Free members cannot upgrade

Made a new thread as I said to close the other one and this problem is different.

Currently when a member registers a free subscription on my site, everything works great. If they goto upgrade their subscription they are presented with the page below in the screenshot.

I was told

"This is because membership has a limitation in allowing members to upgrade/move to another subscription. I believe by default it's 24 hours, but you can actually set it to a specific number of days through the settings in Membership>Options>Extras.
The purpose is to keep folks from "gaming" the system by picking one plan and then immediately moving to another. Hope this helps!"

I checked under options and its set to 1 day. However this test account was registered more than 3 days ago, and I still get the "upgrade is unavailable" button

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings dpaynex,

Looking at your screen shot I can see the problem I believe because it says under Free Membership Your membership is set to automatically renew which indicates that your have this membership subscription set to serial - which locks them into the membership subscription.

I believe the answer to this issue is to set the Free Membership to definite --> then a certain amount of days.

Please advise.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• dpaynex
    • Flash Drive

Ok.

But what if I do in fact want to have a free membership level that does not expire? Im using this with buddypress, so it wouldnt work too well if people making free accounts, posting, etc had their accounts end, or be forced into paid membership.

However I would like them to have the chance to upgrade if they so choose to a paid membership.

Also just tested by changing free membership to Finite just to test. Subscription page still shows "your subscription is set to renew automatically"

• dpaynex
    • Flash Drive

Ive tried setting the free membership to all the options. Serial, Finite, and Infinite.

All settings still show "upgrades not available" and all settings still show "Your subscription is set to automatically renew"

Serial, Finite, or Infinite seems to make no difference on this problem for me.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings dpaynex,

Sorry for the delay in a reply, it appears that it got eaten up by the ticket system.

I have not been able to resolve this to any definitive degree on my own installation.

Therefore I am going to see if I can get the lead developer with his invaluable insight into the Membership plugin to possibly offer us any advice/advise us on how to get this issue resolved.

I will try to get him in here asap.

Sincerely, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings dpaynex,

Though the lead devloper is still flagged to come in here and offer his insight, try setting the Free subscription to finite and for one day and please let me know if it indeed resolves the issue after one day.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.