French BuddyPress with PWMUDEV

Hello,

I am going to install BuddyPress in french version.
I want it to be compatible with all plugins and themes from WPMUDEV.
But I could find BuddyPress in french version only with BuddyPress 1.2.9 and on WPMUDEV site it is said that plugins and themes are compatible with BuddyPress 1.6.3 . (For exemple Ultimate Facebook and Blogs MU)

The plugins and themes from WPMUDEV, are they compatible with BuddyPress 1.6.3 only?
Or does it mean they are up to date ready for BuddyPress 1.6.3 and can work very well with older version including BuddyPress 1.2.9 ?

(I would be glad to find a french BuddyPress 1.6.3 version if you know where?)

Regards

  • mort3n

    Hi,

    A french translation of BuddyPress is not available at BuddyPress
    http://translate.wordpress.org/projects/buddypress/dev
    However, it's 89% done, so you could log in and contribute the remaining 11%. Then a full translation of BP is available.

    You could also make your own translation of BP, in case you want it to be different than the official one.

    First the general answer, here

    http://codex.wordpress.org/Translating_WordPress

    Here's what I do when translating a plugin called myplugin:

    I use PoEdit. Make sure to go into File->Settings->Edit and check "Generate .mo file on save".

    In the myplugin folder there's a myplugin\languages subfolder. There you'll find the myplugin.po file.

    In PoEdit load the .po file.

    Save with the proper name for the language you need. You can find the naming conventions at http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_in_Your_Language

    For French it would be myplugin-fr_FR.po

    Now translate each string in the catalogue.

    Save.

    You will now have the two files myplugin-fr_FR.po and myplugin-fr_FR.mo.

    FTP the files into the subfolder myplugin\languages on the server.

    Assuming your site language is set to Dutch the plugin strings should now appear in French.

    Cheers
    Mort3n

  • aecnu

    Greetings palmipede,

    Thank you for your input but there really is no such thing as a French version of Buddy Press, just a translated version and probably in the very format (mo/po) that Mort3n has described above.

    Then the plugins you get from WPMU DEV would also need to be translated using the same format (mo/po) to have them presentable in French.

    That will certainly do the job for you.

    For translating these files, First the general answer, here

    http://codex.wordpress.org/Translating_WordPress

    Here's what I do when translating a plugin called myplugin:

    I use PoEdit. Make sure to go into File->Settings->Edit and check "Generate .mo file on save".

    In the myplugin folder there's a myplugin\languages subfolder. There you'll find the myplugin.po file that aecnu referred to.

    In PoEdit load the .po file.

    Save with the proper name for the language you need, ie. myplugin-it_IT.po

    Now translate each string in the catalogue.

    Save.

    You will now have the two files myplugin-it_IT.po and myplugin-it_IT.mo.

    FTP the files into the subfolder myplugin\languages on the server.

    Assuming your site language is set to Italian the plugin strings should now appear in Italian.

    NOTE: In most plugins the file to load initially is a .POT file. In that case you choose Create catalogue from .POT file in PoEdit and proceed as above.

    That should take care of everything for you.

    Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

    Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.