Free trial subscription issues

Hello,

I would like to ask a question about the subscriptions and the access levels.

I have been thinking a lot about what could be the best way to set up the levels and subscriptions and haven't found it yet.

I would like to have this subscription plans:

-Trial subscription: 7 day free access to the page without upgrading automatically to a paid subscription later, but of course, the users that subscribed to this plan, cannot renew for this trial subscription.

-1 month subscription: After the month, the users can renew for this subscription, or subscribe for other paid plan.

-3 months subscription: After 3 months, the users can renew for this subscription, or subscribe for other paid plan.

-6 months subscription: After 6 months, the users can renew for this subscription, or subscribe for other paid plan.

The problems come with the free trial subscription:

Is there a way to avoid that a user can renew this subscription but allow him to subscribe to a paid subscription?

I have thought about creating an access level called "trial plan expired" to change the subscribers from the "subscribed" access level to this one when the trial plan expires and add a negative rule to the "trial plan expired" access level not showing the subscription page for the trial subscription to the users in this access level. But, if I create this access level, could the users pay and change to a paid subscription if they want, coming back to the "subscribed" access level?

I'm not sure if I explained myself well, I hope so!

I would really appreciate any suggestions and help to sort this out.

Thanks

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Paula,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question! :slight_smile:

If I understand the setup correctly, you'll be using finite subscriptions, which are not automatically recurring.

Technically anyone could renew a free trial subscription out of the box, but one way around this is to use it so that the free subscription is private, have that on a separate page and then restrict access to that page for all levels by the Visitor level if that makes sense?

That way only a visitor without a subscription could sign up for it, rather than any user that has had it expire.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Paula

Thank you very much for your quick answer Jack,

The solution that you suggest could work, it's a good one, I only have a question:

Setting the access level in the way that only the visitors can see the trial subscription; if a user had a free trial subscription that ended, and visits the page without logging in, he could see the trial subscription, that's not a problem, it's ok. But, coming to the page as a visitor, if he tries to sign in again to this free trial subscription with the same email that he used in the first time, would he be able to subscribe again for the free trial subscription?

Setting up the subscriptions and access levels is kind of tricky, a lot of options and a lot of "ifs" that have to be considered :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for your help,

Paula

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Paula,

Hope you're well today, appreciate your patience here, sorry about the delay, I was away for the past 10 days.

Setting the access level in the way that only the visitors can see the trial subscription; if a user had a free trial subscription that ended, and visits the page without logging in, he could see the trial subscription, that's not a problem, it's ok. But, coming to the page as a visitor, if he tries to sign in again to this free trial subscription with the same email that he used in the first time, would he be able to subscribe again for the free trial subscription?

The user couldn't get around that, if using the same account they already have :slight_smile:

As any registered user with a subscription wouldn't have access to that page, so if they visit that page logged out and then logged in, they'd be redirected to the protected content page and wouldn't be able to sign up for the free trial again. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Paula

Hi Jack! Thank you for your answer.

I thought I had solved this issue but I just found out I didn't...

I realized that a user with an expired free trial subscription that is not logged in can see the free trial, thats ok, but when he tries to register again, there is a link under the registration form that says "I already have an account" if the user clicks there the login page appears and if the user logs in he automatically will be subscribed again as a free trial subscriber although he already was before. So the users can resubscribe again and again to the free trial... No good! Any idea about what to do?

Thanks!

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Paula,

Hope you're well today! :slight_smile:

So when the user is logged out and then sees the free subscriptions, clicks register, they log in and it applies the free subscription to them? It should redirect them to the protected content page as the page is protected, rather than letting them re-sign up.

Could you grant me support access please via the wp-admin > WPMU DEV > support > support and click "Grant Access".

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.