FrameMarket/GridMarket Questions

Per the plugin information about FrameMarket/GridMarket, its suppose to be super easy to set up. I’m still trying to do that two weeks later and it still doesn’t work.

Here’s the problems I need help with:

1. I have my site set up to be global and want the front page to show the products from all the members. The global setting has been chosen but the categories do not show up on the front page.

Here’s the instructions that I found:

“you would need to use the global shortcode and add support for shortcodes in widgets. That can be done in the theme, just add the following to your themes functions.php file:

add_filter(‘widget_text’, ‘do_shortcode’:wink:;

add_filter( ‘widget_text’, ‘shortcode_unautop’:wink:;

You can then use the shortcodes within a widget.”

A. What are shortcodes?

B. GridMarket is not set up with a widget selection for the side column for categories. The categories box already shows in the left hand column. It just isn’t showing the categories. I don’t want to run around in circles adding code that doesn’t fix the problem. I just want to know how to I fix this!

2. When I first got WPMU, there was a way to select whether I wanted to let people have a blog for free upon signing up for an account. I do not know where this setting is after all the updates. I do not want to give free blogs because of the amount of spam sign-ups received.

A. Where is the setting to not allow free blogs?

B. Is there any other setting that would need to occur to ensure that a paid account does get a blog?

Thanks!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings lalemire,

Thank you for these great questions, they are appreciated.

A. What are shortcodes?

I just Googled this for you and here is a definition of shortcodes as they apply to WordPress.

B. GridMarket is not set up with a widget selection for the side column for categories. The categories box already shows in the left hand column. It just isn’t showing the categories. I don’t want to run around in circles adding code that doesn’t fix the problem. I just want to know how to I fix this!

The Global shortcodes are listed here logged in as network admin go to –> Settings –> Market Press –> Scroll towards botoom of page they are listed there.

In addition, how many of the categories are populated? Usually categories with nothing in them do not show anyway.

If you do not want to apply yourself or learn what it takes to do custom coding as this certainly is since it is not out of the box, then you should hire someone to do it for you.

You could see if there’s a developer available at wpmu jobs who could get onto it right this minute

Or better yet you could always approach someone like Tweaky:

https://www.tweaky.com/

A. Where is the setting to not allow free blogs?

Do you have Pro Sites installed? Then the answer is in Pro Sites logged in as network admin go to –> Pro Sites –> Modules/Gateways –> Check mark Pay To Blog.

B. Is there any other setting that would need to occur to ensure that a paid account does get a blog?

Making sure that Pro Sites is completely filled out should do the job.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• lalemire
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Joe,

I appreciate the info. As an aside, when I purchased WPMU it never mentioned once that I needed to be a programmer in order to set up the site. As a matter of fact, the promotion stated that WPMU sets the site up for the customer. I love the functions of a WPMU site and really want to make it work. I don’t have a fortune to spend on programmers so I’ve been learning now to be a programmer so that I can set up and run my site.

Best,

Leigh Ann

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.