Getting confused about how many multi networks to run with.

I am running WordPress Multisite with BuddyPress and have recently installed BP Multi Network to support a separate BuddyPress network for each WordPress subsite.

What's confused me is this ... Now that I have separate BuddyPress networks at my subsites how do I establish BuddyPress pages - Activity, Groups, Members, etc - for each subsite? At the moment BuddyPress Settings - and therefore the Pages option - is only available at the Network Admin dashboard and not at the subsite dashboards.

Have I done the wrong thing assuming that WordPress Multisite is "the network"? By that I mean the instructions for BP Multi Network says that multiple WP networks can be created with either WP Multi Network or Networks+ ... so does that mean I would need to install WP Multi Network as well (I thought that WP Multisite would be all I'd need).

If I take what's said in the BP Multi Network instructions literally, then I'll end up with the following network-based components:

- WordPress Multisite
- BuddyPress with BP Multi Network
- WP Multi Network

That looks like one too many network components to me ... but maybe that's what I need to get BuddyPress Settings available at my subsite dashboard.

So, should I go ahead and install WP Multi Network? If not, how do I get BuddyPress Settings available at my subsite dashboard?

Thanks ... Michael

• PC

Hello Michael,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

What's confused me is this ... Now that I have separate BuddyPress networks at my subsites how do I establish BuddyPress pages - Activity, Groups, Members, etc - for each subsite? At the moment BuddyPress Settings - and therefore the Pages option - is only available at the Network Admin dashboard and not at the subsite dashboards.

With a Multi Network plugin, you have separate networks in one Networks. So you will need to activate the plugins separately on each network. Once BuddyPress is activated for a network, its activated on the main site by default.

Have I done the wrong thing assuming that WordPress Multisite is "the network"? By that I mean the instructions for BP Multi Network says that multiple WP networks can be created with either WP Multi Network or Networks+ ... so does that mean I would need to install WP Multi Network as well (I thought that WP Multisite would be all I'd need).

BP Multinetwork : This plugin segregates BuddyPress social networks in a multi network WordPress install so that each WP network has a different social network.

So its each network that has a different social network, not each subsite which has a different social network. I am not sure why you are trying to achieve Buddypress pages on the subsites ?

That looks like one too many network components to me ... but maybe that's what I need to get BuddyPress Settings available at my subsite dashboard.

So, should I go ahead and install WP Multi Network? If not, how do I get BuddyPress Settings available at my subsite dashboard?

I am not sure if you need a Multi Network or not. But as I said in some of my older posts, you need to follow the instructions here : http://codex.buddypress.org/developer/developer-docs/using-multisite-with-buddypress/bp_enable_multiblog/ to make BuddyPress available on subsites in the network.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.