General Multi-DB Questions - Newbie Warning

These are some general Newbie Multi-DB Questions I've had and searching the forum seems to be confusing me more, so if there is a clear answer I have missed feel free just to give me the link.

1. What is the best way to go about backing up your Multi-DB install? I generally use Backup Buddy but it seems to only grab the first database so not sure that would still be a solution.

2. If you need to locate a particular site in the databases for some reason how would you do that?

3. How do you know when to add something to the add_global_table?

• aecnu

Greetings orangethermal,

1. What is the best way to go about backing up your Multi-DB install?

I offer you to download in what is in my opinion the greatest Database Management software of all time Navicat.

That could definitely do the job for you.

2. If you need to locate a particular site in the databases for some reason how would you do that?

Well I would first go to the global database, look up the wp_blog table and get the blog/site ID. Then search through the other databases looking for that ID and when found Bingo! You have found that blogs files.

3. How do you know when to add something to the add_global_table?

Only when told to, of course this database also contains the main site information as well as the networks information.

Hopefully my above answers will make your transition into Multi DB a smoother and less frustrating experience.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• orangethermal

I offer you to download in what is in my opinion the greatest Database Management software of all time Navicat.

Great, I will have to learn that then, thanks for the tip.

Well I would first go to the global database, look up the wp_blog table and get the blog/site ID. Then search through the other databases looking for that ID and when found Bingo! You have found that blogs files.

I have a wp_blogs table I would assume that is the same one just adding here for clarification in case I'm wrong or someone in the future has the same question.

Only when told to, of course this database also contains the main site information as well as the networks information.

Okay

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.