Free Listings and Paid Listings in Wordpress Directory

Is there any way of using the Wordpress Directory to allow free listings and enhanced paid listings?

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya!

Short answer is no, not without customising the plugin itself.

However, I'm surprised this hasn't been asked for sooner and it's certainly something I'd like to see. So I've moved this into feature requests and would love to see if anyone else is interested in getting this....

Cheers,
    Phil

• Martin Koss
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Joe: I look forward to the answer to your question. I was going to start out as a 'free' directory but I think you will find that the plugin is not designed to work without the payment form / paypal.

Be great if it would - certainly when launching a new directory.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hiya guys, I just wanted to chime in here to say that a free Directory would actually be possible using the Membership plugin.

Membership now has role integration so you could easily create a membership level and attach the Directory Member role to it. Plus, Membership provides quite a bit more customization options for the subscription payments.

It takes just a bit of a setup, but it's a very nice combination. :slight_smile:

• Moonworks
    • Code Wrangler

I think a good setup would be to link the directory plugin with the CustomPress plugin, giving full control over everything.

This would then give the directory sections, with payment info if required, and the control of creating post types, taxonomies & even custom fields for extra sections.

• james_trig
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

@ Masonjames, I installed the new version. However, when someone clicks on Sign up, it gives them the following message:

This feature is currently disabled by the system administrator.

What do I need to do to allow people to sign-up and register for free?

James

• Martin Koss

Saw the announcement that this plugin had been revamped... Sounds good.

Can I clarify: Is it now possible to set-up a directory that offers both Free AND Paid listings or can it only be set-up as Free OR Paid.

I'm hoping someone will be able to have
    Option 1. Free Listing
    Option 2. Paid Listing.

Before I got ahead and set one up, I thought I'd ask.

Cheers.

Martin

• james_trig
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks for this, one follow-up question. I did as you said and that was great, I was able to do a new sign-up. However, when I then went to "add a listing," that would not work, it gave me the message:

You don’t have permission to view this site. Please contact the system administrator.

I had already changed the permissions in general - settings - and made each role type capable of adding listings. Is there anything else I need to do?

James

• Martin Koss

Do you have a demo install of this plugin showing what it does and the options it provides for admin and for the user who may wish to get a directory listing, eith free or paid. It would be great to see an active directory that demonstrates being able to select free or paid listings and being able to log-in and update the listing.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Can I clarify: Is it now possible to set-up a directory that offers both Free AND Paid listings or can it only be set-up as Free OR Paid.

Free OR Paid. I'm undoubtedly missing something - why would someone choose to pay for a listing if they can have it for free?

You can always manually give someone a directory role and they'll have access for free.

Our demo is here: http://thewpdirectoryplugin.com/
    Note this only provides you wish front-end viewing. We don't have a demo where you can login and see how it works. To get a working demo to test free/paid logins you'll want to create a development environment with PayPal sandbox credentials. This is what I use locally for testing.

• Martin Koss

Mason

What I meant by 'free OR paid' is like many directories offer a free directory listing and an enhanced directory listing which is a PAID listing.

Sure, 90% of people choose the free listing and a small number will prefer the paid listing option with it's enhancements.

That's what I'm hoping to get on one of my sites.

Cheers.

Martin

• Martin Koss

Hi James

Ideally, looking at many directories around the web a 'paid' listing would:

- be shown above free listings.
    - include additional fields not available on the free listing (maybe their Twitter link, Facebook link, etc.,)
    - have additional style (name on bold, website link in bold, thumbnail image, for example)

I've been looking at a few directory systems (some are quite pricey) but am holding out to see what the WPMU Dev one will do.

Cheers.

Martin

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Martin,

Thanks for explaining what you'd like to have happen. We don't plan to incorporate this level of of free/paid listings at this point. There's two parts to it and I don't see that it would be terribly difficult to put together so if we have a lot of user's requesting this it'll get a bigger priority.

Firstly, you need the ability to provide both free and paid listings in the admin. Secondly, you'll have to have a function in the theme that will check for whether it is a free or paid listing and then do the appropriate actions (show below paid items, lack of additional fields, no styling, etc). This is doable, but is quite a bit more complex and probably a scenario where each site will want something slightly different.

For that reason, we'll probably leave this in the custom development territory for the time being. We're focused on getting everything running smoothly and integrating into both WordPress Multisite and BuddyPress efficiently. After that, we'll look at adding more features.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.