Getting a 404 error message when I publish a forum topic

Hi

Since installing Ultimate Facebook and configuring the autoposting, everytime I publish a post or forum topic I get a 404 error – although the publishing is successful!

Have you heard of this happening before?

Thanks

James.

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hey James,

Try flushing your permalinks.

– Go to your WordPress Dashboard > Settings > Permalinks. Make a note of the existing Permalink settings.

– Now set the permalinks as default and save it.

– Now set it back to how it was and save it again.

That ought to fix it. Let me know.

• jamesathomson
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Arun

Thanks for your email. I flushed the permalinks as instructed and this time selected an alternative setting – still not standard.

This time though, I get an internal server error 500 message.

Should I try the same setting they were before? (That wasn’t standard either)

Cheers

J.

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hey there,

500 error isn’t looking good. Are you just seeing it on the forum pages? OR is it happening in the backend.

Now that I read this again..

Since installing Ultimate Facebook and configuring the autoposting, everytime I publish a post or forum topic I get a 404 error – although the publishing is successful!

.. am a bit confused. You mean, when you hit the publish butting you get a 500 / 404 error? Or is it like when you view the post?

Can you pass a link please?

• jamesathomson
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Arun

Thanks for your quick reply. Here’s whats happening.

When I post a new forum topic from the dashboard (not the front end) I get a 500 Internal Server Error 500.

But, when I browse to http://www.extrafriends.co.uk to check the new topic IS there in the forum, and ultimate facebook is correctly posting it to our Facebook page.

If you still have your login details instead of a link please try yourself. Post a test topic and it should do the same for you.

For your info, here is the URL I am getting on the 500 Internal Server Error page;

http://www.extrafriends.co.uk/wp-admin/post.php?post=1744&action=edit&message=6&wdfb_published=1

Thanks for your help

James.

• jamesathomson
    • The Crimson Coder

Here’s the latest,

[Fri Oct 19 12:21:35 2012] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xx.xxx] Premature end of script headers: index.php, referer: http://www.extrafriends.co.uk/wp-admin/post.php?post=1357&action=edit&message=1

and another…

[Fri Oct 19 12:05:07 2012] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xx.xxx] Premature end of script headers: index.php, referer: http://www.extrafriends.co.uk/wp-admin/post.php?post=1357&action=edit

and another…

[Fri Oct 19 12:05:06 2012] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xx.xxx] Premature end of script headers: admin-ajax.php, referer: http://www.extrafriends.co.uk/wp-admin/post.php?post=1357&action=edit

Hope that helps!

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again.

Premature end of script headers

Sounds a little promiscuous….

Anyway, you’ll want to check all file and folder permissions, consult with your host as well. I’ve seen reports of this being down to a corrupt php.ini file.

You can also try increasing these in your PHP:

max_execution_time – Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds

max_input_time – Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data

memory_limit – Maximum amount of memory a script may consume

So there are a few different potential issues with various fixes and it seems to relate to the server.

Can you let me know what your host says and does? and how you get on?

Take care.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hello, hope you’re well.

Just following up on some threads here and noted that we’ve not heard from you in a while.

If you’re still looking for some assistance on this thread then please by all means reopen it or create a fresh thread for any new questions.

Take care.

• jamesathomson
    • The Crimson Coder

Hey Timothy

The changes you list above;

max_execution_time – Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds

max_input_time – Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data

memory_limit – Maximum amount of memory a script may consume

can you tell suggest any values against them? My host aren’t very good with WordPress.

Thanks!

James.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Well it will vary from install to install.

For example if you used MarketPress and nothing else then WordPress should be fine with 32mb and have room to grow.

If it were MarketPress and you have large digital downloads then those downloads need to be taken into account because the download is masked with PHP. If the file were 128mb in size then you would need more than that to cover the download and any other PHP processing.

If you were uploading a large file then it will take more time so you need to increase the execution time and if something is parsing which is time consuming then you need more input time.

That’s just an example.

You’ll obviously need more if you had 10 plugins or 20 or 50 (I’ve seen some sites running hundreds :-s).

It’s just like your computer the more you try to do the more memory you need to do it other wise things slow down and errors occur.

You’re running Multisite, so it will use more as more sites are added.

What I’m saying here is that it’s all relative to your install and what you’re doing on the site. You should maybe ask your host what memory is being used and then maybe double it which should give you more room to grow.

Take care.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hello, hope you’re having a fantastic day!

Just checking if it was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, that’s great news. if however you still need some assistance then please feel free to reopen this thread or for any different issues create a fresh thread.

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.