Getting error message when I try to edit categories

Description of issue: I am trying to reorganize my categories and I have categories that pop up a window that says cheating uh? you are not allowed to edit this item.

• mindset

This pisses me off -- I just typed in a long long description of the issue - and when I tried to save it -- it came back and told me this ticket was too old -- so let me try again --

The description he submitted was not very good. I have subsites named ftlauderdalebusiness, jacksonvillebusiness etc --- the issue occur on all sites -- but ftlauderdalebusiness is what we are working on. Out of 260 categories there are only 3 or 4 that returns that error message. I spent days and hours and hours and have not been able to rectify it
    ------------------------------------------
    the categories that this is happening for are apartments, bakeries, financial services. There may be more but those are the ones I have identified.

So I had liquidweb do a recursive grep on the code and here is what they found

It looks like the message is coming from the plugin qa, specifically from this file on line 290:
    /home/theactio/public_html/wp-content/plugins/qa/core/edit.php

The error appears to be a part of an _insert_post function, and stems from permissions for editing posts.
    189 function _insert_post( $post_id, $post_args, $defaults ) {
    190 if ( !$post_id ) {
    288 } else {
    289 if ( !current_user_can( 'edit_post', $post_id ) )
    290 die( "Cheatin' uh?" );

I've not found that string in any other files.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    so I deleted the qa plugin -- but that did not stop it from happening --

So then I dug into the tables -- and I found a pattern -- the categories that worked had an authorid of 774 which is the admin user for that site, and the ones that failed had an author-id of 1 which is mindset ( non admin). So I took bakeries which only had 9 post records connected to it -- and changed each author id to 774 --- but that did not work either --
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    The other issue I am having might be associated --

When I have been logged off for awhile and try to login it tells me I need to enable cookies yet if I immediately login again with changing anything -- it logs me in just fine -- but then as soon as I take a menu option -- boom it kicks me out and makes me login again --

Then from time to time when I click on something it kicks me out and makes me login again -- I have noticed that many times it is when i go to a subsite

• Ash

Hello mindset

About the cheating uh message, it's basically coming from wordpress core, this is shown if there is any permission related issue. That's being said, do you have any plugin that deals or customize user roles?

You said, you had QA plugin, and QA have a feature of editing role, lightly. Did you use that feature? Please note, roles and capabilities are saved into database. So once you change, and then deleting the plugin won't revert the capabilities back.

I would suggest, to take a complete backup of you site and then install User Role Editor plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/user-role-editor/

And then, reset the roles so if there is any custom capability settings to any role, that will be removed. Please let us know if that works.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Ash

Hello mindset

but I have pro sites modules set to have premium themes and plugins --- and many times when I login - I start having problems with my sites -- and I go to pro-sites -- and nothing is checked in the modules option -- it keeps turning everything off

When I just checked, I can see you have selected modules, seems fine here.

About the original issue, I was trying to check the directory-press settings, but I could not check them all, as there is a js error in the console and all the settings have not appeared. That makes me thinking it could be a conflict.

Would you please run a conflict test? Please deactivate all plugins except this one and check if the problem gone. If so, then enable all plugins one by one and find which one is having conflict. You need to do the same with themes as well,

You can find the flowchart here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-1

Also, did you get a chance to talk to the theme developer? I guess the directory functionality comes with the theme?

Please let us know how it goes.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• mindset

What a pain in the butt -- I had a big long message here -- somehow the screen disappeard and now the message is all gone -- so here we go again

Ok. I deactivated all the plugins and moved them to a backup directory. I network deactivated all the themes.
    I tested ftlauderdalebusiness.theactionsociety.com by trying to edit the categories and the same thing happened.
    I then moved domain mapping back into place so I could test the site by going directly to it --
    The same thing. All the issues I am having continue to occur.

Then I moved all the critical plugins back into place and activated. I spent hours doing all this and then resetting all my pro-sites, theme and plugin settings cause they were all gone.

