Forum Interface vs. Activity Interface

I’m not sure exactly what category this question goes under, so forgive me if I picked the wrong one…

Now that my site is up and running, I’m getting feedback on what people like and don’t like…

1) They LOVE the ease with which you can put pics, links and vids into the Activity stream. I do too. It’s simple, easy and really quite elegant!

2) They HATE the cumbersome, non-intuitive interface of the Forum proper. Unlike the interface in the Activity stream, you have to learn a specialized interface, which is different for each type of use (pic, vid, link), understand some rudimentary HTML, insert the right code in the right place in the right way…

Can you say DISASTER?!?!? Particularly because most of our users ARE NOT sophisticated web users. Many have trouble just signing up for the site, much less using it.

So…

A) Am I doing this right? Is there something about sitewide forums I need to know that I’m missing? Is there a way to make the Forum work like Activity, insofar as adding content goes?

B) If not, is this more user-friendly method coming? Can we lobby bbpress (I think it’s their app) to make this more like Buddypress (assuming I’m attributing the right interface to the right party)? Or am I just screwed on this front?

I hope this made sense, and I would appreciate any help you can provide.