Fundraising Plugin not working

I am attempting to get this plugin up and running at http://cydsaunders.be/fundraising. There are a couple of issues I'm running into:
1. the documentation associated with the plugin is out of date, so not particularly helpful; there are constant references to 'x.commerce' which no longer exists
2. i found this article which should, in theory, help me to walk through getting the plugin setup, but none of the screenshots are working
3. I have simple payments setup, but I am still getting an application error that reads "There was a problem connecting with the paypal gateway. (CODE)520003 Authentication failed. API credentials are incorrect."when I attempt to make a payment. To my knowledge, this should simply work
4. I was attempting to use the advanced payments feature, but realised that, with no fundraising goal associated with this campaign, there was (presumably) no requirement for it (however there is nothing in the documentation or the tutorials i've found that tells me specifically is this presumption is accurate); regardless, the API information I entered were valid and correct; I have since stripped this information from the plugin in order to ensure there were no conflicts

I have trawled through WPMU and have found a number of people who have expressed serious challenges with getting this plugin to work (all stopping about two years ago). The plugin shows almost 32,000 downloads, so I'm presuming that somebody out there has this thing up and running?

If not, and there are issues with this plugin, it would be appreciated if it would be removed from the repository. As it stands I am, unfortunately, tired and frustrated and not entirely certain how to resolve this problem.

Is it solvable? Or should I give up and move on?

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @Cameron Burgess,

Thanks for posting on the forum.

1. the documentation associated with the plugin is out of date, so not particularly helpful; there are constant references to 'x.commerce' which no longer exists

Could you please tell me which documentation you are referring as i don't find any reference of 'x.commerce' in the following manual/documentation ?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/fundraising/#usage
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Fundraiser-Usage-Doc.pdf

2. i found this article which should, in theory, help me to walk through getting the plugin setup, but none of the screenshots are working

The reply posted on the following thread will help you to achieve it.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-do-i-properly-register-for-paypal-app-to-go-live-with-fundraising-plug-in#post-531941

3. I have simple payments setup, but I am still getting an application error that reads "There was a problem connecting with the paypal gateway. (CODE)520003 Authentication failed. API credentials are incorrect."when I attempt to make a payment. To my knowledge, this should simply work

The error describes that your API credentials are incorrect so double check it sometime we so mistake by using paypal live site credentials in sandbox mode and vice versa.

Also due to the fact that most of the time the PayPal sandbox gives erratic behavior at best, I would suggest jumping into live mode and see if that does not resolve your issue.

4. I was attempting to use the advanced payments feature, but realised that, with no fundraising goal associated with this campaign, there was (presumably) no requirement for it (however there is nothing in the documentation or the tutorials i've found that tells me specifically is this presumption is accurate); regardless, the API information I entered were valid and correct; I have since stripped this information from the plugin in order to ensure there were no conflicts

Advanced Payment Options is available for Advanced Crowd-funding. The Advanced Crowd-funding allows you to ask folks for pledges to meet a goal. With this Fundraiser, the money is not taken until the final goal for donations is met. It also
    allows you to add in some pretty cool goals and rewards for pledging.

You will find information about it in the following Fundraising plugin documentation.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Fundraiser-Usage-Doc.pdf

The plugin shows almost 32,000 downloads, so I'm presuming that somebody out there has this thing up and running?

Yes it's working for us and many other users.

Is it solvable? Or should I give up and move on?

Certainly it is, just ask me questions if you have any.

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Cameron

Thanks for the quick response:
    1. references to x.com and x.commerce begin in the advanced payments section; the links supplied are dead; i called and spoke to paypal and they confirmed that this is now a core part of the developers suite which is why those URLS don't work; they also downloaded the documentation and walked through it with me and said 'you need to talk to the developer; this information is out of date'; further, the screenshots don't always match the PayPal UI
    2. thanks for that link; helpful - will review shortly
    3. i have quadruple checked the API credentials and they are correct; everything is live and not in sandbox
    4. Advanced Payments permits you to not include a goal; if no goal is included it's reasonable to presume that there is no withholding required; this issue is not specifically addressed in the documentation; ie I want to be able to set rewards (you can see that these are setup) but with no fundraising goal (since the plugin doesn't require it) there should be no need for with holding and, subsequently, no requirement for registering a new app with Paypal

I had the expectation that this would be a simple setup and easy to get moving. All of my experiences with WPMU plugins to date have been seamless.

Please advise

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Cameron Burgess,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your patience on this.

1: I've checked and can confirm there are old links that point to x.com in Fundraising > settings, the developer has been notified.

3: Has the App been approved by PayPal or is it pending approval? Can you check for any white space at the end (if copied and pasted) or at the beginning of the API credentials.

4: This is an interesting point you've raised here, currently in the plugin we require advanced payments is used for the collection of with held payments, though I do agree that we should be able to offer rewards using the simple payments type without requiring a PayPal App and Advance payments, I've also asked the developer @Maniu what he thinks on this.

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Cameron

Hi Jack,
    I gave up on using this plugin. It seemed to be straightforward, and then not, so I removed it and moved on.
    My notes about my expectations of how this plugin should operate still stand. As indicated this is the first snag I've hit with using a WPMU plugin. Hopefully the developer will take the feedback on board and get it to work in what seems a logical way.
    Thanks for taking the time to respond regardless.