WPMU site search

I've recently purchased an Elite membership as I am implementing you membership plugin on a community website. Since that plugin is not as simple as advertised, I am looking for answers and the more I look around, the more I get frustrated, specifically for the placement of your site search. In (too) many pages it is not there. In other pages it's in the side bar somewhere, or on top above the menu, or on top of the content in the page.

Please be consistent and put that site search always in the same place and make it visible. Whatever type of search is available in a page it should be always in the same place. So far I have not found answers beyond the very basic into tutorials. Not impressed.

• gemahsolutions

Hi Pixeldrummer

Thank you for your constructive feedback. We are constantly striving to improve our WPMU DEV website to make it more accessible to our users. Feedback like yours help us to do just that. So we appreciate it very much!

Please do be in touch if you have any questions regarding the Membership Plugin that were not covered in the 'Installation and Use Instructions'. We are here to support you and if you need more technical advice we can channel it to the Plugin Developer for further clarification.

Wishing you a pleasant day and let me know if there is anything else I can assist with.

Gina :: Multiplicity

• Pixeldrummer

Thanks for the invitation to comment. I have been struggling with the membership plugin, but am slowly getting there. There are large gaps in the documentation, the most obvious to me is using short code. I learned more on the gravity forms website about that than in your tutorials and write ups, because you refer to short codes but do not actually provide a list of membership-specific ones that would be useful to use.

Before I purchased your plugin I bought eMember. I could not use it is because it could not block an entire category. Yours can. The guts of your plugin is probably amazing, I've not yet explored all of it. But the front-end, meaning what a member sees after they become a member, could be vastly improved. If features in my wishlist are already included, please point me to the documentation.

Basically, when I purchased Membership I didn't expect to be told that I'd need other plugins for some features that I thought would logically be included.

My wish list is:
    1- A re-direct. Ability to assign to each membership level their own home/welcome page.
    2- A nice login 'form'. A login widget that can be placed anywhere perhaps with a short code.
    3- A member profile page where members can change or optionally add some of their information, but that is NOT the WP Profile and does NOT show the WP dashboard.

I am developing a community & history website where property owners can access protected content, such as community news, property related matters, neighbourhood alerts, etc. Membership is free. Another membership (also free) is for people who want to contribute pictures and historical stories of the community. They'll access a secure form with an upload feature. There will be Editors and Authors who will generate some of the content, but those can be handled by WP. In short, the type of user that will be members of this site need to be guided to the content and it has to be very simple for them to find it.

I hope you don't mind my rather lengthy response. And I hope it makes sense and helps.

• airfoil

I'll +1 @Pixeldrummer for more comprehensive documentation.

Add two to the list of desired features:

Some documentation/tutorial for best practices for testing in Sandbox mode. I had a tremendous amount of trouble testing an installation, and finally had to enable the live PayPal site to test a transaction all the way through to activation of the account. Clear, unambiguous instructions here would be incredibly helpful.

Inclusion of a captcha option (preferably reCaptcha) on Step 1 of the Membership process. Because completion of this form results in the creation of a new WP account (even though it may not be active) it is an open invitation for bots to quickly fill your user list with bogus entries. Really, really a major need - and it shouldn't be necessary to have custom development for such a basic feature.

• Mason

Hiya Pixeldrummer,

As far as the interface is concerned we're implementing an 'easy setup' wizard to get folks started quickly and also a much cleaner interface to hopefully make things easier to apply advanced settings.

Some documentation/tutorial for best practices for testing in Sandbox mode. I had a tremendous amount of trouble testing an installation, and finally had to enable the live PayPal site to test a transaction all the way through to activation of the account. Clear, unambiguous instructions here would be incredibly helpful.

We hear ya. This is definitely an area we need to improve on. Also, let it be said that PayPal's own internal procedures and documentations sucks horribly. It's a pain to work with for all of us.

Inclusion of a captcha option (preferably reCaptcha) on Step 1 of the Membership process. Because completion of this form results in the creation of a new WP account (even though it may not be active) it is an open invitation for bots to quickly fill your user list with bogus entries. Really, really a major need - and it shouldn't be necessary to have custom development for such a basic feature.

We're incredibly focused on getting the core of this plugin right this go 'round. After that we'll focus on the rest of it like captcha and coupon codes. The new way registration works is to require them to select a subscription before signing up... hopefully this will cut down on spam a bit.

Thanks again for your feedback here folks. Look for real news/evidence of this in about a week - tops!

• Pixeldrummer

Thanks masonjames,
    You responded to airfoil's post which mentioned some good additional points to what I wrote.
    Will we be able to have a membership profile page that is NOT a WP profile page?
    And with your new way of users selecting the type on subscription first (great idea, even if the subscriptions are free), can they be directed to a subscription-relevant page after logging in?
    In any case thanks for listening.

• Mason

Hiya,

Will we be able to have a membership profile page that is NOT a WP profile page?

I'm not sure what you mean by this, can you explain a bit further?

And with your new way of users selecting the type on subscription first (great idea, even if the subscriptions are free), can they be directed to a subscription-relevant page after logging in?

On this one, we are allowing a 'completion' page that you can customize like any page within WordPress. If you want it to provide unique content to each subscription you can simply use the subscriptions shortcodes. Having multiple ones on the same page will provide so that only the one the user is then added to will be displayed.

Thanks!

• Pixeldrummer

It's all in the language, isn't it.

What I mean by this:
    is:
    After logging in the user should see a page like the WPMU member profile page, which doesn't show a task bar or dashboard link and is built into a page, in other words, the page is isolated from any WP backend access. Perhaps that's already built in and I didn't know it? I have several subscriptions to various things, and I've never seen my profile in the WP default user profile page.

Apropos short codes: Do you have a list of short codes that work with the membership plugin specifically? Other sites, like gravity forms and other plugin sites provide a list of valid short codes that can be used with their plugins. I've asked this on several occasions, but have not received an answer.

Again, thanks.

• Mason

Hiya PIxeldrummer,

Apologies that this was overlooked for quite awhile. If you haven't noticed yet, the new membership plugin has been released and we're getting some real positive feedback on the new setup.

We specifically address the setup issues and shortcode issues so I think you'll find it valuable.

I'm still not totally clear on what you mean by the WordPress Profile Page, but I believe this is something that you could accomplish by also installing BuddyPress. You wouldn't need to activate any of the other components, but you COULD have a front-end profile with form fields that you get to dictate from within the BuddyPress admin settings.

Would that do the trick for ya?

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.