getting back to global shop after adding to cart

Hi, I realise with different sites contributing to the global shop, buyers will go to the specific site selling the product when they add an item to the cart. How can I best set up the multisite to make sure that after an item is added to the cart the buyer gets an obvious route back to browse for more products in the global shop? At the moment, in my test site, once the item is added to the cart (in a sub domain site) they stay on that site and there is no obvious path back to the global shop.

Thanks

Aileen

http://www.bothybiz.com

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Aileen,

Welcome to WPMU DEV!

I would simply put a link or button linked to the global store somewhere on the page.

You could hard code it into your available theme so that the users/sub sites cannot remove it from being displayed where you choose to put it.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Aileen,

Thank you for the additional question and indeed it probably can be hard coded into the shopping cart widget which is a great idea.

Just during every update you will need to replace the coding as it will get over written in the event of an update.

Thank you for that great vision of hard coding it into the shopping cart widget.

Cheers, Joe

• Aileen
    • Flash Drive

Ok, so how dies it get hard coded into the widget? Is that something you would do? I mean we want people to keep shopping after adding an item to that cart, just now the only option they have is to view cart or check out.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Aileen

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Aileen,

Thanks you again for another great question.

Ok, so how dies it get hard coded into the widget? Is that something you would do?

Unfortunately, as we both know it is not currently available - but we would love to put it into consideration for future development

This falls into the realm of custom coding which is beyond the scope of the support we provide here though we do try to help if we can and we would never withhold an answer.

I have moved this ticket to the applicable feature requests area and I have alerted the lead developer to the request.

It might take a bit longer than useful, but alternatively you could see if there's a developer available at wpmu jobs who could get onto it right this minute or perhaps tweaky.com

Cheers, Joe

• espsjurs
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi there,

Aileen says:

just now the only option they have is to view cart or check out.

Is this true? The option is eighter to go to cart or continue shopping, controlled by the 'Checkout Button Type' in the settings.

With continue shopping they should be put at the product page or product list page they currently on.

So if this is going to be hardcoded it should be done in core function with a new option for 'farward to url' when adding to cart in the same section where you select the button type.

A solution can also be to use a 'breadcrumb trail' for the user to jump back to the path he was coming from..

Espen

• Aileen
    • Flash Drive

Hi Espen, the only 2 options I can see are 'buy now' or 'add to cart', there's no 'continue shopping' option.

I'm not a coder, so I would have no idea where to start, but I think it should be an option in both the 'add to cart' function and the 'shopping cart' widget.

I have a breadcrumb trail, but it's not user friendly. neither do I want to have to change every store - just want it to be 'as standard'.

cheers

Aileen

• espsjurs
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi again Aileen,

The 'buy now' is the 'go to cart' and the 'add to cart' is the 'continue to shop' option. You should test them out and se how the options changes the function on the button (and the label on it).

And; thanks for the reps:slight_smile:

Espen

• Aileen
    • Flash Drive

Hi Espen,

I understand, but when a user 'adds to cart' they are left on the same product page, I'd prefer them to be taken back to the global shop front to encourage them to buy more. Similarly when they view their cart, as well as 'checkout now' I'd like to give them the option to continue 'shopping'. My site is http://www.bothybiz.com - if it's there I'm missing it.

Thanks

Aileen

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Aileen,

Thank you for the great questions.

Regarding the upcoming version of the Market Press plugin, you can certainly test drive it by downloading it from here and regarding the Grid for I shall quote the lead developer Aaron:
    No grid support in the global list yet, sorry.

Reference: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/marketpress-28-beta#post-323360

Concerning the widget though, what if I am in a store in which the niche is Golf that I found searching on Google, and I click to continue shopping and I am sent to the Global store front - I do not think my reaction will be favorable.

It is my opinion that this indeed needs to be thought out a bit further.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.