Garbage on sign up page and strange info pre-populated in fields

Strange thing, on the registration page for tiferetjournal.com/join/ there is some strange garbage that I cannot determine where it came from. See the: <![if !IE]><![endif]><![if !IE]><![endif]><![if !IE]>Write down whats your favorite hobby is (required)
<![endif]><![if !IE]><![endif]>

Also, the name and zip are being pre-populated with someone's info and I cannot determine how that is occurring.

any ideas?

thanks,
todd

• aecnu

Greetings toddkh,

Thank you for this great question and a significant item to bring up.

In an effort to figure out what is going on here and before any chance to get a developer to look into any issues we cannot resolve, you indeed have some serious updating to do.

You are indeed a few versions behind on WordPress, one major bug fix version on Buddy Press, and several on the Membership plugin.

Please advise to the status of this issue once the applicable and appropriate updates have been performed.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings toddkh,

It is not that I will not support you unless you upgrade - I was not even a member of the staff when the version you are referring to was released.

The version you are working with was released at the beginning of December 2011, I did not become part of the staff until mid February 2012.

I am certain that many issues has been resolved since way back then and you have admitted to having customized the plugin too.

How am I going to support this?

Therefore I am going to go ahead and revert this ticket to a higher authority to see how we are supposed to support an outdated, customized version of the Membership plugin and outdated WordPress and Buddy Press.

Interesting indeed.

I will get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings toddkh,

After lengthy discussion with other tech's including my direct inline Boss, we have come up with the truth being Membership 3.0 specifically addresses compatibility with WordPress 3.3+ so you really do need to upgrade.

In addition, there are many bug fixes in the WordPress and Buddy Press updates as well.

The updates are important because we need to eliminate as many variables as possible to provide the best support to include those fixes contained within each component.

Concerning the custom coding you have incorporated, it is not that I will not support you, it is certain that I cannot support you not having the complete coding and the ability to reproduce the scenario and issue.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• toddkh

Joe,

I'm sorry if you took my response before as flippant or rude, your response certainly makes me feel that way.

Of course I understand that the WPMU staff will have no way of knowing exactly what my setup looks like considering modifications, versions etc... I don't expect anyone on your end to be clairvoyant and magically provide a solution either, something your tone suggests I am requesting.

I am simply hoping to review the issue with someone, get some ideas of where to look, so I can try and solve it myself.

thanks,

todd

• aecnu

Greetings Todd,

Thank you for your kind and informative response, it is greatly appreciated.

The only option I have right now to possibly remedy this issue for us (you and I) is to see if I can get the lead developer in here to possibly offer his advice/advise us as to what the issue could possibly be.

Therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Mason

Hiya Todd,

Just as an additional note, the membership plugin simply calls the BuddyPress default registration form, so my hunch is there's something odd in BuddyPress itself or another plugin that hooks into the BuddyPress registration form.

The conditional statements for IE do not exist in Membership and did not exist in the 2.1.4 version so it must be something else. You could deactivate all plugins one at a time to see if that helps find the culprit or try temporarily changing the theme.

Let us know what you find. Thanks!

• toddkh

Hey Barry,

Link is here. Yes, it's on my todo, but I wanted to get a staging environment up first so I can reengineer the "sign up" "upgrade" process first.

Mason,

Thats the kind of advice I was looking for. Thank you! I went ahead and updated buddypress, but still see the garbage. I will follow your advice though and test plugins.

For the thread in general. Let's hold off on any more updates until I can setup my test environment and work through the upgrades, I realize that will ultimately be the solution.

I will update.

thanks again,

todd

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.