Friendly UX with website built on filtering

Hi there.

Thank you for dropping by!

I'm an average Joe, and a novice when it comes to building websites. Currently, I'm a part of a Think Tank, for a lady that runs multiple health- and lifestyle blogs.

Said lady wanted suggestions on how to make less content, and focus on 1-2 sites, instead of 10. She's agreed to "kill her darlings" and concentrate more effort, on less.

I suggested we incorporate the use of filtering on one of her websites. When she asked me "how", all I could do was to tell her about a website I stumbled across the other day, called askgamblers.

It has nothing to to with our bosses market and niches, but the site make great use of filtering.

Which brings me to this:

She uses a theme called DIVI, and she wonder's if the same type of filtering is achievable on her standard wordpress site. As far as I know, we can make use of "tags", and "categories" but I am not sure. I am a writer - not a developer.

If you could please point me in the right direction, or give me a few hints on how to create such a site - I am very happy.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Ragnar,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The site (if I found the right one in Google) seems to be built around "categorized content" and that's something WordPress supports out of the box - using categories as you already mentioned.

"Judging by the book" - as I can only see front-end of the site and not its backend - most of it could be build using just standard WP installation with a nice theme of choice (or even Divi that your customer already uses) with just a few additional plugins optionally.

I realize it's rather a "general answer" but it's also a bit difficult to give more specific tips not knowing exactly what's the goal and what would be the "source material"

Having that said, I assume that by "filtering" you mean e.g. what you see when you however over "Browse" menu item on that site, right? In WordPress that would be categories. Tags are other way to "organize content" but they are less "structurized" - it's a "flat structure" while categories can be hierarchical.

If you could elaborate a bit more on your goals and the way the content should be organized and how the site should work, I hope I'd be able to give you a bit more suggestions.

Best regards,
    Adam