So I shot several short videos to show the testing

This first video shows some of the login issues I am having. When you click on the login from the front page, there is no login screen - it is gone and so you have to access it by theactionsociety.com/wp-admin

https://www.screencast.com/t/ddQ0PW6Ymowq

The second video shows just the domain mapping plugin enabled and I could not access the network admin dashboard.
    Now I did figure out why I could not find wpmu dashboard to leave a ticket -- that is becuase the plugin was gone but that does not explain why I had no dashboard

https://www.screencast.com/t/VSTbeI0oPPbt

The third video shows me logging off and loggin back in -- and the same issues - no dashboard -
    https://www.screencast.com/t/KFAxwgykWv

The fourth video shows the category does the same thing -- gives me the cheatin message
    https://www.screencast.com/t/24C7fMhx

• Ash

Hello mindset

I have tried to login but it seems your given user access doesn't work anymore.

When you say cheating uh message, this is always a permission issue. That is how wordpress handled.

As you have user role editor, would you please try resetting (I know you tried once) admin role following this?
    https://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/105241/reset-default-roles-and-capabilities

Make sure you add this define before reset:

define('URE_SHOW_ADMIN_ROLE', 1);

Let us know how it goes. Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• mindset

Ash,

I am not saying you are pointing fingers but that is all I ever get. LOL. I have been dealing with this issue for months -- the theme developers point to multisite and swear it is nothing they have done or do ---- and they point to multisite --- my hosting support has spent weeks on the issue and they point to you or the theme developer, and you guys point to other people -- LOL

I am having a hard time believing that there is no solution for a permissions problem. I do know that it is over my head --- I spent weeks tracking record connections looking for settings that could cause this to happen. Soo what ever is happening has to be wordpress internal and that is miles above my head

• Ash

Hello mindset

I am sorry if it sounded though, but I was just saying as you are having permission issue to delete a category of a specific theme, so it may happen that they already saw such issue or if they can tell that for that category a specific capability is needed, then we can add that cap to the admin role. That's why I suggested to contact them :slight_smile:

Anyway, I can still take a close look, but not guaranteed as capability issue is really difficult stored in database. In that case you need to provide me a sandbox site making a replica of current site so that I can do some rough test in there.

If it is not from admin end, I will try to delete those cats from database.

So, would you please send me your admin login and cPanel details of the sandbox site?

You can send me privately in the following format:
    1. Please go to https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question
    2. Select "I have a different question" if not selected
    3. In subject line put "Attn-Ash" (this will ensure that the email is assigned to me)
    4. Provide the wanted details.
    5. Add the thread link in the message so that I can track.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• mindset

that is true -- there are 3-4 or maybe 5 categories that wil not let you edit them --- but those categories are linked to business listings --

if you delete the category -- those listings are no longer associated with that category -- in order to delete the category -- and adding a new one with out the permission issues -- ins some cases for instance apartments has 1034 listings connected to it --

so if you deleted apartments and added new category apartment ----- you would then have to edit each of the 1034 listings and add the new category again

• mindset

this is third part = see two above ----

What I am trying to do is to reorganize categories parent and sub-categories and so when I edit the category and try to change or assign a parent category and then try to save -- I get the error and it will not let me save it. This is happening on 3-5 categories on each site -- all different -- so it might be apartmetns on one site -- financial services on another -- in other words -- it is not the same 3-5 categories on each site -- and there maybe more or less than 3-5 depending on the site.

• James Morris

Hello mindset,

Working along side my colleague Ash here, I'm seeing numerous categories as described. Just doing a quick test I found 10+ categories generating this error on the ftlauderdalebusiness subsite. However, through WP Admin, I'm not seeing anything particularly special about these categories that give any clue as to why they are failing, yet others are not.

I believe in order to uncover this issue we're going to need to examine the database directly. Would it be possible for you to provide cPanel or phpMyAdmin access to us so we can dig into this further? If not, could you please export a copy of your database and send it to us? You can send this information or file privately through our secure contact form as you did previously.

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris

Hello mindset,

I have WP Admin and FTP access, but not cPanel/Hosting Panel access where I can get to phpMyAdmin.

