Getting an infinite redirect loop when trying to edit the admin profile, or view it

If i am logged in as admin i get the loop error when trying to view or edit my profile

if i am logged in as a user i get the same problem trying to view the admin profile.

No other accounts are effected this way.

tried switching email accounts on the admin main network account, emptied cache etc.

still no joy

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

@Kimberly

this is all i get

This web page has a redirect loop
    The web page at http://native-speakers.org/members/admin/ has resulted in too many redirects. Clearing your cookies for this site or allowing third-party cookies may fix the problem. If not, it is possibly a server configuration issue and not a problem with your computer.
    Here are some suggestions:
    Reload this web page later.
    Learn more about this problem.
    Error 310 (net::ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS): There were too many redirects.

tried clearing cache, i have buddypress installed, etc.

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

@Kimberly any more ideas
    @aecnu Joe you're the network guy :p hopefully you might see a problem with the redirect, its strange though because i added another superadmin and they can edit their own settings etc, but the main admin account just wont edit or be viewed. Just loops.

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

No idea!

The only two common solutions I find are with .htaccess issues and plugin conflicts :slight_frown: Have you tried to turn everything off? (I'm sure you have but have to ask) I saw one guy had this issue because of bbpress (don't recall you saying if you were usign the bbpress forums) and another that it was WPML, so it could be anything

maybe post the copy of your htaccess and I'll see about getting SUPER JOE @aecnu to have a look :slight_smile:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Howdy Ho there Tom and Kimberly,

This one is always a bean buster and as Kimberly mentioned usually an htaccess issue but then one would think that the reaction would be all affected or none.

I think we should first try resetting the permalinks, even if they are set to anything but default hit the save button anyway.

Next would be the htaccess file.

Here is a very clean one to try from my own test production server:

<files wp-config.php>
    order allow,deny
    deny from all
    </files>

# BEGIN WordPress
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^files/(.+) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$1 [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]
    # END WordPress

The first four lines represent protecting the wp-config.php file from hackers, scammers, and other types no gooders.

The rest between "Begin WordPress" and "End WordPress" is pure.

Please advise if this helps at all, either of these suggestions.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Tom,

Thank you for letting me know and for an absolutely clean and flawless htaccess file to bring your site completely down is unbelievable.

Is this a MultiSite or Solo?

If MultiSite a sub domain or sub directory install?

Buddy press 1.6.1?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

my current file. (working but with the admin user error)

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^files/(.+) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$1 [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Tom,

Thank you for the additional input, it is certainly appreciated in our attempts to get this anomaly resolved.

I have the same exact configuration on my test production server including Buddy Press and my htaccess example and cannot reproduce the issue.

In addition, can you see any difference between our two htaccess files minus the first four lines that keep snoops out of the wp-config.php file?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

link to admin

http://native-speakers.org/members/admin /

link to any other user

http://native-speakers.org/members/anyotherusername/

notice the space in the url

however on the url i get to with the indefinate loop warning the url in the address bar shows this.

http://native-speakers.org/members/admin/

when i copy and paste the profile link url link to notepad for example i see this

http://native-speakers.org/members/admin%20%20/

so something is throwing some spaces in there... checked the user and cant see anything

• hpidriver
    • The Crimson Coder

When I originally set up my WP Multisite network, I ran into errors due to hidden special characters in my htaccess file.
    How exactly are you editting and uploading your htaccess file? Is your FTP uploader set to ASCII mode? And your text editor should have word wrap disabled.

• hpidriver
    • The Crimson Coder

If you disable any of the plugins does it still occur?
    What permalinks structure are you using? Any possibility that there is a trailing space left in there? (long shot...)
    You also mentioned that if you create a new super admin account, it does not happen. Are you able to change the name of this 'admin' account?

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

@aecnu hi joe lol with prohibition kicking in over here, the saving grace is that czech beer is awsome.

Was a wierd error but not a show stopper because of the workround.

Heading off to finish the tutorial on customising admin bars etc.

p.s. thanks for the cookies :p

By the way looking to move hosts once i have the site in its finished state, so will get back to you, decided to go for that dual processor offer plus an extra 500 gb drive.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.