Getting 403 errors on public pages with Multi-Domains plugin

I am trying to set up a new site that is not a subdomain but an entirely new URL. Main site is plattweb.net and I already have two sites set up as subs from that: northport.plattweb.net and artbydaryl.plattweb.net. Now I'm trying to set up another site, this one is margaretloftus.net. I can view pages from the Dashboard on that new site but they are inaccessible publicly. Please advise.

• Patrick

Hi there @David

Welcome to WPMU DEV, glad to have you aboard!

I think there may be a bit of confusion here about what the Multi-Domains plugin is designed for.

It enables you to associate multiple domain names so you, or your users, can create subsites of any of them on the same install. For example, if your main domain is domain1.com and you add domain2.com with the plugin, a subsite can be created at either one, like so:
    sub.domain1.com
    sub.domain2.com

The plugin is not designed for, and cannot be used, to add physically separate WordPress installs or top-level sites accessible at their own domain name.

To add sites to your network that can accessed at their own domain name, you would want to use Domain Mapping. That enables you to map an existing subsite to its own name.

For example, sub.domain1.com can be mapped to domain2.com and accessed directly at that URL.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/

I hope this helps! And thanks for being a member :slight_smile:

That way,

• David

Thanks for the response. I'm not quite following you though. I only have one WordPress installation on my virtual hosted server, but I am trying to have 3 different WP sites all being handled by that one WordPress installation. I thought Multi-Domains would allow that. And in the instructions I read about Multi-Domains (as well as your note here) it sounds like I can "have domain1.com as main site and then add domain2.com using the plugin." That's exactly what I'm trying to do. Domain1 and Domain2 are different WP sites (under the same installation - or Network) and each has their own themes and content. Is this possible or am I reading the intent of Multi-domains wrong? The comment about subsites is throwing me off, although I do have subsites in use (but those are working fine). Thanks again for you assist and looking forward to your reply.

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply.

To give your sub site its own domain like margaretloftus.ne you have to use the following domain mapping plugin along with this multi domains plugin.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/

The video displayed on the following page will better describe you information about it.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/multi-domains/

Please advise if you have more questions.

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.