Please visit the Contact page and complete the form with the following information:

Subject: "Attn: James Morris"

In the Message box, please provide the following:

- link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

- Hosting Control Panel Login
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris

Hello mindset,

This took a bit of deep investigation in the database but I've managed to figure out what's going on... Grab a cup of coffee.

The short answer is you're using shared term_ids on multiple taxonomies, which is no longer supported in WordPress (since 4.3). To eliminate this problem, you have to split your term_ids and ensure that they are unique. I found about 160 records in your database where the term_id was shared between the listing and post_tag taxonomies.

To determine this, I ran the following SQL query:

SELECT * FROM wp_48_term_taxonomy WHERE term_id IN ( SELECT a.term_id FROM wp_48_term_taxonomy a JOIN wp_48_term_taxonomy b on b.term_id = a.term_id AND b.taxonomy <> a.taxonomy ) ORDER BY wp_48_term_taxonomy.term_id ASC

This gave me the following result: http://storage7.static.itmages.com/i/17/1103/h_1509698340_6948038_0c517c09f2.jpeg

You can read more about this support being removed on the WordPress Developer's Blog: https://make.wordpress.org/core/2015/06/09/eliminating-shared-taxonomy-terms-in-wordpress-4-3/

To fix this issue, you're going to have to do a bit of custom coding. Fortunately, the WordPress team has provide a great example of how to accomplish this: https://make.wordpress.org/core/2015/02/16/taxonomy-term-splitting-in-4-2-a-developer-guide/

To confirm this for yourself, all you have to do is try to edit one of the bad taxonomies and change the value of taxonomy from post_tag to listing in the URL string. You'll get the same Cheatin' uh? for both taxonomies.

You can then go into phpMyAdmin and change the term_id to any unique number like 99992065 and then refresh the Cheatin' uh? page. Your edit page will then load.

See: http://storage7.static.itmages.com/i/17/1103/h_1509698822_7595878_74807b10c6.jpeg
    http://storage9.static.itmages.com/i/17/1103/h_1509698918_4773410_2ff3af896e.jpeg

I hope this clarifies a bit. Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

• mindset

Well, it is great news that we know what is causing it -- and from what I read and your images - i certainly agree with your conclusions ---

I read everything you pointed me to and though it makes sense -- my question to you is why didn't the upgrade to 4.2 split the terms ?

Though I have programmed in c before, it has been over 15 years ago and never php. So I kind of followed most of what needs to be done --

Now what I understand is - I could manually go through the results of the sql and change the post tag numbers -- I think????? if i understand correctly.

The issue is that there are 96 sites with the same issues so manuallly would be cumbersome.

So is there anyway for you guys to modify the sql to update the post tags with 9999+term_id to make it unique?

I will need your help to fix this

• Ivan

Hi mindset !

my question to you is why didn't the upgrade to 4.2 split the terms ?

It's a good question and it's the main question here.
    So, WP does it and it does it via WP Cron. It seems WP Cron doesn't work on your site, I noticed this line in the wp-config.php file on your site
    define('DISABLE_WP_CRON', true);
    If you want to enable WP Crone you can replace this line to
    define('DISABLE_WP_CRON', false);

Note: I don't recommend to update the terms manually because you will be left linking with these terms.

Best,
    Ivan,

• Ash

Hello mindset

The cron job runs based on page visit, I believe you have some visitors on your site at regular basis, so it should start working. But as you have lots of categories, so it may take some time too.

You can force to run cron in every page load using the following define:

define( 'ALTERNATE_WP_CRON', true );

Even you can try using server cron instead of wp cron: https://www.siteground.com/tutorials/wordpress/real-cron-job/

This will make sure the cron will run in time. You may try that too.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• mindset

I am having major problems with the speed of the system - ever since we started messing with the crons -- I have attached an image -- looks to me like we have many duplicates in there --

I was going to add your suggestion but it looks like it is already there numerous times --

I can not even access my sites -- it is so slow -- and it has been that way since at least monday

my other sites on this server are fine

• James Morris

Hello mindset,

I am having major problems with the speed of the system - ever since we started messing with the crons -- I have attached an image -- looks to me like we have many duplicates in there --

There's definitely some issues in your crontab. Please delete every entry except for the very first one that starts with 51 in the minute column.

