General Help

Hey guys,

i have a project with multi site that involves the following:

Create a multi site system for affiliates to be able to create their own website to help us market our products.
We want the affiliates that sign up the ability to choose between 4 templates that will be pre-filled with information.
For these sites and templates, we want them to:
a)autogenerate the name of the person on the home page and the title of their site.
b) make sure their email is integrated into the contact form.
c)on site creation, automatically create new affiliate account from software on another domain(post affiliate pro) and once this is done, automatically integrate product images and links from this affiliate program into one particular page of this new wordpress site. Is this possible with easy blog templates or by customizing it.

In regards to the customers,
We will need to lock this affiliate product page once completed so that they cannot edit the products.
They should be able to change the information on the home page and on other information pages of our choosing. I don’t want them to edit the theme of websites. Is it preferable to avoid using upfront if this is the case?
If we use upfront – is there a way to prevent customers from using upfront and editing their template?
If we prevent them from using upfront from editing their templates. How can they change the content on the home page if the template was used in upfront?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Alain,

I hope you're well and thank you for your question!

That's a complex setup but I think we can be of help here :slight_smile: Let me then go through it "step by step".

Create a multi site system for affiliates to be able to create their own website to help us market our products.

That's the simplest part I think because the default Multisite WordPress would do the job. Visitors are able to signup and create their pages "by default" so this would work out of the box.

We want the affiliates that sign up the ability to choose between 4 templates that will be pre-filled with information.

A "New Blog Templates" plugin would be a tool made for you. Take a look here please:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template/

This plugin lets you "convert" any existing sub-site of your Multisite install to the "template"; you can create as many of them as you wish. A "template" is a complete sub-site (it can include pre-configured theme and plugins and even content) that will then be automatically "cloned" to the newly created sites. This means that you could use it to create your four "templates" as a regular sub-sites of your multisite and then use New Blog Templates plugin to "convert" them to those "templates".

A selection of "templates" would then be displayed during signup process so users would be able to choose from and decide which one of those four they'd like to use.

a)autogenerate the name of the person on the home page and the title of their site.

You'd need to fetch user first and/or last name from user profile and display it on the homepage and the title of their site. This would require some custom coding though.

b) make sure their email is integrated into the contact form.

Again, this would require some custom code but the code would also depend on a contact form being used on the site. It would be best to first decide which contact form plugin (or a contact form coming from a theme, if so - which theme) would be used as the code would need to be created with that contact form in mind.

c)on site creation, automatically create new affiliate account from software on another domain(post affiliate pro) and once this is done,

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with this plugin usage and how it's built. It may be better to ask its developers for help on this one.

once this is done, automatically integrate product images and links from this affiliate program into one particular page of this new wordpress site. Is this possible with easy blog templates or by customizing it.

The best way to achieve it would be to create a custom page template dedicated for that "affiliate page" of the site:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/creating-custom-page-templates-in-wordpress/

Such template could be set as default for an affiliate page on sites that are "new blog templates" so they'd be automatically populated to the new sites.

We will need to lock this affiliate product page once completed so that they cannot edit the products.
    They should be able to change the information on the home page and on other information pages of our choosing. I don’t want them to edit the theme of websites.

In order to achieve this I would use our Membership 2 Pro plugin set to work in "network-wide" mode. Take a look at plugin's usage page please:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/#product-usage

You could then create a "side-wide" membership that would be set as "non-public" and use it to protect access to some content across the network, including parts of admin dashboard. The plugin also includes an API which can be used to further extend its capabilities and also to integrate it with other plugins/themes/APIs.

It may however turn out that some further customization may be needed. I think though that Membership 2 Pro would make a solid foundation.

Is it preferable to avoid using upfront if this is the case?

It wouldn't be necessary so it's up to you whether you decide to go for Upfront.

If we use upfront – is there a way to prevent customers from using upfront and editing their template?

A simplest way to do this would be to use Upfront's built-in access control tool (available on "Upfront -> User restrictions" page in site's dashboard). This however would require "lowering" a user role of the owners of the sub-sites so they wouldn't get administrator rights for their sites. That may not be the best idea then.

Therefore, I think I'd use Membership 2 Pro (as mentioned above) to protect "backend" parts of Upfront from access. I think we could provide you as well with some code snippet to check whether a user attempting to modify Upfront layout has a "super-admin" capabilities and if not, block that attempts. It'd be a custom solution but in this case I think we could help.

If we prevent them from using upfront from editing their templates. How can they change the content on the home page if the template was used in upfront?

They wouldn't be able to edit site's layout but you could e.g. set Upfront (while creating a "template site" - see New Blog Templates explanation above) to use a "real" page as a homepage instead of its default homepage. To do this you just create a regular WP page and set it as homepage on "Settings -> Reading" page and then modify layout using Upfront editor.

As a result, users with no ability to modify Upfront layout/use Upfront editor would be able to edit homepage content if necessary simply by editing the page that's set as homepage via WP back-end.

I hope I didn't miss anything :slight_smile: If you have any further questions, let me know please and I'll be happy to assist.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Alain

Hi Adam,

can we use Membership 2 Pro in combination with pro sites to do the following?
    You could then create a "side-wide" membership that would be set as "non-public" and use it to protect access to some content across the network, including parts of admin dashboard.

Is there a way to white label the upfront editor. I.E. not have the words upfront show anywhere?

If we already have a template designed in upfront. How can we transfer this template to a real page easily... So that I can set this real page as the homepage? (so that this content can be edited later by customers)

• Dimitris

Hey there Alain,

hope you're doing good and don't mind skipping in! :slight_smile:

can we use Membership 2 Pro in combination with pro sites to do the following?
    You could then create a "side-wide" membership that would be set as "non-public" and use it to protect access to some content across the network, including parts of admin dashboard.

Pro Sites plugin is meant to be used for providing premium services (more or less). How do you think to combine these two plugins? I'm asking you so because most of the times just one of these are enough and Adam's suggestion doesn't include PS but only M2PRO (seems a lighter and more niche solution).
    I may miss something in your plan though, so please do correct me if there's another need here. :slight_smile:

Is there a way to white label the upfront editor. I.E. not have the words upfront show anywhere?

There's already a language file in /wp-content/themes/upfront/languages/upfront.pot which includes all translated-ready strings. You may need to use some CSS too, in order to alter the UF logo in editor for example. :wink:

If we already have a template designed in upfront. How can we transfer this template to a real page easily... So that I can set this real page as the homepage? (so that this content can be edited later by customers)

In general, what you'll need in UF is the Post Data element, which is the old good the_content() which is the content that can be edited in WP admin edit-page screen.

So, you can create a page setup in UF editor, use the Post Data element in it, and then use this page as homepage in WP admin (Settings->Reading->Front page displays).

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Alain!

i was inquiring about pro sites because i want the ability for the users to have their own domain or purchase their own domain.

A right tool for this would be the Domain Mapping plugin that's designed specifically for such use. Take a look here please:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/

It may work with and without Pro Sites. If used with Pro Sites you can make "own domain feature" available to only selected Pro Sites levels. If used without Pro Sites "own domain feature" will be available for all sub-sites.

Pro Sites won't interfere with Membership 2 Pro as they both were designed for different usage.

I would also like the ability to sell users premium plugins like chat or appoitmennts...

There are two solutions for this. One is Pro Sites and this lets you create "Levels", each one giving access to selected range of plugins/themes. Another one (alternative) would be the Pretty Plugins plugin:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pretty-plugins/

This one let you "sell" single plugins in a way that the sub-site admin has access to all the available plugins and may select which ones he/she wants to enable and/or buy.

Both these plugins can work together as well.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.