Front End Functionality (images, maps, etc.)

Hello,

Is a user able to upload an image via the front end interface? I have "My Events" and a few other addons installed, but uploading an image is not an option in the visual editor. Is it also possible to embed an external image or video?

Also, how can a user delete an event if it's cancelled?

Lastly, how can a google map be added to the template?

Thanks!

• tlcorbin

Hello, scruffy72, are you asking about a theme you are using, where you have admin rights or are you a contributor on a multiuser community site with assigned privileges.

If you are your own admin, you certainly can do so when you post or upload media.

If you are a guest on a multiuser community site, it depends upon what privileges have been granted to you.

Embeds in a nutshell is discussed here

Google map makes use of a plugin

I hope this helps a bit.

• scruffy72

Hi tlcorbin,

Since this section of my site is completely community driven with buddypress, 90% of the events will be created by the subscribers of the site. Because of this, I have to make it easy for them. Is there a way for front end users to upload pictures to an event (like a flyer for a show)? Currently there is no option for this in the visual editor.

You said, "If you are a guest on a multiuser community site, it depends upon what privileges have been granted to you."

I don't see anything in the event capabilities section or in wordpress allowing me to give subscribers the right to upload pictures, but I do have other buddypress plugins that allow the subscribers to upload media (pictures, vids). Please let me know if this is possible from the front-end. It's very important for my community driven site.

Thanks!

• tlcorbin

Hello, scruffy72,

Events is a plugin, plugins are designed to enhance theme functions, not necessarily to replace internal admin functions and it does look like you can assign some subscriber rights.

You will need to scroll down the page to locate Capabilities that can be set for Admin, Editor, Author, Contributor,Subscriber and more.

The events are posted much like a blog post and can be commented; but it doesn't appear they (your community members) can control events; however if that is the case, make the plugin available to individual subscribers, it may be a solution to consider. I would set up a page with a download link for the plugin and basic setup instructions.

It may be that using the other plugins that allow subscribers to upload media is part of the solution.

Would making the Events plugin available to select subscribers be a viable solution?

If it isn't, I will continue researching and provide additional information for you later.

• scruffy72

Thanks tlcorbin, but I've already assigned the capabilities and unfortunately I can't have subscribers downloading plugins within my site.

I'm only looking for a simple "add photo" interface for the front end like the plugin "events manager" has already. I just bought "events+" yesterday in the hope that I would be able to get it working better than "events manager" for my purposes. I'm still hopeful that "events+" is going to work out, but I'm hoping the staff can point me in the right direction on this one.

Thanks.

• tlcorbin

Hello again, scruffy72 ,

Consider these:

Handling Events like a Pro an article that may prove helpful.

WP Total Hacks can customize more than 20 settings on your WordPress Site.( PHP5 is required).

I sincerely hope that the staff can further your progress dealing with this issue. I downloaded the Event + plugin to see what it is all about, it is an issue with me now.

Thanks for the opportunity to help.

• scruffy72

Thanks tlcorbin,

Unfortunately, this is a specific plugin feature that I need and it can't be remedied by external plugins or administrative rights. It has to be included in the code for "events+" and I hoping to hear back from staff soon to see if it will be implemented in the very near future. Otherwise I may have to jump ship unfortunately. I see a lot of promise in this plugin and I'm really hoping to get in functioning for my purposes.

Thanks for the help and I hope you can get your "events+" configured too.

• aecnu

Greetings scruffy72 and tlcorbin,

Thank you both for your communications with each other and for trying to work it out between you.

****Please note:****
    One reason in this particular ticket here that we had a staff delay in a response is because of the way the ticket system works. The ticket system see's every reply as well a reply ... and then changes it's priority in the support que to include ticket aging.

Therefore it may not show up on our screens as early as it would under normal conditions. It is usually in your best interest to not bump tickets or reply to them unless there is something significant to add.
    ****Please note****

Regarding the images availability on the front end editor of Events+ it can certainly be done if the users role is Author or above. Then the option to add images to the events visual editor becomes apparent.

Thank you both for being WPMU DEV Community Members!

Cheers, Joe

• tlcorbin

Thanks Joe,

Ah, got it, scruffy72 had a delay because of the ongoing discourse, I will keep that in mind in the future. I am in the middle of setting up my test sites and just installed that particular plugin but had not fired it up as yet. Which I will still do to satisfy my curiosity about how it functions.

Bump tickets?? Oh, got it, it was unintentional. My common sense tripped over my enthusiasm.

Scruffy72, I am indeed sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused. The notifications kept coming in and I kept responding, and I just realized with Joe's reply that they were from two different discussions.

• aecnu

Greetings tlcorbin,

Thank you for your additional input and you are doing just great and I do not see any bumps from your sir.

I was actually directing the bumping at scruffy72 though with hindsight I am not sure why and possibly that it was not in reference to this particular ticket.

Please continue as you have because I cannot see anything that you have done or indicates you have bumped the ticket.

My sincere apology for my ms-communication to you.

Sincerely, Joe

• tlcorbin

Hello Joe, this was a confusing situation for me and I do not really understand why he, scruffy72, created two nearly identical appeals for help. I saw his post and was under the impression that he was a beginner and perhaps just needed reminders to recheck the basics.

When it finally became clear to me that he had an active 'pay for premium services' community site going and had installed a plugin to expand his premium services offerings for commercial use without first testing it, I was caught off guard and I was more than a bit surprised.

He wants his clients to use the Events front end to handle their own situations, but won't let them download the plugin or make it a part of their premium install package as a potential way of solving his problem. So I was delighted to see you and the other staff members offer a solution and I hope that it was a solution that works for scruffy72.

I will definitely continue reaching out to other members and I want to thank you for the apology; this miscommunication snafu was partially the result of a mild panic attack on the part of a businessman who needed answers quickly, but framed his quest awkwardly.

You are one supportive and smooth talking staffer, Joe, and a big part of the reason I am settling in for the long run.

tlcorbin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.