Found WP Defender Bug

My hosting provider locked down certain file permissions, which was necessary for me to load pages on my site. I had a 404 error lockout set to "ban permanently". Because I didn't know my shared server was under attack. I received these errors without knowing. I was added to the internal blacklist of the 404 lockout system, which is inaccessible via the wp admin screens. My IP address was, however, added to the IP banning whitelist of WP Defender. I received a permanent ban via 404 errors and that ban overrides the whitelist. So I was permanently banned, even though I was the site admin.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello SixTsevN,

I tried to replicate this issue you are reporting, but I could not. Then I noticed that your site is using CloudFlare and we have reports that Defender has problems with recognizing real IP of users and uses CF IPs instead. So that would explain why you whitelisted your IP and it didn't worked - because Defender sees you with CF IP.
    I spoke with developer and they provided me a hot fix for this, that I'm attaching.
    Replace file from zip in /wp-content/wp-defender/app/behavior (file utils.php) and Defender should start seeing your real IP.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• SixTsevN
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I'm afraid that this fix didn't provide the outcome that you were hoping for. I'm still banned.
    So, if I delete WP Defender and reinstall it and continue to use cloudflare, are you saying that they can't function together? So I have to choose one or the other?

I'd already consulted my hosting provider on this and they basically called me an idiot, for configuring WP Defender wrong. My website has had 3% uptime (according to "Up-time") for the last 30 days; because of these conflicts.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello SixTsevN,

I send message to developer that fix he provided is not working correctly on your site. At the moment - can you disable CloudFlare and see if your IP will be correctly recognized (and you should get back access to site)?
    Right now without solution for Defender I can't recommend using both :slight_frown:.
    I'm hoping I will get hot fix for this issue really soon from developer and you will be able to use it both.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• SixTsevN
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Dear Kasia,

I'm afraid this fix didn't recognise my whitelisted IP either.
    I suppose I could disable cloudflare, until such a time where it is compatible with Defender.

Thank you for your time, Kasia.
    It is very appreciated.

Yours sincerely,

SixT

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.