding what it means by forum directory, but I don't think so given the behavior I see for the group admin.

I guess I need to know how to fix, or remove if I can't so hopefully they will just click on the Forum button instead to get back to all the main topics page.

Thanks, David

• David

Yep, more than fair to ask. Unfortunately same thing :slight_frown:. Ugh. This is one of those MUST fix or I can't even go live. Basically I found even if I promote a member to Admin it still doesn't work, it only works for the Super Admin account from my testing.

Also I have been super careful to install only supported plugins, follow best practices, etc, so I am guessing anyone is going to experience this. What I did do that maybe was a mistake was go to 1.5.1, so not sure if this was happening at 1.5.

Thanks, David

• Mason

Hiya David,

Since it does the same thing with the default theme as social it's probably not theme related, but setup related. That link should actually take you to the main forums page or directory which is normally domain.com/forums/

So, the question is how do you have your forums setup? And, if the forums directory page only shows threads that are part of groups that you belong to, then perhaps that member doesn't belong to any of those groups?

Just an idea, but if you tell us more about your setup, we can hopefully troublehshoot this further.

Thanks!

• David

The forums are setup to only exist in the groups. There is only one group, and that user is a member of the group. It appears only the "super admin" has access to see the threads from the forum directory, as you can see in the screenshot. It doesn't even appear that moderator or group admin has that access from testing

I emailed in a ticket to support last night, with an account you can test with. David said he was going to check out some things - see below.

"Sorry you're experiencing trouble, it looks like the issue is surrounding BuddyPress itself, and I'll check on a couple of things with that and post back to your thread.
    Thanks!
    -David"

He thought it appeared to be a BuddyPress issue, so I am wondering if he tested default behavior on a 1.5.1 installation. If you have a test instance up it should be easy to test - was thinking about putting one up myself just to see. It either is a bug in BuddyPress 1.5.1 or a problem with one of the plugins, which all state are tested up to 1.5

Anyway, I appreciate the help! Getting nervous with my launch date getting closer and closer.

Thanks, David

• David

What would be the process of uninstalling and re-installing forums? I can do that at this stage. I tried, but it didn't seem to take. I uninstalled, then updated network, but it never really uninstalled. I am wondering if I can get to a clean slate with forums it will fix the issue.

There definitely seems to be some sort of permission issue. When I am interacting in the group it is fine, but all the forums links seem to take me to a page that doesn't seem to think any non "super-admin" should have access. I have tried re-creating the forums page as well to no avail.

Anyway, getting more and more desperate by the day. Thanks, David

• David

Ok, so changing this to Public Group did work, but now of course all that content can be seen by search engines, which I can't have. Any thoughts or work arounds to all of this? I need the forum directory (and really the search of that) to work, but it doesn't in private groups. And I need the content to be secure only to members of the site. Now the good thing is it can be viewable by all members regardless, but not to non-members, search engines...

BUT, it is key that profiles are publicly searchable/accessible.

• David

At this point I am looking at two solutions from what I can tell and I wanted to summarize to see if someone can help me figure out an answer.

1) Somehow fix permissions so when I click on "Forum Directory" as a member it let's me see all the forums that I belong to, AND search them. I can do it with the "Super Admin". This of course would be ideal. Or another solution would be even if Forum Directory didn't work, there was a way to search the forum at all - but I am not seeing that functionality work with any widgets or anything.

2) Change this main group to Public and find a way to absolutely make sure that the content is not searchable. My concern with this is there are some robust plugins, like S2Member, but the concern is it will just lock users out from clicking on it, but Google will still be able to index the data. Which I can't have.

Any help would be appreciated before I probably have to reach out to a paid developer of some sort.

Thanks, David

• DavidM

Hi David,

I'm looking more into this right now, not really sure if it's an issue with the BP core but I'll see what I can find out on it.

Just to mention, if there is an issue currently with the core, you could potentially use the Membership plugin for the moment to get around any such issues.

With it, you could provide restrictions to the forums based on whether the user is a registered member or not, using URL Groups in Membership to restrict access to particular areas.

It's admittedly a bit of an extensive workaround, but one that does have added benefits in that you'd be able to provide more strict access rules to other areas of your site if ever needed, or provide restrictions to BuddyPress messaging or other things.

I'll see what I can find on this one though.

Cheers,
    David

• David

Thanks David!

So to be clear on this recommendation.

1) Change my main group to Public, which resolves the search forum functionality and the Forum Directory button actually pulling back forum posts. Which to be clear the reason the Forum Directory button isn't working is because it sounds like by design it doesn't pull up threads for private groups (for some crazy reason).

2) Install the Membership Plugin and configure it to only allow access to forums IF a registered member. Which would be fine as I will never have the need to have any public forums for this site - public meaning search engines or non-registered users needing to see or index that content.

That will then allow for the following:

--> Registered members will essentially see nothing different.

--> I can lock out ALL content from the forum (and the activity stream) for that, and any, public group so no search engine can index that content. And easily so I don't have to worry about that, or constantly monitor, update, etc.

Is that correct? If so it doesn't sound that like that would be too hard to configure and I would consider that a decent work around, given that is a supported and frequently updated plugin by you guys. Let me know.

Thanks! David

• David

Ok, if you could read the last and let me know your thoughts.

Also you bring up an interesting point which might mean I messed up at the start. This is a multi-site, but I have everything installed at the root in a child site. Can I actually install this at the network level. Probably using the wrong terminology, but your comment about single/multi made me wonder, since I am always hoping back and forth between the network and site side to make changes. I thought I followed documentation, but I might of missed that. If so probably not an issue for this site, but for future it certainly will be.

David

• DavidM

Hi David,

Yes actually, you can definitely restrict access to the forums or other urls using the Membership plugin's URL Groups rule. It lets you provide restrictions based on urls that you specify. There are quite a number of existing threads that go into more detail on this too that I'll be happy to point out if you'll create a new thread for that. It'll help to keep the threads distinct so a new thread would help keep from confusion here.

Cheers,
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.