Forums have disappeared after upgrade to Buddypress 1.6.1 Help?

I have Wordpress 3.4.1, multisite and Buddypress 1.6.1. I use group forums, not sitewide.

I think this is a Buddypress issue, not a WPMUDev theme/plug in issue, but you guys have been so great at helping me troubleshoot in the past that I'm trying my luck here :slight_smile:

After upgrading to Buddypress 1.6.1, the http://storyaday.org/forums link led to nothing, and each group's forum link (in the Buddybar, which I elected to leave on) goes nowhere. White pages only.

I was turning off plugins to see if that was the problem when I got the old admin white screen of death. I went into the database and disabled some of the plug-ins, following instructions I found online. That got me back into the admin panel. However, my forum links are still going nowhere.

On the Buddypress/settings page, I opted to use an existing install of bbpress for the groups, but while the groups are there, the forum links go to white pages. In the settings it says I need to provide the absolute path to my bbpress configuration file. I've found two files in different places, both called 'bb-config.php' and tried the path to both (/home/username/public_html...etc) but no joy.

Now my site is loading really slowly too.

I'm not very good at reading error logs, but I know how to find them, if that helps.

Anyone seen/solved this problem before?

Thanks!
Julie

• storyaday

Thanks Timothy,

Looking at the error logs, it REALLY hates Google Analytics for Wordpress and I've turned that off.

The first set of errors from last night go like this:

