Pro Sites: Free Level Option on Checkout page

When someone creates a site and their first trip to the dashboard they are taken to the Pro Sites page with options for different payment options. Below the payment options is:
"No thank you, I will continue with a basic site for now, that links back to their site."
Problem: If they select that link to contiune on the free level, the next time from their dashboard they select the upgrade link and go to the Pro Site page, that link is no longer there.

• 3SixtyEvolve

Hi @russfinley

Greetings from the WPMU DEV Support Team and thank you for being a member.

Is it possible to provide me with a link to your site so that I can check this? Unfortunately I am not able to recreate this error (my setup might be different to yours) so in order to investigate further I would need to see your site.

It would also be good to rule out any plugin conflicts by deactivating other plugins and checking if the problem still persist. If all other plugins are deactivated and you still have this error, then I will ask the Developer to check in and see your site as well.

I look forward to your feedback, assisting you further and getting this sorted.

Have a good day!

GinaB

• russfinley

I have the Advertising, Premium Themes, Premium Plugins and Upload Quotas installed.
    I do not have the Pay to blog module installed.
    When someone creates a blog and tries to go to the dashboard they are automatically sent to the Prosite checkout page. I have three paid levels and at the bottom is the "No thank you, I will continue with a basic site for now" tab that links back to their site. The only way you can get to the dashboard is by first click this link.

The problem is when they are in their dashboard and they click the Pro Site Upgrade link, when they get to the Pro Sites checkout page this time, the Free Level link is no longer there.

Thanks for your help
    Russ Finley

• russfinley

A member for over two years. This is my second post.
    I signed up 2 years ago while working on updating the site http://yellowstone.net , a site that has been very active since 1997.

I've been a big fan of the support and offerings of WPMU DEV.

The new site is now live and I want to offer WPMU DEV's premier plugin features, pro sites, to my visitors and after 2 weeks I can't get anyone from wpmu to even look at my question/problem I am having. Really disappointing. I am GinaB's "Top Priority" - over a week since I heard a thing and that was nothing but the generic disable other plugins and such. WOW a few hundred dollars for that.

It seems that, after 2 years and not a lot of complaint posting, my lousy 10 reputations points are worth nothing. Maybe I should complain more. This site has been great up up till now, but clearly my concern is not very important.

Russ Finley
    http://yellowstone.net

• 3SixtyEvolve

Hi Russ

Massive apology for not responding sooner. I completely overlooked your last few posts and I profusely apologize for that. I can assure you that I take my support role very serious and believe that it is a way to add value to people and businesses. So to see you unhappy about my service is something that I would like to change.

Please allow me to assist you - I'm offering my complete 200% support. I am available on email gina at incsub dot com and I would like to ensure that this is sorted at the earliest.

I had a look at your website and in all sincerity, you have done an amazing job so far. I created an account and after verification logged in, but wasn't able to see the dashboard to upgrade. I did notice that you're using BuddyPress, but couldn't find the Pro Sites upgrade page.

I look forward to your response and changing your opinion about me and indirectly WPMU DEV. I can assure you we are passionate about our support and getting folks sorted.

Have a good day!

Gina

• russfinley

Thank you Gina,

If you could please:
    Create a (we are using the term site not blog) site here: http://yellowstone.net/blogs/create
    Go to your new site
    Go to the Dashboard - it will take you to the pro site page.
    On the pro site page click on the "No thank you, I will continue with a basic site for now" button to go back to your dashboard.
    In your dashboard click on the "YNet Upgrade" link. This will take you to the pro site page and now you will see that the Free level is no longer available as an option.

Russ Finley

• 3SixtyEvolve

Hi Russ

Thank you for your latest posts and also for letting me know that there are others with the same problem. We will work on getting this resolved at the earliest.

I followed the instructions that you gave and as you mentioned, the free level is now not available to me anymore. I think this might be because the Plugin has you already on the free level, so it therefore doesn't show you that option again.

I will ask for feedback from the Developer to see if this is supposed to work like that. He will be online later today, since we're on different timings, but I will try to have an answer with you as soon as possible.

Again, sincere apologies. I don't want to see any member unhappy, especially not be cause of me.

All the best with your site. It is actually very nicely done.

Gina

• Timothy Bowers

Hey guys.

Sorry this seems to have taken a while, I think there may well have been a misunderstanding here.

When someone creates a site and their first trip to the dashboard they are taken to the Pro Sites page with options for different payment options. Below the payment options is:
    "No thank you, I will continue with a basic site for now, that links back to their site."
    Problem: If they select that link to contiune on the free level, the next time from their dashboard they select the upgrade link and go to the Pro Site page, that link is no longer there.

That is the intended and default behaviour because once you select to have a free website, its done and dusted so does not need to show back up.

So if you want it there all the time as a real quick fix then:

Open this file:

/pro-sites/pro-sites.php

And around line 3268 change:

if (get_blog_option($blog_id, 'psts_signed_up') && !apply_filters('psts_prevent_dismiss', false) ) {

to:

if ( !is_pro_site($blog_id) && !apply_filters('psts_prevent_dismiss', false) ) {

Leave the psts_prevent_dismiss there as thats for pay to blog.

