General (well some specific) questions about ProSites and moving web sites

I think I want to use MultiSite. Let me tell you what I'm doing, and maybe some folks here with more experience than I have (that's like ALL of you) can give me some advice.

I'm a geek. I used to self-host all of my websites on in-house Linux servers. About 6 months ago I moved them "out to the cloud" to a shared hosting site. This has not met my needs or my standards, and I'm contemplating moving them to an unmanaged VPS service like Linode (I actually already manage a mailman mailing list server on Linode, so I'm familiar with it, but certainly other recommendations are welcome). I want to do this "right" though, so I have some questions about MultiSite and even perhaps ProSites.

I current have a membership site (using the Membership plugin here) at http://www.caledonia.net. I also have three other business sites of my own (mostly just blog/lead capture stuff), the makings of 15 other membership sites, three family sites, and I host a website for a customer. The customer has a mostly simple WordPress site.

My thought is, if I used MultiSite and even ProSites, I could allow not only the various people involved in these sites to "manage" their own, but if another small customer pops up wanting hosting, ProSites would make it all flow together well.

Is this a reasonable thought? Where would this possibly "fall apart"? I assume that MultiSite would not be suitable if any of these sites needs their own IP address? But maybe that's not true.

Also, I've become pretty good at "moving" databases for WordPress, but since Multisite uses the same DB, I suspect that I'll have some hacking of the SQL exports to be able to import it all. Any suggestions there welcomed as well!

Any suggestions/feedback here on whether I should go MultiSite or just keep things separate?

Thanks!

Danita

• Danita
    • The Incredible Code Injector

By the way, in doing some reading, I found examples of moving sites with WXR files. there seem to be some limitations with that, such as losing user roles, etc. Since I am competent with MySQL, I'm assuming that it's more reliable to export/import the databases and edit a few things in the databases than using WXR files. Is that true?

Thanks!

Danita

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi @danita,

My thought is, if I used MultiSite and even ProSites, I could allow not only the various people involved in these sites to "manage" their own, but if another small customer pops up wanting hosting, ProSites would make it all flow together well.

Is this a reasonable thought? Where would this possibly "fall apart"? I assume that MultiSite would not be suitable if any of these sites needs their own IP address? But maybe that's not true.

Multisite & pro-sites aren't really hosting in a sense, the customer would get their own hosting account with CPanel, it would just be a site on your main multisite, so whilst they will have their own Dashboard for each site, they wouldn't have their own Hosting account or FTP access etc. You are also correct in thinking they would not be able to have different IP addresses. But they could use their own domain name by using the Domain mapping plugin.

Pro-sites would allow you to sell different blogs/sites on your multisite & offer different plugin/theme packages depending on their pro-site subscription. So you could tailor premium packages for different users, ie. have marketpress & other e-commerce plugins/themes in 1 package, & membership & Buddypress in another package, so if a user wants to set up an e-commerce site, he could subscribe to a package that offers the e-commerce plugins/themes.

As for moving sites to & fro, Our latest release of Snapshot, now makes it possible to move single sites to multisite, or mmove an entire site to a different server without the need to edit the DB & change those pesky URLS. https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/snapshot/#usage

Hope this helps

• Danita
    • The Incredible Code Injector

So, the biggest downside to multisite in general is that all plugins/themes need to be controled by the main account, right?

What about the Membership plugin? I've been reading some posts here about it and MultiSite, and I can't really tell if Membership truly does work well for MultiSite, or if it's best to have stand-alone WordPress for it.

Thanks!

Danita

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi @danita,

Sorry for the delay on this. I suppose if you call it a donside to multisite. Many people actually think of this as an upside though.

Membership plugin just restricts access to content based on subscription level. It does work in a multisite environment, and I believe the developer has fixed a bug that caused it to not work well when network activated & global ables was enabled. So it's likely that the next release 3.5 will definitely be more usable on a multisite global basis as opposed to just on individual subsites. It certainly works well at protecting a single/subsite on a multisite.

Hope this helps

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.