Fundraising plugin is giving Paypal API error

There was a problem connecting with the paypal gateway. (CODE)520003 Authentication failed. API credentials are incorrect. ) I have searched the internet for the solution and it appears that it is a common problem, I have tried all the proposed solutions but none works, I have even reset the paypal credentials. How do I fix this problem?

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi again @afrounited

As the error indicates, there is something amiss with the API credentials.

Did you ensure that you entered live credentials when you enabled live mode? They are not the same credentials as when you are in sandbox mode:
    https://developer.paypal.com/webapps/developer/docs/classic/lifecycle/goingLive/

Also, please double-check that there are no blank spaces before or after Username, Password, Signature or App ID.

• afrounited
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

The credentials are the same as on my paypal profile. I tried in sandbox mode with the same details and that didn't work either. My paypal account has been verified and the tech support over there said it should work now. When trying it again, deleting my old credentials, requesting new password and signature, refreshing the WP screen, I get the same message.

There was a problem connecting with the paypal gateway. (CODE)560029 The required X-PAYPAL-APPLICATION-ID header is missing from the HTTP request

I'm still being asked for an Application Id when I'm in live mode. Both Simple Donations and Advanced Crowdfunding are checked (turned on). I don't know what else to try. If this can't be resolved, I'm afraid I will have to abandon your plugin and move over to a third party services.

Please advise.

Thank you

• afrounited

I called paypal again after further support from your live chat rep.

I was able to get an application ID but now I'm getting a new error.

There was a problem connecting with the paypal gateway. (CODE)550001 User is not allowed to perform this action

The paypal rep confirmed that the plugin is not using Simple payment and it's actually using an Advance setting.

what is the payment flow they are using? Which is type of payment is the Fundraising Plugin using?

Simple payment
    Paralle payment
    Chain payments
    Implicit send money

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @afrounited,

We received your email on this, which I'll respond to shortly.

The gateway the plugin uses notes the following:

// An array of allowed payment types (simple, advanced)
    		var $payment_types = 'simple, advanced';

Thus that should work with either Simple or Advanced.

However, since you're using advanced crowdfunding, could I ask for you to have a read through the following thread?
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/paypal-gateway-problem-user-not-allowed

It also links to another thread that helps with the PayPal setup, but has some helpful troubleshooting tips itself.

Could you let us know how that goes?

Thanks,
    David

• afrounited

I went through this post already and I get noting new from what I've already tried.

I don't want pledges. I simply want the community to see the goal raised.
    A visitor comes, makes a payment and the bar reflects the new amount.

I tried simple, advance and both options turned on and nothing works. Currently, it's on simple donations under Current Settings/Allowed Fundraiser Types. Directly in the Backend of the Fundraiser Default Page, I have No Crowfunding Goal set. Still with those basic settings I get the error:

There was a problem connecting with the paypal gateway. (CODE)550001 User is not allowed to perform this action

My paypal account is set up under Simple payments so really, I have to idea what to do next.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @afrounited,

Thanks for all that information. Sounds like that should just work so I'm not sure what could be the issue here unless that account's not setup properly on PayPal's end somehow.

I've asked one of the developers to have a look here as I'm unfortunately stumped.

Thanks,
    David

• afrounited

What is the payment flow the Fundraising Plugin is using?

Simple payment
    Parallel payment
    Chain payments
    Implicit send money

Does the FP payment flow change if I select Advance Crowdfunding?

Simple payment should work automatically. All the other options can take 5-15 days to set up from the Paypal side as per their rep.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

H @afrounited,

The plugin should use Simple payment if you're using the Simple setting, which I assumed was the case.

Yes, changing that Advanced Crowdfunding option would affect this. But I think maybe linking to that older thread previously may have just added confusion.

I see now that PayPal has had some changes then. Could I ask if you've gone through the following thread?
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-do-i-properly-register-for-paypal-app-to-go-live-with-fundraising-plug-in

I suspect that may really help here given all the account details.

Could you let me know?

Thanks,
    David

• afrounited

I went through that thread this morning. It's informative but offers nothing new since I've been troubleshooting this plugin for 2 weeks.

I am using this plugin to make a simple transaction which was set up on Simple Donation settings in the plugin but when I do it gives me the original error message in this thread.

(CODE)560029 The required X-PAYPAL-APPLICATION-ID header is missing from the HTTP request

This is with only Simple Donations turned on. No Advanced Crowdfunding. The only place I see Application ID is with Crowdfunding turned on which also requires API credentials.

The goal is for a visitor to come to the site, makes a donation, receive a payment confirmation, with the progress bar updated with a new total.

The problems starts with the X-PAYPAL-APPLICATION-ID.

My Paypal account is set under a standard business account and the settings on the plugin is set up as Simple donations. I don't know why I need an API or App ID if it's a simple transactions. When I do turn on Advanced Crowdfunding, enter the API and ID (from Paypal Developer page) I get error message There was a problem connecting with the paypal gateway. (CODE)550001 User is not allowed to perform this action

I deactivated all the other plugins to test and see if there's a glitch between a plugin, and I get the same error message (CODE)560029 when I set it up under Simple Donations.

I am totally lost as to why the plugin is having a problem connecting with paypal gateway. I'm running in circles between the error messages, your threads and paypal tech support. This is so urgent. I just need this work.

• Maniu
    • Developer

Hey @afrounited

You have created Advanced Crowdfunding type fundraiser and then disabled advanced payment method that was incorrectly configured.

As it seems that you need simple donations, all you need to do is recreate fundraising as simple fundraising. It will work after but remember to set up IPN for paypal.

You should be all good after:slight_smile:

Thanks,
    Maniu

PS. this is very uncommon scenario but i guess it could use some improving to inform user better about it.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.