Getting error message when trying to upload new images, but images are showing on server

I have a new client that I’m doing some small website changes for. I did not originally build there website, nor is it using the Divi theme.

Here’s the issue: When I try to upload new images to the media library I get this error: “An error occurred in the upload. Please try again later.” However, when I look at the uploads folder via FTP, I can see the images on the server. The old images are still being shown in the media library too.

Here’s a list of everything I’ve tried while troubleshooting:

-The first thing I did was duplicate the site to my test server so I wouldn’t be troubleshooting on there live site, and to verify it wasn’t a server issue causing the error message.
-I deactivated ALL plugins.
-I changed the theme to a default WP theme.
-I changed the permalinks to the default settings.
-I repaired and optimized the database in phpmyadmin
-I Reinstalled WordPress
-I created a new .htaccess file
-I verified that the uploads folder and all subdirectories have 755 permission settings.
-I "reset" the plugins and themes folder.

Nothing worked.

Any ideas?

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello timstrifler,

Next step is to enable debug log in WordPress (I dont see that on you list) and see if there are no errors that are telling more than "An error occurred in the upload. Please try again later."
    To enable it, open your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

In order to enable the error logging to a file on the server you need to add yet one more similar line:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

In this case the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/directory.

Depending on whether you want your errors to be only logged or also displayed on the screen you should also have this line there, immediately after the line mentioned above:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

The wp-config.php is located in your WordPress root directory. It’s the same file where the database configuration settings are. You will have to access it by FTP or SFTP in order to edit it. I would need then to see content of the debug.log file - so please paste it to the text file and attach to post.

I did small research and on some sites using different browser helped with that issue.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.