Frustrated with Blogs.MU

I am a beginner! I am having the worst time on how to put everything I want on the site. I did some research but I'm confused, I found that I should use a child theme for this (which I don't understand). Then I found that i just needed to use as is. What I want to do is have a slider on my site with text (kinda how it is shown), use my own logo with text next to it. I don't want to change the site too much cuz I like it as is but I need a slider where the pic is and I'd like the text next to it as well as the logo at top with text next to that. So, please Help!

Thank you

• Patrick

Hiya @km2830

Welcome to the forums!

We hear you! It can get very confusing sometimes when you're just starting out with WordPress. So, let's see if we can walk you through this with simple steps.

First, you only need to create a child-theme if you intend on customizing things beyond what the built-in options enable you to do. In other words, if you are not going to be creating custom CSS style rules, or editing/creating theme templates, you do not need a child-theme. So, forget about that for now.

Let's get your slider working
    Go to "Appearance" > "Theme Options" > "Features Settings" and select "Featured Slider Categories" from the dropdown menu.

Click "Save All Options" (this will bring you back to the main theme options page). Then click "Features Settings" again and you will see a new field where you will enter the ID of the post category you want the slider to pull info from.

To get the post category ID, go to "Posts" > "Categories" in your dashboard, and hover your mouse pointer over the category you want. At the bottom-left of your screen, you will see something like this: ...wp-admin/edit-tags.php?action=edit&taxonomy=category&tag_ID=22&post_type=post The number you see where it says tag_ID is the number you want. Note that you can include multiple categories in your homepage slider; simply take note of all the category IDs you need here.

Now go back to "Appearance" > "Theme Options" > "Features Settings" and enter the category IDs in the field just below the dropdown you used earlier. (If you enter multiple category IDs, separate them with commas: 1,3,44) Finally, select the number of posts you want to rotate, and click "Save All Options". Refresh your homepage and you should see your brand-spanking-new slider in all its glory :slight_smile:

Your site logo & text is next
    Go to "Appearance" > "Theme Options" > "Header Settings" and set Do you want to enable custom image header? to enable. Then go to "Appearance" > "Header" and upload the header image you want to use. Recommended size is 960x150px. That header image can contain your logo and any text you want. Click "Save Changes" and refresh any page on your site. Snap: nice new header with your logo in it!

-----------

Take some time to explore each page of the theme settings, and experiment with them, change stuff around.

If you get stuck on anything else, just come right back here, and we'll do what can to help you through things.

Hope this helps! And thanks for being a member :slight_smile:

• tlcorbin

Hello, vmavids aka John, and Patrick Cohen, sorry to butt in, but what about using Google adsense banners with this theme, explain the section settings, service settings, service options and more about the features setting.

To use some of the advanced features, buddy press will need to be utilized, can you weave that into this tapestry?

The folks that built the thing aren't even active anymore, Blogs Mu is a flag ship without a working manual for beginners or provisions for monetizing-not very impressive along that line.

tlcorbin

• tlcorbin

Hello John, does swearing help at all?

If you set your site up as a multi-user site, you have network settings and blog blog settings, could they be conflicting by not being set identically?

Where did you pick your copy of Nivo from here? If so, the plugin is way outdated.

Well as a plugin, it may not use the Blogs MU settings, the settings you need should be local to that plugin. Did you visit this page for help? It seems to confirm that it has settings that need to be adjusted to meet the space requirements.

A source about installing Nivo without a plugin and this Advanced Nivo Slider Tutorial

I am not convinced that the problem is on the wordpress side of the equation. I would buy the plugin but they do not allow the $19 version to be used with premium themes, but they don't define what a premium theme is and the plugin developer isn't worth $99 to me.

tlcorbin

• Patrick

Hi @vmavids

I've been doing some fiddling with Blogs-MU and have found a solution to the image sizing issue.

The theme uses the basic nivo javascript so, rather than cropping and/or re-sizing your images, the slider simply grabs the largest variation of your images that actually fits in the space available. WordPress auto-generates those variations and they're all in your wp-content/uploads folder.

So, the simple solution is to ensure that the images you intend to use for the slider (featured images in the posts or category you select) are proportionate to the dimensions it uses. That would be 1:1.5 (height:width). The overall size doesn't really matter; as long as the proportions respect that ratio, you're good to go.

Hope this helps! And thanks for being a member :slight_smile: