Free Membership through custom signup form, allowing upgrade and downgrade options from their accoun

Hi everyone,
I have spent the last few hours reading post after post about these sorts of issues and have had no luck at all finding a solution to what seems to me a pretty simple problem.

I have 3 levels (guest, free member, paid member).
I have 4 subscriptions (free, paid1, paid2, paid3). (the paid subscriptions all have the same access to site, just different prices)

I use registration and login forms that are not the membership plugin's (ajax bar along the top of the site & woocommerce login/register form).

I simply would like anyone who registers on the site to be on the free subscription with access to the free level, even when signing up with our ajax register form. This is happening but only through the admin gateway. The free level should be the "standard" sign-up, granting access to just free level content (a bit more than a guest).

My main problem is here...

I need people to be able to simply click an upgrade link which will then display the 3 paid options for them to pick from and upon picking one, pay via paypal and be directed back to the site where there account is now of the premium level.

They then need the option to cancel their subscription (and drop back to free member) or change their subscription (from say $10/month to $90/year)... All of which is reflected in a "my account" page.

This to me seems straight forward and there has to be a way for this to work using the membership plugin, I just need some sort of direction, because after over 20 solid hours of fiddling and trying all options, custom registration code and anything else I can think of, I still am getting nowhere.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

• PC

Hello @Benbodhi Mantra

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

I can sense what the problem is. You are automatically putting the users on a free subscription as soon as they signup on the site and they are not getting an option to upgrade to a different subscription using the subscriptions page ? is that right ?

Well, if it is what you are talking about then can you please try the below approach.

1: Make sure that the users are not assigned to a free subscription as soon as they signup. Its not advisable if you are selling paid subscriptions on your site.

The reason is, if you are using a gateway, upgrade/downgrade can only be done using the same gateway. If a subscription is assigned by default, the gateway will not detect it and hence not give you an option to upgrade/downgrade.

You can set this in Membership >> Options >> General

If you have free user registration enabled on your site, select the subscription they will be assigned to initially.
    If you are using a paid subscription model - it is probably best to set this to "none".

Does that help you get a right direction ? Please let me know if it doesn't and I will be around.

Cheers, PC

• Benbodhi Mantra

Hey PC,
    Thanks for your reply!

I've tried it this way and as you say, the process works, but it means that anyone who is on a page, comes across a "sign up to download" link, they can then sign up using the ajax register button at the top and stay on the same page, revealing the download link for free members.

If we go the said route, people will have to visit a subscription page once they are a member, an unnecessary step in my opinion.

maybe there is a way to incorporate the free paypal subscription into my registration form? so then by default, they are signing up for a free subscription through the correct gateway allowing them to do so in a simple step and also allowing upgrade options...

• PC

Hiya,

maybe there is a way to incorporate the free paypal subscription into my registration form? so then by default, they are signing up for a free subscription through the correct gateway allowing them to do so in a simple step and also allowing upgrade options...

That is the reason why the pop up registration is included in the plugin.

You can have the members visit the page for registration, all the subscriptions will be listed there : eg : http://membership.wpdemo.in/register/

If they want to go for the free one, they can click signup and fillup the details and the subscription will automatically be applied on their account.

Cheers, PC

• Benbodhi Mantra

Hi PC,

Yeh this makes sense, but I guess at this point, I just need to know how to load the fancybox popup form from a link that is in the top bar of the header (available on every page of the site).

I have enqueued the 2 scripts that load on the register page normally, but keep getting the error:
    The requested content cannot be loaded.
    Please try again later.

If I can get a button from the top to work like this, it will solve a hell of a lot of my problems.

Thanks again!

• PC

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for posting back.

While its outside the scope of support we can provide here as it will involve custom development, I have tagged our lead developer on this thread to see if he has got a quick direction for you.

If you want someone dedicated to do this work for you, you can post a job requirement here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/

PS : I know that its an extra step, but why don't you do it this way.

Have a link to the registration page in the header > it takes the member to the registration page and then they register normally ?

Cheers, PC

• Benbodhi Mantra

Hey PC,
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    The main reason i need ajax registration on every page is because a user will reach a page where there is download links only available to logged in free members, so they need to be able to login/register on any page with ajax so that they are still on the same page and the download buttons show up.

I have semi-solved the problem now...
    I have the registration add everyone as a free member (which is a subscription and access level), which I know isn't recommended for paid models, because it drops them in via admin gateway.
    But I have also created a custom signup page and upgrade page, using css to hide the standard signup boxes, so when someone wants to upgrade, they can via my custom buttons and then are in the paypal gateway.

these users have 2 gateways and subscriptions, but that doesn't really matter as long as they can upgrade, downgrade and cancel.

there is a little problem with that anything i have only showing to free members (such as upgrade to gain higher level access) is still shown to the people who have upgraded because they continue to have the free member access aswell as the higher level... but as we get paid members I have been removing their free subscription with admin gateway so they are then purely in the paypal gateway and have control over their account.

It has been a long process, but this is as good as I can get it for now, especially since I needed to migrate 4000 members from another plugin, i needed a way for people to get from admin gateway subscriptions to paypal.

I hope all this makes sense and is of help to someone.

• Benbodhi Mantra

It would be really nice to set up my whole membership and login system really neatly, so I will be continuing work on this situation until I come up with a seamless solution, in which case I will post it for others to benefit from.

The fact that upgrade buttons don't show up for admin gateway accounts has made it a difficult task, but I guess I kind of succeeded in the end.

Thanks for all your help!!!

I'd also love to hear feedback from the developer!

Cheers
    Benbodhi

• PC

Hey Benbodhi,

Thanks for the detailed description. I am also waiting to hear from @Barry on this one to see if there is an easy way to achieve that.

The fact that upgrade buttons don't show up for admin gateway accounts has made it a difficult task, but I guess I kind of succeeded in the end.

Yeah, that happens when someone is assigned a subscription as soon as he signs up. The best way to take care of this is follow standard registration process. Register >> Choose a subscription

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.