Getting a PHP Error with Snapshot settings page

Here's a link to the screenshot I see on the settings page, showing a PHP error.

http://www.screencast.com/t/xzqE7tpLcc9o

Any ideas?

• Alexander

Hi @kenivey,

This means your site doesn't have enough memory to handle all the plugins, your theme, and WordPress core functions. Nowadays 40MB isn't enough unless you're only using a couple plugins. WordPress core by itself uses close to that much.

I'd recommend that you try increasing your memory limit in wp-config.php - You can find more about this here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Increasing_memory_allocated_to_PHP

Best regards,

• Paul

@kenivey,

Here's a link to the screenshot I see on the settings page, showing a PHP error.

I've viewed the screenshot and feel I must be missing something as I'm not seeing an obvious error. Just information. As you seeing a specific error when you attempt to create a snapshot archive?

It seems to me there should be an easier way to increase php memory than to edit the core wp files for every website I run.

Well you will need to take that issue up with WordPress not us. They are the ones who define the model we follow with our plugins. And technically the wp-config.php is not a core file as this file is not provided from WordPress. You are expected to change the sample file provided for your install with the database information. So you own the file not WordPress. Plus when you go through the upgrade core processing within wp-admin the wp-config.php file is not one of the files updated.

• kenivey

Thanks Paul - no, that's all there is - just what's on the screenshot.

Thanks for the info on wp-config.php

I think rather than experimenting with system files, I'll see if I can find any more information on the actual problem - if there is one. It seems like the plugin is working -

Thanks guys. I'll do more digging and post when I know more. I was just hoping someone could readily identify the issue.

• Paul

@kenivey

I think rather than experimenting with system files, I'll see if I can find any more information on the actual problem - if there is one. It seems like the plugin is working -

Ok. Well here is a little more information about the Snapshots > Settings page information which might be helpful.

The screenshot you provided was from the 'Server Info' section. This is helpful for us when you come to the forums to report an issue. Just below that section is a section 'Memory Limit'. As described in that section this is where you can allow Snapshot to use more memory than you have already defined in the wp-config.php setting. The reason for this is that building an archive, especially if you have a large site, uses much more memory than a normal page load by a front-end user. So you can grant more memory to Snapshot without needing to enable more memory globally for all processes.

Also on this page down toward the bottom is a section for 'Error Reporting'. This is helpful to show even the smallest PHP related error during processing. So if you suspect you are having an issue enable all the checkboxes and see what is output on the screen. Though a warning. This is equal to enabling WP_DEBUG in your wp-config.php and will show warnings/notices/errors not just for Snapshot but for other plugins.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.