Next, please follow the instructions outlined by my colleague @aknath707. Those will get the proper crontab setup for you. You'll want to schedule this for no more than once every 15 minutes. This should trigger the necessary routines to get your terms fixed.

I hope this clarifies a bit.

Best regards,

James Morris

• mindset

James,

1) all of those crontabs were put in by you guys -- so I am not sure which ones to remove --
    the multisite cronjobs were put in because of issues with the cloner not working on blogs wiht a lot of posts so they wrote a script to let it happen --- and then the ohters were added by this ticket --

and then I have been told to enable and disable and then reenable the wp_config crontab -- so I am kind of confused - what to do

• mindset

James make sure you read up a couple of tickets cause I have submitted several -- one of the issues we have been happening -- is I have been replying to emails -- and I see none of those are gettign posted --

You were the one who actually added the multisite crons from another ticket

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/not-all-content-is-not-copied-from-source-site-to-destination-in-cloner

• mindset

ok -- dont forget to read the 4 or 5 previous tickets -- ok so I got on support and vaughn clarified what you wanted me to do -- so I deleted everything but the first one and added the cron
    and marked the define disable clone to true in wp-config

so here is what crons looks like now -- see attachment --

The system still crawls slower than a snail on a dry sunny day - I can not even get to my dashboard to make changes -- it took me like 10 tries to get to support

Also I asked you about this issue also - and it seemed to have gotten lost in the fray -- we first thought it was related to the category issue -- but I think we know now that it is not

https://www.screencast.com/t/nIOX5CKUJT

• Panos

Hi mindset ,

In your screencast you mention 4 issues:

1. The login with the captcha. Can you disable the captcha and test if it still happens?

2. The latency of page load. There are many reasons that affect page load, server , db size, number of plugins, number of queries (by theme or plugins), no-cache, no minimization of js/css files. This requires a ticket on it's own. Two quich sugggestions, you can install the Query Monitor plugin which should show which queries are taking long, and deactivating plugins one by one and each time check load time could help.*

3. The register link on header. I can't see from screencast on which subsite you are. On WordPress MultiSite installations there is one registration page in main site by default ( mainsite.com/wp-signup.php ). Pro Sites has an option to redirect from that page (wp-signup.php) to the pro-site checkout page. Registration from subsites is not possible by default, as users need to be inserted in the main users table.

Registration can be done from subsites by using plugin or theme which is probably how it used to happen on your site. Can you check how you add the link to that Register menu you are using in the header? It's possibly done through theme or Menus. If you are not sure let us know which subsite you are having this and the registration page that it used to have, so we can have a look there.

4. The listing terms. It's what James has already mentioned. I'd like to force execute the default wordpress function _wp_batch_split_terms or use a custom function for that, so it should split these duplicate term_ids from terms tables in db. Before I proceed on this though I would like you to confirm that you have taken a db backup, so we can restore if something goes wrong. Could you please let us know which subsites this happens? I can see it reported only for blog_id 48

* Note:
    You have been mentioning often that the plugin conflict test has been causing issues. Plugin conflict tests and setting theme to a wp default one (eg twenty seventeen) is a must in most cases in order to find what causes the issue so we know where to look. When deactivating plugins you need to
    a) Take a full backup so you can restore if something goes wrong
    b) Know which plugins to re-activate in order to have the same environment as before. It would be helpful if you have a separate tab open with all plugins you initially had active so you don't lose count, especially if there is a huge number of plugins :slight_smile:

Cheers!

