Frustrated: I just need a "membership" plug that charges to join, not access content.

I have a multisite setup. A user joins, creating a user account and subdomain (them.MYSITE.com). Content created by them is freely accessible to others.

A year ago, I tried Pro Sites. I wasn't happy with the way an account was first created and THEN the site., so I move on to Paid Memberships Pro. Nice enough, but seems overkill, since I don't need to restrict content access...ONLY for joining the site (and creating their subsite).

Now, I have issues with PMPro and it's permissions, so I'm looking elsewhere again.

Is there a recommendation for a plugin that ONLY charges (recurring through Stripe) for being a user? Not for content access or for drip content. Just to become a user? Will Membership work for this?

Thanks.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey @Bryan,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

Have you checked our Protected Content plugin?
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/protected-content/

You can create one paid membership and don't protect any content within the plugin so that they still have full access to everything. It also comes with Stripe payment gateway :slight_smile:

Let me know if this works for you.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Bryan

I will check that out. Thanks Predag.

Ok, this is actually part of my frustration.
    Membership
    Pro Sites
    Protect Content.

...three similar but different products. Nothing, though, pointing out (in a matrix or case study or whatever), when one should be considered over another. I thought Membership vs PS was confusing. Now this adds more. Know what I mean? I do appreciate the recommedation adn plugins, but man...confusing.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Bryan,

I've been there so let me try explain the difference here :slight_smile:

Protected Content and Membership will basically do the same thing but the PC has much nices UI and UX so it should be much easier to handle.
    What those plugin do is create memberships on your sub site and are used to protect certain content per sub site, they are not intended to be used to protect sites across your network.

Pro Sites on other hand is plugin which can only be network activated and is used to sell and manage your sub sites from network admin section.

So, if you are looking for a plugin that will manage your sub site users you can go with Protected Content, but if you need to manage your sub sites you would need Pro Sites.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Bryan

Thanks Predrag - thanks for the clarification. Not sure I fully understand the users vs sites protection. Since the site "content" is freely viewed by anyone, I only want to charge for someone to be a member (which makes them a member and generates a subsite).

Since I mainly want to sell the "sites", it seems you are saying PS is a better fit. My reluctance to try it again is that a user must signup as a registered user before the site is "sold" to them. I wanted a seamless signup process which PS doesn't give compared to other plugins. It has wonderful features, but the reg before site is just odd to me.

Thanks

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey @Bryan,

For the setup you are looking for you will need to go with Pro Sites, Protected Content and Membership don't allow you to sell sites.
    PC and Membership are used if you have some pages on your site to allow access for only registered members.

I'm not sure what are you referring to regarding the registration process, are confused because site activation before making the payment?

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.