[29-Aug-2012 03:36:33] WordPress database error Unknown column 'a.is_spam' in 'where clause' for query SELECT a.*, u.user_email, u.user_nicename, u.user_login, u.display_name  FROM wp_bp_activity a LEFT JOIN wp_users u ON a.user_id = u.ID WHERE a.is_spam = 0 AND a.hide_sitewide = 0 AND a.type != 'activity_comment' ORDER BY a.date_recorded DESC LIMIT 0, 20 made by require('wp-blog-header.php'), require_once('wp-includes/template-loader.php'), do_action('template_redirect'), call_user_func_array, bp_template_redirect, do_action('bp_template_redirect'), call_user_func_array, bp_screens, do_action('bp_screens'), call_user_func_array, bp_activity_screen_index, bp_core_load_template, load_template, require_once('/themes/bp-corporate-1/activity/index.php'), locate_template, load_template, require_once('/themes/bp-corporate-1/activity/activity-loop.php'), bp_has_activities, BP_Activity_Template->__construct, bp_activity_get, BP_Activity_Activity::get
    [29-Aug-2012 03:36:34] WordPress database error Unknown column 'a.is_spam' in 'where clause' for query SELECT count(a.id) FROM wp_bp_activity a USE INDEX (type) WHERE a.is_spam = 0 AND a.hide_sitewide = 0 AND a.type != 'activity_comment' ORDER BY a.date_recorded DESC made by require('wp-blog-header.php'), require_once('wp-includes/template-loader.php'), do_action('template_redirect'), call_user_func_array, bp_template_redirect, do_action('bp_template_redirect'), call_user_func_array, bp_screens, do_action('bp_screens'), call_user_func_array, bp_activity_screen_index, bp_core_load_template, load_template, require_once('/themes/bp-corporate-1/activity/index.php'), locate_template, load_template, require_once('/themes/bp-corporate-1/activity/activity-loop.php'), bp_has_activities, BP_Activity_Template->__construct, bp_activity_get, BP_Activity_Activity::get
    [29-Aug-2012 03:36:34] WordPress database error Unknown column 'a.is_spam' in 'where clause' for query SELECT a.*, u.user_email, u.user_nicename, u.user_login, u.display_name  FROM wp_bp_activity a LEFT JOIN wp_users u ON a.user_id = u.ID WHERE a.is_spam = 0 AND a.type IN ( 'new_blog_post' ) AND a.hide_sitewide = 0 AND a.type != 'activity_comment' ORDER BY a.date_recorded DESC LIMIT 0, 10 made by require('wp-blog-header.php'), require_once('wp-includes/template-loader.php'), do_action('template_redirect'), call_user_func_array, bp_template_redirect, do_action('bp_template_redirect'), call_user_func_array, bp_screens, do_action('bp_screens'), call_user_func_array, bp_activity_screen_index, bp_core_load_template, load_template, require_once('/themes/bp-corporate-1/activity/index.php'), get_sidebar, locate_template, load_template, require_once('/themes/bp-corporate-1/sidebar.php'), locate_template, load_template, require_once('/themes/bp-corporate-1/lib/templates/bp-template/optionsbar.php'), dynamic_sidebar, call_user_func_array, WP_Widget->display_callback, BP_Blogs_Recent_Posts_Widget->widget, bp_has_activities, BP_Activity_Template->__construct, bp_activity_get, BP_Activity_Activity::get
    [29-Aug-2012 03:36:34] WordPress database error Unknown column 'a.is_spam' in 'where clause' for query SELECT count(a.id) FROM wp_bp_activity a USE INDEX (type) WHERE a.is_spam = 0 AND a.type IN ( 'new_blog_post' ) AND a.hide_sitewide = 0 AND a.type != 'activity_comment' ORDER BY a.date_recorded DESC made by require('wp-blog-header.php'), require_once('wp-includes/template-loader.php'), do_action('template_redirect'), call_user_func_array, bp_template_redirect, do_action('bp_template_redirect'), call_user_func_array, bp_screens, do_action('bp_screens'), call_user_func_array, bp_activity_screen_index, bp_core_load_template, load_template, require_once('/themes/bp-corporate-1/activity/index.php'), get_sidebar, locate_template, load_template, require_once('/themes/bp-corporate-1/sidebar.php'), locate_template, load_template, require_once('/themes/bp-corporate-1/lib/templates/bp-template/optionsbar.php'), dynamic_sidebar, call_user_func_array, WP_Widget->display_callback, BP_Blogs_Recent_Posts_Widget->widget, bp_has_activities, BP_Activity_Template->__construct, bp_activity_get, BP_Activity_Activity::get
    [29-Aug-2012 03:36:48] WordPress database error Unknown column 'a.is_spam' in 'where clause' for query SELECT a.*, u.user_email, u.user_nicename, u.user_login, u.display_name  FROM wp_bp_activity a LEFT JOIN wp_users u ON a.user_id = u.ID WHERE a.is_spam = 0 AND a.hide_sitewide = 0 AND a.type != 'activity_comment' ORDER BY a.date_recorded DESC LIMIT 0, 20 made by require('wp-blog-header.php'), require_once('wp-includes/template-loader.php'), do_action('template_redirect'), call_user_func_array, bp_template_redirect, do_action('bp_template_redirect'), call_user_func_array, bp_screens, do_action('bp_screens'), call_user_func_array, bp_activity_screen_index, bp_core_load_template, load_template, require_once('/themes/bp-corporate-1/activity/index.php'), locate_template, load_template, require_once('/themes/bp-corporate-1/activity/activity-loop.php'), bp_has_activities, BP_Activity_Template->__construct, bp_activity_get, BP_Activity_Activity::get
    [29-Aug-2012 03:36:48] WordPress database error Unknown column 'a.is_spam' in 'where clause' for query SELECT count(a.id) FROM wp_bp_activity a USE INDEX (type) WHERE a.is_spam = 0 AND a.hide_sitewide = 0 AND a.type != 'activity_comment' ORDER BY a.date_recorded DESC made by require('wp-blog-header.php'), require_once('wp-includes/template-loader.php'), do_action('template_redirect'), call_user_func_array, bp_template_redirect, do_action('bp_template_redirect'), call_user_func_array, bp_screens, do_action('bp_screens'), call_user_func_array, bp_activity_screen_index, bp_core_load_template, load_template, require_once('/themes/bp-corporate-1/activity/index.php'), locate_template, load_template, require_once('/themes/bp-corporate-1/activity/activity-loop.php'), bp_has_activities, BP_Activity_Template->__construct, bp_activity_get, BP_Activity_Activity::get