• mindset

Panos,

Thanks for answering -- I guess that is the only problem I have with this support cause you guys are great -- but everytime I talk to someone else and so everything we have covered in the past is lost in translation ----

So let me cover each area --
    NOTE: Deactivating plugins to test for conflict --- I did keep track what plugins were on -- the issue is not turning on the right plugins -- The problem is that the plugin settings are not there anymore -- all my pro-sites settings were lost etc..... Now snapshot settings are there cause I did not deactivate it -- but the others lose their settings -

Number 4) I have no problem with you forcing the splits -- It seems that you are contradicting -- above someone suggested running the term-id split and I said ok, then I was told not to run it and the crons would take care of it (which is why I assumed the system is so slow and the term-ids were being fixed in the background as we speak??????? Now you are saying you want to force the updates -- To be honest - at this point I don't care -- I just need it fixed -- it has been this way going on three months that I know of - and I can not work -- LOL.

To answer part 2 of the question -- the split term-id would apply to every table in the DB, that is if what you guys say is true and that is that the term-ids did not get split when we updated to 4.2 because cron was not running..?????? (which makes no sense to me) but it could be the reason.

Comments regarding question 4 and the response to question 2: I understand what slows a system and though some of those may be influencing since all my settings were lost. Just setting up hummingbird took me days originally, after i reinstated the plugins -- the system did not crawl - it was only after we started playing with the crons.

I want you to understand the history. When we switched server companies we were downgraded by mistake to a smaller machine and the system became really slow. While we were trying to figure out why. We discovered that the theme we were using for our business directories was no longer supported and was not compatible with the newer versions of the WP and thus we were getting many errors when accessing the DB. Then we discovered that they had downgraded us by mistake - To make up for it they gave us a refurbished dedicated server 4-5x our original size and power. We started doing the conversion to the new updated theme. This is when we uncovered the problem with the term-ids. Now the speed of the system has been fine until we started implementing these different crons. At one point you guys had 5 crons running -- the custom built multi-site cron for the cloner, The system is faster now that I got rid of all of them but 1. It is still pretty slow though. Just so you know -- I had another issue in that your plugin cloner does not work on blogs with alot of posts -- so you guys modified the cloner plugin to cycle so it would not time out, you then added a custom multisite cron to keep the cloner working until it was finished so it would not timeout and stop.

So I have to assume that the 4 crons were conflicting with each other.

Question 3). I believe I was using a plugin called "join my multisites" to handle this and I am looking into setting that back up -- since all the settings were lost when I deactivated and reactivated. So let me look at that -- and if I need help -- I will ask again

Question 1) yes it still happens with capture deactivated.

Now additional questions: Are the term-ids being corrected now since we got the wp-crons runnning???? Is that why it is so slow??? You guys have support access. This is a huge system to backup. If you would check snapshots to make sure - I would appreciate it . I went to look and cannot tell -- it looks like all my backups are running but not sure -- each action in site business, classifieds, real estate in each city should be configured and running. Then I should have a major backup of the whole multisite install --

Thanks - if we have a backup - then run your routines -- so I can get this site back up -- thanks

• Panos

Hey mindset ,

I have created a super admin user in your site with username wpmudevtest1. You should delete this account later on.

On this thread lets stick to the term ids issue.

1. Regarding the login message, I tried loging in but I didn't have this Cookie error message. I only noticed the capture that needed to be reloaded, but when I reloaded it logged me in. I'd suggest a new ticket about this. You can ask from staff in chat to create a ticket for this.

2. Latency. Not sure if cron jobs could be related with latency, since you are talking about cron jobs from cpanel, running shell commands, right? Even with such a huge database these shouldn't be the reason of such latency. You could copy the only cron job left (so you can restore it if required) and remoave that too, to check if this affects page load. If these cron jobs load php files that do queries to db, then they could affect it. As I said, lets keep this about the terms issue, and for further trouble shooting this ask for a different ticket.

4. Shared terms. Ivan is correct, WordPress should have taken care of this upon upgrade. Not sure why it didn't spilt them though. I am suspecting that it doesn't work properly on multisite. Will need to try replicate this in one of my sites.

WP Cron ( this is wp schedules, not linux cron ) seems fine. I ran :
    _get_cron_array()
    and it did list schedules. I also see you got update notifications for plugins so wp cron is active.

Ivan also mentions

Note: I don't recommend to update the terms manually because you will be left linking with these terms.

What he means is to manually update and duplicate these terms. That could cause a mess. What I did was to run the function which was supposed to run upon upgrade. I did this for subsite with blog id 48 and seems that it was fixed for that blog.

