Forum Posts with missing Edit/Delete links

Hi,

I have placed my Forum for members in a Membership protected page.

The Forum Plugin works well and fast except that members are complaining they cannot Edit nor Delete their forum posts.

I discovered that only Admin have Edit/Delete function links at each post. Other levels such as Authors, Contributors and Editors are missing these 2 important functions. I can't be giving Admin privileges to members just for that sake.

Please advice on what I can do about this.

Thanks

• aristath

Hello there @Azmanar, i hope you're well today!

The forums plugin is designed as a really simple solution for forums... It does not have user-rights management out of the box, so the only way I can thing of for doing this would be to "hack" the plugin core files.
    Try changing line 743 of the main plugin file from
    if(current_user_can('manage_options')) {
    to
    if(current_user_can('edit_posts')) {
    though I would really advise against that...
    If you want a more feature-rich plugin for forums, maybe this plugin is not the best solution for you and you should consider using bbPress instead (which has these options).

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Azmanar

Hi Ari,

Loved Forums Plugin for it's lightweight, simplicity and speed. Unfortunately it is missing the necessary Edit and Delete functions for users. As you have advised against hacking the core file, I wouldn't want to do it.

Tried using User Role Editor to overcome this issue. Didn't work.

I'm assuming that BBPress is a full-fledge framework, just like WP itself. This would be an overkill.

I'll have to find an alternative similar to WPMUDEV Forums Plugin with slightly more functionalities.

Thanks for the response.

• calvinrogercanas

Hey there Azmanar,

Hope you're well! :slight_smile:

The solution gave by Ari is good. Since you don't want to use bbPress and want a lighter forum function then I suggest you follow the fix by Ari just keep in mind that if you update the modification you made will lose so keep a reminder or something containing this solution so in future if you update the plugin you know what to do. :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Calvin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.