    [29-Aug-2012 03:36:48] WordPress database error Unknown column 'a.is_spam' in 'where clause' for query SELECT a.*, u.user_email, u.user_nicename, u.user_login, u.display_name  FROM wp_bp_activity a LEFT JOIN wp_users u ON a.user_id = u.ID WHERE a.is_spam = 0 AND a.type IN ( 'new_blog_post' ) AND a.hide_sitewide = 0 AND a.type != 'activity_comment' ORDER BY a.date_recorded DESC LIMIT 0, 10 made by require('wp-blog-header.php'), require_once('wp-includes/template-loader.php'), do_action('template_redirect'), call_user_func_array, bp_template_redirect, do_action('bp_template_redirect'), call_user_func_array, bp_screens, do_action('bp_screens'), call_user_func_array, bp_activity_screen_index, bp_core_load_template, load_template, require_once('/themes/bp-corporate-1/activity/index.php'), get_sidebar, locate_template, load_template, require_once('/themes/bp-corporate-1/sidebar.php'), locate_template, load_template, require_once('/themes/bp-corporate-1/lib/templates/bp-template/optionsbar.php'), dynamic_sidebar, call_user_func_array, WP_Widget->display_callback, BP_Blogs_Recent_Posts_Widget->widget, bp_has_activities, BP_Activity_Template->__construct, bp_activity_get, BP_Activity_Activity::get
    [29-Aug-2012 03:36:48] WordPress database error Unknown column 'a.is_spam' in 'where clause' for query SELECT count(a.id) FROM wp_bp_activity a USE INDEX (type) WHERE a.is_spam = 0 AND a.type IN ( 'new_blog_post' ) AND a.hide_sitewide = 0 AND a.type != 'activity_comment' ORDER BY a.date_recorded DESC made by require('wp-blog-header.php'), require_once('wp-includes/template-loader.php'), do_action('template_redirect'), call_user_func_array, bp_template_redirect, do_action('bp_template_redirect'), call_user_func_array, bp_screens, do_action('bp_screens'), call_user_func_array, bp_activity_screen_index, bp_core_load_template, load_template, require_once('/themes/bp-corporate-1/activity/index.php'), get_sidebar, locate_template, load_template, require_once('/themes/bp-corporate-1/sidebar.php'), locate_template, load_template, require_once('/themes/bp-corporate-1/lib/templates/bp-template/optionsbar.php'), dynamic_sidebar, call_user_func_array, WP_Widget->display_callback, BP_Blogs_Recent_Posts_Widget->widget, bp_has_activities, BP_Activity_Template->__construct, bp_activity_get, BP_Activity_Activity::get
    [29-Aug-2012 03:37:43] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function  bb_get_id_from_slug() in /home2/jdwritec/public_html/storyaday/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-forums/bp-forums-functions.php on line 178
    [29-Aug-2012 03:37:43] PHP Fatal error:  Call to a member function get() on a non-object in /home2/jdwritec/public_html/storyaday/wp-includes/cache.php on line 113
    [29-Aug-2012 03:40:49] PHP Fatal error:  require() [<a href='function.require'>function.require</a>]: Failed opening required '' (include_path='.:/usr/lib64/php:/usr/lib/php:/usr/share/pear') in /home2/jdwritec/public_html/storyaday/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-forums/bp-forums-bbpress-sa.php on line 42
    [29-Aug-2012 03:40:59] PHP Fatal error:  require() [<a href='function.require'>function.require</a>]: Failed opening required '' (include_path='.:/usr/lib64/php:/usr/lib/php:/usr/share/pear') in /home2/USERNAME/public_html/storyaday/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-forums/bp-forums-bbpress-sa.php on line 42
    [29-Aug-2012 03:45:08] PHP Fatal error:  require() [<a href='function.require'>function.require</a>]: Failed opening required '' (include_path='.:/usr/lib64/php:/usr/lib/php:/usr/share/pear') in /home2/USERNAME/public_html/storyaday/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-forums/bp-forums-bbpress-sa.php on line 42
    [29-Aug-2012 03:46:33] PHP Fatal error:  require() [<a href='function.require'>function.require</a>]: Failed opening required '' (include_path='.:/usr/lib64/php:/usr/lib/php:/usr/share/pear') in /home2/USERNAME/public_html/storyaday/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-forums/bp-forums-bbpress-sa.php on line 42
    [29-Aug-2012 03:47:02] PHP Fatal error:  require() [<a href='function.require'>function.require</a>]: Failed opening required '' (include_path='.:/usr/lib64/php:/usr/lib/php:/usr/share/pear') in /home2/USERNAME/public_html/storyaday/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-forums/bp-forums-bbpress-sa.php on line 42
    [29-Aug-2012 03:47:12] PHP Fatal error:  require() [<a href='function.require'>function.require</a>]: Failed opening required '' (include_path='.:/usr/lib64/php:/usr/lib/php:/usr/share/pear') in /home2/USERNAME/public_html/storyaday/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-forums/bp-forums-bbpress-sa.php on line 42
    [29-Aug-2012 03:48:05] PHP Warning:  mkdir() [<a href='function.mkdir'>function.mkdir</a>]: Permission denied in /home2/USERNAME/public_html/storyaday/wp-content/plugins/backwpup/job/job_start.php on line 165
    [29-Aug-2012 03:48:05] PHP Fatal error:  Can not create folder for backups: /home6/jdwritec/public_html/storyaday/wp-content/backwpup-c795a/ in /home2/USERNAME/public_html/storyaday/wp-content/plugins/backwpup/job/job_start.php on line 166
    [29-Aug-2012 03:59:11] PHP Warning:  mkdir() [<a href='function.mkdir'>function.mkdir</a>]: Permission denied in /home2/USERNAME/public_html/storyaday/wp-content/plugins/backwpup/job/job_start.php on line 165
    [29-Aug-2012 03:59:11] PHP Fatal error:  Can not create folder for backups: /home6/jdwritec/public_html/storyaday/wp-content/backwpup-c795a/ in /home2/USERNAME/public_html/storyaday/wp-content/plugins/backwpup/job/job_start.php on line 166

