Getting a "This webpage has a redirect loop" on 3 out of 7 of sites created

I have multisite, buddypress, pro site - all new. I have had 5 people create sites and I have created 2 others. Everything seems to work great - although they haven't started to create their sites or they would have spotted this on their own. I tried to access their sites in the site directory. When I got this error "This webpage has a redirect loop" I then put their urls into a browser and got the same thing. Help! Thanks in advance! Linda

• iempoweru
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi @Ashok - yes, I am using the buddypress redirect plugin and I am also using the domain mapping plugin, although not on those domains. Oh, and I was surfing google for an answer and they kept saying to clear my browser, which I did, still get the same message. Thanks for your help!

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Would you please check just disabling buddypress redirect plugin?

If still not solved, then please put the following code in your functions.php file.
    remove_filter('template_redirect', 'redirect_canonical');

Let me know how you doing.

Cheers
    Ash

• iempoweru
    • The Crimson Coder

@Ashok - yes by removing the buddypress login redirect I was able to solve the problem. But, that was one feature I really liked. Is there another way to accomplish this - redirecting specifically to the community page?

Thanks always!

• iempoweru
    • The Crimson Coder

@Ashok - I just logged on again. It turns out that if I am logged in, the urls work. When I log out, they give the redirect loop again.

No, I have not tried the code. I don't know where the functions.php file is. Thanks again. Linda

• iempoweru
    • The Crimson Coder

@Ashok - I am reading the wordpress codex and think its probably in the theme file, but, should I put it in the adult or child version of my theme. I opened up the adult version of my theme, eek, where do I put the code? Thanks for you help!

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hi there

Sorry for being late. As you know we need to deal with multiple threads at a time, so sometimes it's been some late.

Anyway, you can put in parent or child theme - anywhere. Child theme is better. And put the codes at the end of functions.php just before " ?> " tag.

Please let me know if you need help to put the code in your file.

Cheers
    Ash

• iempoweru
    • The Crimson Coder

@Ashok no problem - I am really happy that you are here to ask questions and help me trouble shoot.

Ok, I did as you suggested. I inserted the code into the studio-child functions.php file, screen shot enclosed.

Then I cleared my browser cache.

I typed the following 3 urls into my browser:

theecoaccelerator.com/rockiesventure
    theecoaccelerator.com/jskoller
    theecoaccelerator.com/charlesehughes

and I still get the webpage-has-a-redirect-loop message

then I checked the others:

theecoaccelerator.com/douglasgriess
    theecoaccelerator.com/siliconwadi
    theecoaccelerator.com/jerrybrownpr

and they come up just fine.

So, then I logged into the main site and tried them all again. They all work just fine that way.

I have not plugged back in the buddypress login redirect - have not made any changes.

And also, when I log in, it takes me directly to my dashboard.

Thanks for you help!

• iempoweru
    • The Crimson Coder

I will send you the ftp info shortly. That solution will not work. I am going to have quite a few members that may want to change their theme. None of these guys will be keeping the 2013 theme anyway - that was the default theme when they joined. And they should be able to do so without their site disappearing. And why is it not consistent. All of these people created their sites within a few days of each other - some do some don't.

I will send to Attn: Ashok by contact.

Thanks in advance.

• iempoweru
    • The Crimson Coder

@Ashok Yesterday morning I removed all the pages that had been created and deactivated the membership plugin on the Resource Center. I had had problems with the way the domain mapping worked on that site also. So I removed the url. Then I signed off, cleared browser cacheing and re-installed the url. Then I re-installed the membership plugin, and re-configured it. I finally got it to work right - for the first time.

That is when I sent you the email that I had solved the problems I had been writing to you about.

Then I noticed the url issue that we are now working on. Thanks for your help.

• iempoweru
    • The Crimson Coder

The redirect has been deactivated since you asked me to yesterday.

Explain a bit more what you are wanting me to do with disabling the plugins.

Here is the htaccess

# BEGIN WordPress
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?sitemap.xml wp-content/sitemap.php [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

# END WordPress

Thanks!

• iempoweru
    • The Crimson Coder

@Ashok
    I removed the redirect login plugin

I don't know if this will help, but, when logged out, and I try these url's,

theecoaccelerator.com/rockiesventure
    theecoaccelerator.com/jskoller
    theecoaccelerator.com/charlesehughes

not only do I get the message: This webpage has a redirect loop

but this is how the urls change in the browser:

http://theecoaccelerator.com/charlesehughes/protected/
    http://theecoaccelerator.com/rockiesventure/protected-test/
    http://theecoaccelerator.com/jskoller/protected/

I will be back to my office in a few hours and will start deactivating plugins to test. In the meantime, did you get the ftp logins that I sent you?

Thanks for your help!

• iempoweru
    • The Crimson Coder

@Ashok ok, good news - it is resolved. First I removed that code that I inserted into the functions.php

I checked that all sites on the system were public - yes. Then I went into each dashboard of each site and deactivated all the plugins within each.

I unplugged every plugin in the network and then put them all back on one at a time. I tested it against all of the sites currently on the system, plus the 3 admin sites.

No conflict with plugins. I think it was because the 3 problem urls had activated the members plugin but had not configured it. That is the only thing I can figure out.

As always, thank you for your help!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.