Friends Plugin

I've added to my mu, the friends plugin but there is a problem, an users that already have friends, can do an other request to begin friends and so his blog is showed two times in friends list. the plugin don do any check ?

• jcnjr

Wasn't sure whether I should resurrect this old post or start a new one, so here goes ...

I just downloaded and am testing the latest version (1.1.3) of the Friends plugin. It seems to be working fine, but I noticed the folowing issues:

1. The plugin code itself reads "Plugin Name: Report Posts Comments". That should be an easy fix! :wink:

2. There is no action for messaging friends in the Friends admin. Can I assume this just requires the Messaging plugin to be installed? The install instructions do not indicate that it is required.

3. There is no link for adding a user as a friend in the widget. And yes, I logged in as a different user who is not a friend and visited the blog with the widget enabled, yet no friending link was visible.

4. FYI: Install instructions do not mention how to enable friend approval, which I discovered in the plugin Config section.

Thanks for any input!

• Andrew

Hiya,

1. The plugin code itself reads "Plugin Name: Report Posts Comments". That should be an easy fix! :wink:

Already fixed locally. We're not going to issue an update just for that though :wink:

There is no action for messaging friends in the Friends admin. Can I assume this just requires the Messaging plugin to be installed? The install instructions do not indicate that it is required.

There's nothing in the install instructions because it's not required for the friends plugin to function. If you want the messaging features though, you'll need to install the messaging plugin.

3. There is no link for adding a user as a friend in the widget. And yes, I logged in as a different user who is not a friend and visited the blog with the widget enabled, yet no friending link was visible.

We'll look into that for a future version. We need to rebuild the widget using the new widget API anyway.

4. FYI: Install instructions do not mention how to enable friend approval, which I discovered in the plugin Config section.

Oops, looks like the note about the config section got removed (or was never added).

Thanks,
    Andrew

• jcnjr

We'll look into that for a future version. We need to rebuild the widget using the new widget API anyway.

Since you may be also updating Friends to comply with update notifications, sometime in the not too distant future anyway... here's a thought:

How 'bout adding an option for Admins to identify "default" Friend(s)?

We often get users adding the Friends widget before learning how to add friends. This leaves them with an empty widget. It would be cool if the widget could included a member identified by the Admin, by default, upon activation.

Perhaps this could be done with a configuration edit to the plugin code. One friend would be nice, but in our case I see how adding multiple default friends could help – our primary blog admin, and our tech support blogger.

Make sense? Doable, or pain in the arse?

EDIT: The tricky part may be not adding the default friend if the user has already been added as a friend on existing blogs. But then again, the friend check fix that started this topic may address that. Thanks for the consdieration!

• Andrew

Hiya,

Since you may be also updating Friends to comply with update notifications, sometime in the not too distant future anyway... here's a thought

People seem to be throwing that around a lot lately. We have *a lot* of plugins to update with the update notifications bit. So I'm afraid we won't be making any changes to plugins aside from the updates notifications addition unless the plugin is already on our "fix list" due to reported bugs, etc.

As for the default friends suggestion. It's definitely doable if a good number of members are interested :slight_smile:

Thanks,
    Andrew

• okso

Just arrived on WPMU, the 1st thing I do is instal Friends (Release Date: 2012-05-10 Downloads: 1,110 Compatible With: Multisite 3.4.2
    Changelog:slight_smile: and realize it doesn't play nice with Buddypress 1.6. I then search forum and find here 1yr old note about plugs redundancy in BP.

Should a basic notification to this show up in changelog/docs?

*So I don't do this again with more plugs, can you give any tips for me to look out for this kind of issue?