There are a whole bunch of these

[29-Aug-2012 22:31:58] PHP Fatal error: require() [<a href='function.require'>function.require</a>]: Failed opening required '' (include_path='.:/usr/lib64/php:/usr/lib/php:/usr/share/pear') in /home2/USERNAME/public_html/storyaday/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-forums/bp-forums-bbpress-sa.php on line 42

and

[29-Aug-2012 19:26:51] PHP Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class BB_Query_Form in /home2/USERNAME/public_html/storyaday/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-forums/bbpress/bb-includes/class.bb-query.php on line 1037

oh, and this one wasn't there last night:

[29-Aug-2012 18:24:34] WordPress database error Duplicate entry 'scriptgal' for key 'user_login' for query INSERT INTOwp_users(user_pass,user_email,user_url,user_nicename,display_name,user_registered,user_login) VALUES ('$P$BeSvoOmJcT7puwgkpZMvOChpzQ88JR/','simsgalnla@gmail.com','','scriptgal','scriptgal','2012-08-29 18:24:34','scriptgal') made by require('wp-blog-header.php'), require_once('wp-includes/template-loader.php'), do_action('template_redirect'), call_user_func_array, bp_template_redirect, do_action('bp_template_redirect'), call_user_func_array, bp_screens, do_action('bp_screens'), call_user_func_array, bp_core_screen_activation, bp_core_activate_signup, wpmu_activate_signup, wpmu_create_user, wp_create_user, wp_insert_user

Big mess, eh?

Any insight greatly appreciated.

• Timothy Bowers

A lot of the initial ones there imply something is missing in the DB.

One like this:

PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function bb_get_id_from_slug()

Could be missing files. I'd download a fresh lot of BP files, unpack em, remove the old ones and upload the new ones.

Then try again.

It refers to the forums, so you could also go into the settings area and go through the settings and forum setup part again.

Another error:

[29-Aug-2012 03:59:11] PHP Warning: mkdir() [<a href='function.mkdir'>function.mkdir</a>]: Permission denied in /home2/USERNAME/public_html/storyaday/wp-content/plugins/backwpup/job/job_start.php on line 165

Is a permission, issue check the file and folder permission for the Back WP Up plugin. mkdir is trying to make a directory so probably wherever those backups are stored to.

But there are a number of errors there, I'd try the fresh files first.

If that doesn't work then tackle one error at a time.

Let me know how you get on with this first and we can then take it from there.

Thanks.

• storyaday

Nope. I've confused things by starting another thread about my themes, but I reinstalled EVERYTHING on my blog and still can't get the forums to show up.

I did not rebuilt from a back up though.

Now I'm starting to doubt my ability to open a Word document. Sheesh.

I think something's happened with the way Buddypress integrates bbPress but I can't get anyone from Buddypress to respond to anything (ever, in two and a half years) so I can't verify that.

Anyway, have a great weekend. You deserve it.
    Julie

• Timothy Bowers

Fixed.

I didn't have FTP so it took me a little longer. :slight_smile:

You have a message in your dash:

The wp-content/blogs.php file is deprecated. Please remove it and update your server rewrite rules to use wp-includes/ms-files.php instead.

Please follow those instructions. For an example of how the htaccess looks please see here:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Multisite_Network_Administration#.htaccess_and_Mod_Rewrite

Thanks.

• paulwhelms

Hey guys,

I have the same issue and it just came up without notice on this website. Tried everything stated here -- copied my bb-config file from root directory, then placed into a new folder. Selected "Use existing installation" and entered the new directory. Still not working. I haven't updated any plugins or changed anything since a few days ago.

Any thoughts? The only thing I can think of is that I exported the database as I'm preparing to move servers, but this shouldn't have affected anything since the existing database remains on my current server.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.