Front Page Broken

Can't believe I'm here twice in one day.
I can't figure out why the front page of the theme is broken.
I have NOT edited any theme files.

I HAVE run a database table repair, deactivated all plug ins except Buddypress, removed everything from the sidebars, cleared my cache, scanned for spyware, adware and viruses, downloaded and re-installed a fresh theme file...and still the front page layout is broken.,

All other pages are fine.

The last thing I did before it went haywire was to change one of the color settings in the theme options from the Dashboard...I hit refresh and it's been like this ever since.

I can't figure it out, maybe someone else can help.
http://fugget.com

• Tammie

@eborg9: Fairly sure it's to do with your install paths I see for instance you have:

<link rel="stylesheet" target="_blank" href="http://fugget.com/wp-content/themes/Cutline-1.4-3ColumnSplit/_inc/css/reset.css" type="text/css" media="all" />

You should make sure your themes are wp-content/themes/themename or wp-content/themes/themename-child. So in the case of daily you'd have:

wp-content/themes/bp-daily
    wp-content/themes/bp-daily-child

• eborg9

@Andrew, yes I tried that as well.
    @Tammie. Now i"m really confused because I have been installing my themes the same way for over 3 years, granted mainly with single user WP, but from what I understand by reading the instructions...it's still the same.
    All of them are in wp-content/themes/..including this one.

I always make sure that it's not wp-content/themes/themename/themename.

So yes, I'm staring at my files now and it is installed in wp-content/themes/bp-daily

Just to avoid any confusion, I deleted the "Cutline" theme.altogether.

It wouldn't be so bad if the whole thing was broken, I could deal with that, but for it only to be the front page...that is really driving me crazy.

What is different about the front page ?
    No Widgets. No plug ins. No file edits.

• Tammie

@eborg9: Hmmm the key where you 'could' (can't see it installed as have default so can't comment for sure) is you are unzipping and having something like wpmu-bp-daily-1 or something similar then putting that at themes/ That was my point that you have to have wp-content/themes/bp-daily/

If you could put the theme back on making sure that pathname is correct I can look as can't see the potential issue otherwise and that is the only one I know for sure has been a problem for previous users. You say you just set a setting and everything went 'wrong' can you please say what setting and what do you mean by wrong - I know having up a site with issues is bad but I can't 'see' and it would really help if I could see what is going on. The upside is this isn't being experienced by other users so once we do figure it out there will be a resolution for you just needs a bit working out so bare with me while I try to do that with you.

Now one thing can you check is that you have activated all parts as in if you pick slideshow you have selected a category... if you picked columns a category and so on. This would possibly eliminate the issue if you've only got a component you've set to show on the front page as half configured as in slideshow but not picked a category that exists and so on. That 'could' be an issue but I assume if you are doing settings you'd probably be fully configuring... just trying to think of all the possibilities for you.

• eborg9

OK, I did put the theme back on.

The files are located in wp-content/themes/themename. SO for instance the header file is located at wp-content/themes/bp-daily/header.php. I understand this part.

What I was doing at the time was changing the background color in the custom styling settings.

I will re-check the settings. I did notice that once I set a setting and return to add another that the original setting is sometimes back at default.

• eborg9

I think i may have tracked down the issue. Before I had it set without a spotlight category (because I didn't want one) it it displayed just fine, but it seems that it won't let me do that now. I have to pick a category.
    I tried to pick a category without any posts in it and that broke the layout.

Also, when I set a category without enough posts in it to fill out the layout settings, that seemed to break it as well. I re-categorized some of the dummy content that I have to make sure each category has at least the number of posts in it that is set and seems to want to go back to normal with the exception of the sidebar.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the issue has something to do with the category selections.
    For one, it's not holding your settings. If I set up all of my categories and hit save and view them, some are back to the default setting..especially this one:

Select a category for your first featured tab
    It always displays the default setting in the options settings no matter what you select and how many times you save it...it reverts back to " select a category".

It was doing just fine for about 30 minutes (When I first installed it) with only the most basic settings, but the minute I started rearranging content, setting colors and such, it went haywire on me.

• Tammie

@eborg9: I honestly haven't a clue what is going on with your install as just tried to replicate this issue and simply can't. Can you do me a favour and create a category call it content one, add a post and link to the content tabs. Then do the same for 2 more calling them content two and content three and add posts for each. Then save that all and see what happens please.

Now the bit I need clarification on is:

It was doing just fine for about 30 minutes (When I first installed it) with only the most basic settings, but the minute I started rearranging content, setting colors and such, it went haywire on me.

What exactly did you do and if you could note that I can try and recreate. Did you change just in settings? What in settings or what in files?

• eborg9

Well, I just got a new theme configured, but here is what I did :

Originally when I first installed it, only had 3-4 categories.
    After installation and setting up the Tabbed option, I checked it out with Spotlight posts and without and decided to go without and use all widgets instead..so I removed the category for the Spotlight posts. Still all good.

I went back and created a few more categories, and moved some posts into some of the new categories.

I then reset the Tabbed section with some of the new categories.
    I didn't refresh right away to look at it ( I just remembered that) and went on to change the background color.

That is when the issue started.

As I said, the other home page options work fine and so does everything else in the theme. For some reason after that, it broke and seemed like it was

• eborg9

Well, I just got a new theme configured, but here is what I did :

Originally when I first installed it, only had 3-4 categories.
    After installation and setting up the Tabbed option, I checked it out with Spotlight posts and without and decided to go without and use all widgets instead..so I removed the category for the Spotlight posts. Still all good.

I went back and created a few more categories, and moved some posts into some of the new categories.

I then reset the Tabbed section with some of the new categories.
    (yes I remembered to save)

I didn't refresh right away to look at it ( I just remembered that) and went on to change the background color. Refreshed

That is when the issue started.

As I said, the other home page options work fine and so does everything else in the theme.

I honestly think that if I had all of my categories and posts in them set up how I wanted them from the beginning and added new ones after that fact, it would still have functioned properly. Don't ask me why, I'm not a programmer, but it just seems that the combination of moving posts to new categories and then changing the category settings is the only variable that I can narrow in on that may have given conflicting messages.

But I have to also look at some other variables that may have mucked up the equation:

I should also note that I switched to a new server like 36 hours ago and I did notice a database issue or two for a few hours...logging me in to one of my blogs on the network, when I attempted to log into the main blog.
    That may have something to do with it as well.

Last thing, I also know that if I don't check my URL when I'm in the dashboard and I happen to be at www. mysite, instead of http: //mysite, that any changes I make don't take.
    I can't say whether I was logged in properly when this all went down so I have to take some responsibility there as well.

It just doesn't seem logical that all else functions throughout the theme without a hitch except for the issues that I was having, so I have to take all of those other variables into consideration as well .

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.