Future Proofing Directory Customisations

Hi

I found in other forum topics that you need to modify the code in the template files of directory in order to change the look.

directory/ui-front/buddypress/members/single/directory/

custom-fields.php

listings.php

my-credits.php

my-listings.php

update-listing.php

I imagine during an update these files will be overwritten. Could an override directory be provided where if a file exists in that dir (for example update-listing.php) then it will be displayed? Kind of like the behaviour of bp-custom.php

Cheers,

Johnny

• johnnymestizo
    • HummingBird
    /**
    * The template for displaying BuddyPress Classifieds component include - custom fields.
    * You can override this file in your active theme ( not very advisable if you don't know what you are doing ).
    * @package Classifieds
    * @subpackage UI Front BuddyPress
    * @since Classifieds 2.0
    */

In the top of the directory files there is comments for buddypress classifieds. There is also mention in the code for the classifieds custom post type. BUT i am definitely in the directory folder and do not have classifieds installed. also in custom press i do not have the classifieds post type.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Johnny,

Thank you for your input which is greatly appreciated.

I went through all the updates and it did not modify my theme files one iota but I am indeed using the included theme.

You are referring to the custom coding of files and with all custom coding the consequences of updating are on the end user and custom coding is not supported by us in any way, shape, or form. Reference:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/gravity-forms-and-marketpress#post-243682

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/export-order-details#post-194890

However, with that said I do agree with your idea of someway to protect these files would be extremely beneficial to those customizing those very files though if following prudent computing they have a backup before running any updates which makes this a moot point.

But I am still on board with you for a possible solution other then backups to prevent these files from being over written.

Therefore I will move this ticket to the applicable feature requests section for developer consideration.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.