Get the Non-Multisite Add New User form in the Admin on a Multisite Subsite.

I want the non-multisite (regular wordpress) add new user form with the fields: First Name, Last Name, Website, Username, Password, Email, etc. on a Multisite subsite. I have clients who need to give their users Names. How can this be accomplished.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Joel,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The user management on Multisite install is a bit different to the regular single sites which is mostly caused by the fact that there's still a single user base in database. By default sub-site admins can only add users to their sites choosing from existing (already registered) Multisite users but that can be changed.

Please login to the site as a super-admin and go to the "Network Admin -> Settings" page. There's an 'Allow site administrators to add new users to their site via the "Users -> Add new" page" option and if you enable it, sub-site admins will be able to create new users' accounts.

The form, however, will only consist of "username", "email" and "role" selection and they still won't be able to edit users. The way around it would be to grant an additional capability to sub-site admins.

The "User Role Editor" plugin already has a tool for this. You'll find the plugin here:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/user-role-editor/

Once you install it on a Multisite, network-enable it and go to "Network Admin -> Settings -> User Role Editor" page, switch to "Multisite" tabl, check the "Allow non super admins to create, edit and delete users" checkbox and save.

From now on sub-site admins will be able to add new users to their sites, with a form that includes "username", "email" and "role Selection' but it will also add a "Skip Confirmation Email" option. After the user is added, a sub-site admin can go to "Users -> All users" on the sub-site and click on "Edit" link where they can edit the user profile, including first and last name etc and also set the password for them.

This is as close as you can get with a regular Multisite WordPress install.

Making that "add user" form include all the fields that you mentioned would require some custom development that would actually create your own, custom "new user" page in sub-site backend, but I'm afraid that this is a bit outside of the scope of this support. If you need help with custom development, you might want to post a job offer on our "Jobs & Pros" job board (please note: no WPMU DEV staff involved!) here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.