Geo Location IP Address for Popup Pro

I purchased Popup Pro because it could target GEO location. I interpreted this to be specific location based, not just country. We would like a kilometre radius filter. For example:

Only display popup messages for people based in a particular city or town.

I imagine there would be a fall back if the user hide or prevented the geo location, similar to the current country criteria option.

How can we achieve this? Is there another add-on or work around?

• Vaughan

Hi Rhett,

The geolocation in popup is only based on country, there is no filter at all for city/town.

I think this would need to be custom coded, I can add this to the feature requests for the plugin developer to consider in a future release, however if you need this doing urgently you might need to hire a developer to custom code this for you. We do have a jobs board here if you would like to advertise. https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

I'll also ask one of our developers to see if he can come up with a quick solution, but I think this would be quite complex, so I can't guarantee that this would be possible.

Hope this helps

• Rhett

Hi Vaughan - thanks for your reply about this. To be honest I was disappointed when I did not see the feature in the plugin. I tried the free version of the plugin to see the functionality because it did do the geo location. It did not let me see how you guys done, if you say within the description it geo targeting you assumed it was capable of targeting a geographical location that the user chooses. If it only does "country" targeting/filtering then you should specify this.

What is also a bit annoying is that I believe others would like this feature and use it because it is more targeted and reduces "annoying popups" that people hate and unfriendly to user experience. I suspect but could be wrong that I might pay for the development and you guys will profit from it and use it in your next update of the plugin.

Do you guys see where I'm coming from. I don't think I'm being too unreasonable.

• Jude

Hi Rhet,

I would agree with @Vaughan that although easily possible with our plugin, this requires quite a bit custom coding to implement.

We would like a kilometre radius filter. For example:

Only display popup messages for people based in a particular city or town.

This is certainly not possible using the current plugin, which only supports Country based Geo Location.

How can we achieve this? Is there another add-on or work around?

There are several options available for this, you can retrieve this information from the client either a mobile device or desktops using third party libraries.

Take a look at the W3C Specs / API for this purpose. You can also try libraries like this one or this one

See this question on how to get City/State details from the response the client sends you.

You can do this yourself with a bit of code or hire a developer to do this for you as described in the previous post.

Hope this helps

Cheers,
    Jude

• Rhett

Hi Vaughan - thanks for your reply about this. To be honest I was disappointed when I did not see the feature in the plugin. I tried the free version of the plugin to see the functionality because it did do the geo location. It did not let me see how you guys done, if you say within the description it geo targeting you assumed it was capable of targeting a geographical location that the user chooses. If it only does "country" targeting/filtering then you should specify this.

What is also a bit annoying is that I believe others would like this feature and use it because it is more targeted and reduces "annoying popups" that people hate and unfriendly to user experience. I suspect but could be wrong that I might pay for the development and you guys will profit from it and use it in your next update of the plugin.

Do you guys see where I'm coming from. I don't think I'm being too unreasonable.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.