So this checks if the site is a pro site, and if you are using pay to blog but if not on both of those then show the "I want a free site".

It will then show all the time. (Unless they are actually on a premium level)

You will need to make this change every time you update Pro Sites as this is not the intended and default behaviour at the moment.

I'm real sorry you had to wait so long for this answer.

Take care.

• russfinley

Thanks Timothy - better late than never.

For my setup this works much better than a one shot deal when they first go to their dashboard.

A simple "That is the intended and default behavior" 2 weeks ago would have been ok but I got "Unfortunately I am not able to recreate this error (my setup might be different to yours)" from support so I thought I had a problem in my set up.

This is much better, getting a fix to fit my need - Big Thanks

Russ Finley

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Russ.

I can appreciate how frustrating this must have been and I'm really sorry about that. I was only personally made aware of your thread shortly before my response.

Gina is still finding her feet with the many plugins and themes we offer and perhaps that is where the misunderstanding was from on the intended functionality.

Again I'm real sorry about the run around here and you are most welcome for the fix tailored to your needs. :slight_smile:

I know I already said this before but just wanted to iterate again, with this being a core change to the plugin that when you come to update the plugin unless this or something similar has been adopted then you would need to make the change again. (so you might want to bookmark the thread for now)

This is much better, getting a fix to fit my need - Big Thanks

You are most welcome and once again please accept my apologies for the delay in response here.

Take care.

• Paul Barthmaier

Hi Russ,

I know where you are, man, with the frustration, but I have to say, you are lucky that you have Timothy on the job here. He's top dog for me, as seen in his profile pic, for customer service. Gina, too, has great response time, normally. I can surely imagine it would be easy to get inundated as a support person around here, and I have felt forgotten about a few times. I wonder, though, if there would be some way to keep better track of open tickets and the emotions attached to each.

• 3SixtyEvolve

Hi Russ

I would like to personally apologize for the runaround that I caused - I honestly thought there was something wrong with the Plugin after testing and finding the same as you - hence I reported the 'error'. It was never my intention to cause you any inconvenience and I sincerely apologize for it.

I hope that this isolated incident will not be the weighing power in your opinion of our service (or mine in particular) and I hope that I will have the opportunity to assist you in the future.

All the best.

Gina

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Pali, thanks for the kind comments. :slight_smile:

Hey rossterling.

I'm real sorry you feel that way. Its not always possible to please everyone but we do try. Just recently our support team grew from 2 to 5. As our support staff work on Forums, email (pre-sales/accounts) and writing documents it takes time for them to become familiar with absolutely everything.

Obviously hiring a developer would cost between $20 to $200+ per hour for one on one support depending on developer and company. Our wording "like having your own developer." is based around the fact that we offer plugins and themes which if you had developed separately would cost many thousands of dollars but not only that alone, its the fact that we take user input and develop our projects around what our members want. Thats the important part of "like having your own developer."

Lets consider a couple of recent plugins for example:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/beta-version-for-pay-with-a-like

This plugin was developed after members asked for it, here is an example just weeks before it was released:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/pay-with-a-like

The same for our Events+ plugin and Pro Sites. I'm not sure where else you can find this sort of proactive development for such a low fee.

Now we are not perfect, we do make mistakes but where that happens we are open to admit that, this thread stands a good example.

All that said and done, if you have any issue with a thread which you do not feel resolved then please let me know. I will happily look into that for you.

Take care.

• rossterling

Timothy -
    Before I ask a question on the forum I spend a lot of time searching the forums for similar questions. I have seen many many instances of questions not ever getting a response for weeks and then getting the response "sorry we overlooked this post, did you get it sorted out?" I have also read negative reviews of WPMUDEV's support on outside forums and websites.

I am still dealing with the issue of my sign up emails not being sent and here is the thread I started a week ago:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/sign-up-emails-not-being-sent-to-member-or-admin

Today I am getting a dedicated IP for my website and hope the issue will be solved because the GoogleApps solution stopped working after two days. Now GoogleApps is blocking my sign up emails.

• Timothy Bowers

Before I ask a question on the forum I spend a lot of time searching the forums for similar questions. I have seen many many instances of questions not ever getting a response for weeks and then getting the response "sorry we overlooked this post, did you get it sorted out?"

Right and we are attempting to combat that, went from 2 to 5 support staff. Of course they are training up and getting to grips with all we offer and hope this will improve things.

If we need more staff in a month to handle higher loads then we will set more on.

I have also read negative reviews of WPMUDEV's support on outside forums and websites.

Of course, I'm not sure of one company which have 100% happy customers. Unfortunately we can't always please everyone.

I am still dealing with the issue of my sign up emails not being sent and here is the thread I started a week ago:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/sign-up-emails-not-being-sent-to-member-or-admin

I see Joe and Kimberly are both on there, but I'm going to pop over now to continue the rest of my response.

I believe this thread has served its purpose, so I'm going to close this for now.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.