Do you know if there are specific blogs with issue? In case that this is general in all blogs I would require more time to find a way to automate this without timing out.

Cheers!

• mindset

Panos,

Thank you for the detailed post. I would like to correct the record. I did not mix all those issues. Support did because somewhere along the road they felt they were all related.

The reason I thought the crons were causing the issues is because I was under the impression that the reason we put the crons in place was so the term-id process would run -- and I was thinking that process is what was bringing the system to a crawl.

Back to the main issue:

So you have tested all the categories on blog 48 and they now allow you to edit it?

I have not tested all 120 or so sites - but i do know that there are a half a dozen of the action in sites/city - business. sites such as jacksonvillebusiness mapped to actioninjacksonville.com, jacksonvillerealestate etc. that do have problems so I assume they all do.

• Panos

Hey mindset ,

Seems cool plugin! I installed it on your site too!

Downside is that it also doesn't run on whole multisite, it should be done per subsite. Another downside is that it doesn't create any queue nor it uses the _wp_batch_split_terms.

I checked that subsite (jacksonvillerealestate) and it doesn't seem to have any shared terms. I have created a mu-plugin and it shows that there are 6 sub-sites with shared terms. You can see them here :
    your-site.com/wp-admin/network/settings.php?page=wpmudev-ms-shared-terms
    It might take a while to start searching per each site. It does one site at a time so might need to let page load and check later again.

I'll try add some functionality to fix from there, or I'll run the plugin you shared in each subsite to see if it will timeout.

Will keep you updated.

Cheers!

• mindset

That plugin is not accurate for some reason --- I had it installed and it did not return items even though they were there - -the best way is to run it on the whole db.

One of your staff wrote the following sql which can also be used to double check

SELECT * FROM wp_48_term_taxonomy WHERE term_id IN ( SELECT a.term_id FROM wp_48_term_taxonomy a JOIN wp_48_term_taxonomy b on b.term_id = a.term_id AND b.taxonomy <> a.taxonomy ) ORDER BY wp_48_term_taxonomy.term_id ASC

• Panos

Hi mindset ,

I was also working on the site :slight_smile:

I created a mu-plugin as mentioned in previous thread which lists and added a function to restore in chunks so it won't timeout.

Here is the mu-plugin:
    https://gist.github.com/panoslyrakis/d8e43285b6dbb5bc7a29f9f6008ab081
    I have already uploaded it to your wp-content/mu-plugins folder.

Initially it listed the following blogs ids (with red background) in your-site.com/wp-admin/network/settings.php?page=wpmudev-ms-shared-terms:

Blog ids were:
    14, 26, 79, 91, 95 and 114 (it takes a lot of time to load)

After it completed restoring it doesn't show any blogs with shared terms.

You can run the other query you mention so you can confirm this. If you confirm could you please delete the mu-plugin file and the super admin user I created (wpmudevtest1)?

Cheers!

• mindset

Panos,
    Thanks for all your help -- that issue has been resolved ---

But the system is so slow I can't use it --- and I replaced the theme as one of you guys thought that was the problem -- but to open a screen -- it takes 45 seconds to 2 minutes to go from screen to screen --

My sites are going to the main site login when they used to go to their own login -- I am about ready to give up on wpmu -- I have been struggling with this site for 4 years now -- and it is one thing after another that comes up --

I am so frustrated -- we thought the category issue is what was making it so slow -- but it is slower now than it ever has been

• Panos

Hi mindset ,

Sorry to hear this :slight_frown:

Not sure if you have deactivated any plugin or changed theme, it doesn't feel that slow to me. I see in Hummingbird you now have an 89/100 score when previous score was 32/100. Could you please confirm if it still takes it that long for you to load a page and which page this is? Any page I checked in pingdom shows me about 4 seconds.

Regarding the login issues you mention, I watched a screencast you shared, but I didn't recognize the sub-site. The ones I checked did not redirect me to main site's login page. Could you specify which sub sites do this so I could have a closer look there?

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.