FREE Trial Offers are not working

I have created a MONTHLY subscription membership with a 1 day free trial period. (Picture included).

No credit card information is collected because of the free trial period.

The free trial period has expired according to the MY ACCOUNT screen - and the only button available is a CHANGE button.

When I go to the CHANGE area - there is no RENEW button or PAY NOW button - only cancel. There is also NO INVOICE.

What am I doing wrong for free trials / collecting credit cards for payment upon the end of the free trial?

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Derek Hartley

Thanks for granting Support Access and I got the proper test site.

I just signed up for a membership and the went to my account page. But I've got an invoice already generated for me which had the proper amount. Please check the attached screenshots.

And when a user ends his trial, he is not shown "Renew", rather he is shown "Change" and it is normal behavior so that he can change his membership and try other membership plans to. If he doesn't want to change, then he can click on the invoice generated for him, pay for it and continue the current membership. When he pays for his membership and first period is over, then he will be shown "Renew" instead of "Change" in his account page.

Can you please try again and confirm?

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Derek Hartley
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

So I tried a new account using a monthly membership as I have in the previous test.

I can confirm that I signed up and that there IS in fact an invoice (see screenshot). In my previous test there was NOT an invoice.

I can confirm that when I click on the invoice it demonstrates that it is billing me for the proper amount - but there is a SIGNUP button, not a PAY button - but I'm still in the free trial period - so is this normal?

If I click on the SIGNUP button on the invoice - there is no option to PAY - again - I am still in the free trial period. I will check tomorrow (after the expiration of the free trial period) and see if there is an option to pay.

Can you confirm that... so far... these experiences are normal?

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Derek,

I can confirm that when I click on the invoice it demonstrates that it is billing me for the proper amount - but there is a SIGNUP button, not a PAY button - but I'm still in the free trial period - so is this normal?

This is expected behaviour. The idea of the free trial is that a user is able to try out the membership for a period of time, and only after that time has expired does he get prompted to make a payment.

If he wishes to stop his membership before the trial's over, then he could cancel. Otherwise, once he's used up his trial period, then he would be prompted to make a payment.

When the trial is over - the Singup button will redirect user to the payment page - there will be "Pay" button.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Derek Hartley
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

The free trial is still not working correctly. (Screenshots attached to match narrative below)

1. I went into the My Account section to verify that my subscription (trial) was over.
    2. I see that a payment was due on the 13th.
    3. I see the invoice, and I click on the invoice.
    4. The invoice still only has a SIGNUP button - there is no PAY INVOICE option.
    5. I clicked Sign Up anyway - just in case the button is beyond this initial screen.
    6. I receive notification that the payment gateway is processing - I never put in any credit card info.

The admin access to the site is still available for you to look at this yourself with the testuser account you created yesterday - that account should also be beyond the 1 day trial period now as well.

• Derek Hartley
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Yes, I'd still like it fixed - but I had to get my site up and running with something by today. I will re-enable Membership 2 on the test site....

I've re-enabled membership 2 on my staging site - http://cf9.99a.myftpupload.com, and you still have admin access.

I believe the problem comes from setting up a trial membership and the payment gateway that is selected is FREE GATEWAY. I have no options to change the gateway back to Stripe or Paypal - the only gateways I've selected for the appropriate membership.

• Derek Hartley
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Yes, I'd still like it fixed - but I had to get my site up and running with something by today. I will re-enable Membership 2 on the test site....

I've re-enabled membership 2 on my staging site - http://cf9.99a.myftpupload.com, and you still have admin access.

I believe the problem comes from setting up a trial membership and the payment gateway that is selected is FREE GATEWAY. I have no options to change the gateway back to Stripe or Paypal - the only gateways I've selected for the appropriate membership.

• sk
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi there,

Sorry to jump on your thread Derek, but did this get resolved? I have exactly the same scenario here with a 1 day trial period too. It really isn't the easiest of workflows for a user either...

• Derek Hartley
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

No problem! They are still working on it and they have been very responsive thus far. We ended up switching last night to a different membership system on our live site just because we ran out of time and needed to launch. But they are still investigating the issue on our production site so hopefully it leads to a bug fix shortly. Although it might be worthwhile to open your own thread if you don't see a response/fix here in the next 24-48 hours.

• sk

Thanks for the info Derek, and I'll have to go the same route and switch to another plugin unfortunately. I've run out of time too and found too many issues to be able to carry on using this which is a shame (coupons across that last several payments, integration with Ult FB not working and others).

Can I ask which other membership solution you chose in the end ? I think only Paid Membership Pro has the features I need :disappointed:

Many thanks

• Derek Hartley
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

That's what we went with: Paid Memberships Pro. We tried the free version first and liked it and quickly upgraded for the other features.

Not a knock on the folks at WPMUDev, who have been extremely responsive in trying to deal with our issue and the fact that we downloaded and used other of their premium plug-ins that worked just fine. We just couldn't get the membership part to work. I was hopeful because the other plug ins worked and it would have been great value to get everything in a single premium package with one provider but it didn't work out that way for us this time. But we are still using their other plug ins on our site.

• sk

Uh, all I wanted was a membership solution that allows people to signup, have free access for a certain period and then pay quickly via stripe if they want to keep accessing the content! It's exactly what this plugin says it will do, but after 2 weeks of messing around it turns out it isn't quite that simple :slight_frown:

Thanks for your input Derek. @Kasia Swiderska can you confirm that the plugin doesn't work like this and there's no way for the simple workflow above for the user?

Thx,
    Shorn.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Derek,

There is no access enabled on your staging site :slight_frown: - can you check it?

This is suppose to be like that - when members goes to trial, there is no other gateway payment involved - only after trial expires, and member does checkout in PayPal/Stripe the gateway changes.
    Did you try to signup when the status of membership is not "Trial" but "Trial Expired"?

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.