front-end support ticket system for non-MU

Hi, I want to suggest offering a plugin that would provide a ticket system for me to use with my clients, on a regular WP site. I see you have one for supporting WPMU sites inside the dashboard, but I didn't see one that would let my clients come to my site and post a support ticket (sort like I'm doing right now).

If there is one and I missed it, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll probably seek out something elsewhere, unless you'll be coming out with one sometime soon.

Thanks!

BTW, I was trying to mistakenly post this under "plugins" (before I saw Feature Suggestions), and there I tried to select "Other / Not Listed" in the "site" blank, and kept getting an error telling me to 'Please select the associated site or "Other"' (which I was doing.) Seems like a bug. Just FYI. Then I realized there is the feature suggestions option so I (*thought I) got around that. Then actually, I just got the same error now when trying to submit this using Feature Suggestions & Feedback. There's no place to even choose an associated site and I'm still getting the error. Then I switched back over to Plugins to see if I can submit it that way. And still got the error, even after choosing a site and plugin. Now I'm resubmitting this through a freshly-loaded support form. Presumably it'll get through now. :slight_smile:

• Mason

Hiya @freelancelance,

Nice idea. There's a couple ways you could do this including using bbPress or our CustomPress theme to create post_types for support and child post_types for responses.

I know WooThemes also has a theme that sets the complete ticketing system up for you, but we don't have anything like this that works "out of the box".

Another suggestion (for now) would be our Q&A plugin which does all for folks to mark when a Question is resolved and vote for the most helpful response.

As to the posting into plugins and selecting "other" issue, I'll alert the dev team to that and see if we can't get that sorted asap.

Thanks for posting. Anyone else interested in a front-end solution like this? Chime in with your comments and +1s below!

• aecnu

Greetings freelancelance,

Thank you for your feedback and input, it is greatly appreciated.

Personally even though I have MultiSite networks I use Hesk a free php help desk, in a sub folder of my WordPress installation to provide external/front end support ticket system.

The internal MultiSite Support System plugin from WPMU Dev I reserve for my premium members whom can access it within the dashboard.

I have researched other systems in the WordPress repository and to this day believe I have made the right decision for this function and to best serve my clients.

Cheers, Joe

• Mustafa

I know WooThemes also has a theme that sets the complete ticketing system up for you, but we don't have anything like this that works "out of the box".

Yep, we're using supportpress theme for our support desk. It's great.

My personal suggestion +1 for theme, because plugins that using custom post types generally create problems for themes. "Compatibility" (plugin/theme) is the really hard point.

• freelancelance

Sorry for the late response...I didn't get notified that there were responses posted here.

It sounds like the Support System plugin would basically do what I need--though I would still prefer to have it on the front-end, so it's branded like my site--so how about you guys make that available for non-MU sites? (Along with all other currently-MU-only plugins, as I've requested elsewhere I believe.)

masonjames,

The Q&A plugin would not serve the purpose--I wouldn't expect or ask my clients to post their project-specific requests publicly. That's a huge privacy hole. I asked about Q&A being adjusted to allow for private tickets, and the developer's reply indicated that he/you guys are totally inflexible about that possibility for Q&A. So, so much for that.

As far as asking people for a +1 on my suggestion goes...you already have a support system/ticket plugin (for MU only). So obviously WPMU-DEV already agrees that there is a need for such a thing. I don't see why any more +1-ing would be required. If it can't be front-end for some reason, fine I guess (though I don't see why that would be a problem). Let's just start with a (non-MU) ticket system period, and go from there.

P.S. - why was this ticket marked as resolved? This was the issue: "I want to suggest offering a plugin that would provide a ticket system for me to use with my clients, on a regular WP site." Unless I'm missing something, that's still open.

• Mason

Hiya @freelancelance,

The "open" status is for bugs or unresolved issues. We look at those differently from this, which is really a feature request.

As discussed above there's several different ways of approaching this.

We currently have a plugin for providing support for a multisite network and the ability to create a Q&A area. We don't have what you're looking for.

As I said, we'll consider it, but until we're able to get to it (and we'd want to see lots of interest from other members for this idea) you'll have to find an alternative solution.

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.