Gallery Images in Reader Feed

Hi There,

Is there any way to display the image galleries in posts that are displayed on the dashboard by the reader plugin? Currently the plugin will display images from the posts, but not galleries.

In a related question, when "read more" is clicked and the post is presented in a popup, none of the images are displayed except those from the site in which the plugin is installed. Images in posts originating from other sites in the network do not seem to display in this popup, but rather their filename displays as text.

Thanks - Mark

• Nithin

Hi Mark,

Hope you are doing good today.

Is there any way to display the image galleries in posts that are displayed on the dashboard by the reader plugin? Currently the plugin will display images from the posts, but not galleries

I'm afraid there isn't any out of the box settings available in the plugin, I'll have to ping the developer regrading this, and check whether there is any quick workaround when it comes to displaying the default image gallery.

In a related question, when "read more" is clicked and the post is presented in a popup, none of the images are displayed except those from the site in which the plugin is installed. Images in posts originating from other sites in the network do not seem to display in this popup, but rather their filename displays as text.

Thanks for pointing that out, I'm am able to notice this in my system, will have to ping the developer whether this is how the plugin behaves by design. Please do note that developers work round the clock with many critical issues, and hence have a slow response time. Either myself or the developer will keep you updated.

Please let us know if you still need any further assistance. Have a nice day.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin

Hi Mark,

I'm terribly sorry for the delay, I have got some insights regarding these:

Is there any way to display the image galleries in posts that are displayed on the dashboard by the reader plugin? Currently the plugin will display images from the posts, but not galleries

I'm afraid there isn't any quick workaround regarding this, trying to implement a quick workaround would affect the performance, and the way the plugin works. If you are considering custom development, you could check our Jobs & Pros section in order to get this done.

I was able to notice this only in one of my posts, on checking this issue further it was a shortcode in my post which was causing the image to not show. I tested this in my system, and I could see images added in the post content visible in every other subsite. Please do note only images added in the post content is only visible, the featured images are not picked by design.

If you still think there is an issue, please run a quick plugin/theme conflict test as illustrated in getting support manual (flowchart), and rule out whether any plugin is causing this issue.
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

If you aren't able to determine any conflict, would recommend you to please enable support access so that we could give a closer look.

Please let us know once you enable support access, so that we could get this sorted. Have a nice day.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin

Hi Mark,

I checked your website, and it seems like there is a plugin conflict. Going through your website further, the issue is more related to the Media Vault plugin. The plugin is protecting the images from being displayed, and hence giving a 404 error for these images.

Please try changing the permission of your image as seen in the screenshot, and then remove the existing images from the post content, and try re-adding these images.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you still need any further assistance. Have a nice day.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Mark

Hi Nithin,

It is true that this plugin is "protecting" files. It does this by saving uploaded files to a specific directory in the wp-content folder. When an attachment located in that directory is requested by a browser, it redirects to ...index.php?mgjp_mv_file={file name requested}, which checks if the user is logged in. If so, it inserts mgjp_mv_download=safeforce into the URL and then redirects the browser to the required file. If not a "protected" image is displayed.

Below is the .htaccess

# Media Vault Rewrite Rules
    RewriteRule ^(?:[_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-content/uploads(?:/sites/[0-9]+)?(/_mediavault/.*\.\w+)$ index.php?mgjp_mv_file=$1 [QSA,L]
    RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^(?:.*&)?mgjp_mv_download=safeforce(?:&.*)?$
    RewriteRule ^(?:[_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-content/uploads(?:/sites/[0-9]+)?(/.*\.\w+)$ index.php?mgjp_mv_file=$1 [QSA,L]
    # Media Vault Rewrite Rules End

Can you point me to how the reader requests image files and where this process is going wrong?

Thanks and sorry for the delayed response/
    Mark

• Nithin

Hi Mark,

I tried to replicate this issue in my system, but the MediaVault plugin doesn't seem to work in my system, so I wasn't able to test this fully.

In the Reader plugin, when you click the Read More button, the plugin will display media files added through the visual editor, with the help of the default WordPress function, the_content(), and if I recall the Media Vault plugin seems to block this request.

Not sure whether the MediaVault plugin is still being maintained, since the Reader plugin just makes use of the default WordPress functions in order to display these images, could you please check this out with the plugin developer in order to get this sorted faster.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin