Free level vs free trial signup process

It seems having a free level is default on Prosites. No problem. I have not enabled pay for blogging module. I have trial set for 30 days. When I sign up for a free site, I seem to be added to a free trial. This is ok. But I see a difference between having a free level and having a free trial that eventually expires and then starts charging.

I'm really flexible here, just trying to a lay of the land. I've also noticed that I don't seem to be asked for billing details upon signing up. So the "free" level doesn't have billing details attached to it, so how will it start billing the customer? And if it does expire, what happens? Does the site just get shut down? Just making sure I'm clear on how it works.

• Luís

Hi Christian ,

Hope you're doing well today!

The Free Trial is supposed to be used in a Pro level, is a way to your users check and test the "Pro" features in a free trial period, before being charged for it. In Pro Sites -> Settings , you can choose the "Free Trial Level".

However, the "Free Trial" option disables the free site option, new signups will get the free trial level (the level selected in the Settings) and after the trial period, the account will be "downgraded" to the "Free level" and users will be notified to make a payment.

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís

• Christian

So just to make sure I'm understanding you properly...

I have free trial set up, so:

Users can click on the link that says "no thanks, I just want a basic site for now" (I should probably change this text, no problem), and what they get upon signing up is a trial to the Pro level I designate. They do NOT need to pay for a trial, as it is free. After they sign up, they'll get full access to all the features of the Pro level I designate them to receive as part of the trial. After the trial period ends, they'll be prompted to pay, and if they don't pay, they'll be bumped down to the Free level. Is this accurate?

If so, can you please help me understand the following:
    1. When they're prompted to pay, how is it done? Are they blocked from accessing the site and required to pay, or is it much softer presentation, like a little nag screen at the top of their browser or something?
    2. If they don't sign up with billing details, I assume they are immediately bumped down to the Free level, correct? In other words, they have the ability to sign up for a proper subscription the entire length of the trial, and there's a countdown for the entire duration of their trial, so that's really all the "warning" trial membership should need. Is this accurate?
    3. How can I tell what features a Free level gets? Where are those settings? I see where I can turn Free level off by activating the "pay to blog" module. But the Pro levels have settings that enable me to designate what features are available to what level, but there doesn't seem to be a place to control what functionality goes with a Free site.

Your insight is much appreciated.

• Christian

For example, when I log in as an admin on a test site, I see the call to action at the top of my dashboard telling me how many days I have left and "check out now to prevent losing features..." But when I click on the link, it says "You are still within your trial period. Once your trial finishes your account will be automatically charged."

To me, this sounds like the billing is "automatically charged". But I haven't put any billing details in. Is there a way to tweak some of the language here without directly editing the plugin files? I'm flexible and don't want to get crazy with the implementation of this thing. I'm just checking out all the settings to get as familiar as possible before we start selling. Our clients are not often the tech savvy type, so I want to make sure it's as easy to use as possible.

• Luís

Hi Christian ,

Hope you're doing well today!

Firstly, sorry for the late reply and all the problems it may have caused.

Regarding to your questions:

1. When they're prompted to pay, how is it done? Are they blocked from accessing the site and required to pay, or is it much softer presentation, like a little nag screen at the top of their browser or something?

They still have access to the website (front and backend), however, the account will be "downgraded" to the Free level and they will receive an email notification about the expiration (this notification (and others) can be edited in Pro Sites -> Settings -> E-mail Notifications, "Expiration Email").

2. If they don't sign up with billing details, I assume they are immediately bumped down to the Free level, correct? In other words, they have the ability to sign up for a proper subscription the entire length of the trial, and there's a countdown for the entire duration of their trial, so that's really all the "warning" trial membership should need. Is this accurate?

Right.

3. How can I tell what features a Free level gets? Where are those settings? I see where I can turn Free level off by activating the "pay to blog" module. But the Pro levels have settings that enable me to designate what features are available to what level, but there doesn't seem to be a place to control what functionality goes with a Free site.

The Free level have the features defined by "default".

If you network enabled a plugin, all levels will be access to it, unless you use the "Premium Plugins" level and set which the "Minimum Level" can enable it.

Also, if in this module you set it to "Anyone" the Free level can enable it too.

The same thing happens with the Themes, Upload Quota, etc.

Is there a way to tweak some of the language here without directly editing the plugin files?

I will suggest you to use the language file to make those changes. To do that, please, try this procedure:

1) Go to "wp-content/plugins/pro-sites/pro-sites-files/languages" folder and download the "psts-default.pot" file;

2) Using a .pot editor, like Poedit add a translation to the strings you want;

3) When you save the file, Poedit will generate two files: .mo and .po;

4) Change the file name to include the language code:

I.E, if your site language is English (United States) defined in Settings -> General, your translation file should be:

psts-en_US.mo

5) Then upload the .mo file to "wp-content/languages/plugins" folder. If the folders doesn't exist, please create them.

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.