Getting PHP warnings when activating eNewsletter or Comments Plus on a clean WP install

I’m getting the following errors in my WP admin when I activate eNewsletter. I get similar errors when I activate Comments Plus.

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: open(/tmp/sess_2dc8ef38d052d03d36712b949767c0c9, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in /home/fticusa/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php on line 1481

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter – headers already sent (output started at /home/fticusa/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php:1481) in /home/fticusa/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php on line 1481

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /home/fticusa/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php:1481) in /home/fticusa/public_html/wp-includes/option.php on line 563

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /home/fticusa/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php:1481) in /home/fticusa/public_html/wp-includes/option.php on line 564

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings christina_hooper,

Thank you for bringing this significant issue to our attention.

The exact error is a must to be able to possibly figure out why you are getting this error.

In this case the first error probably causes the cascading of the remaining errors:

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: open(/tmp/sess_2dc8ef38d052d03d36712b949767c0c9, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in /home/fticusa/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php on line 1481

It is telling us that a session file cannot be created in the /tmp folder which either does not exist or is not permission-ed with write privileges.

Your web host will need to get involved to straighten this issue out and then I anticipate some if not all of the other issues will magically disappear.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• christina_hooper
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hello Joe,

In this case, I am the web host. I also get errors in the WPMU Dashboard when I click on learn more for the eNewsletter.

And there is an error on the footer in the admin:

Warning: Unknown: open(/tmp/sess_2dc8ef38d052d03d36712b949767c0c9, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in Unknown on line 0

I’m on a clean WP install with the Twenty Eleven Theme active right this moment. If you want to look, login information is:

*******Removed for security reasons by Joe********

I’m using to see errors with the session.start on some plugins – but I’ve never seen this many errors.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Thank you for the additional input, it is certainly appreciated.

The error in the last post is the same thing, same error, for the same reason.

/tmp/sess_2dc8ef38d052d03d36712b949767c0c9, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in Unknown on line 0

It is caused by the /tmp directory/folder is missing or not permission-ed correctly which in this case would be 777.

As the host so to speak, go in with root access and check on this –> that the tmp folder exists in the servers main folder directory and that it is permission-ed correctly as indicated above.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• christina_hooper

Yup – that folder exists and I changed the permissions from 755 to 777 and it didn’t fix the errors.

I’ve got a couple other sites running your plugins – though they aren’t running the eNewsletter and Comments Plus plugins – and their temp folder is set to 755 and they don’t get errors.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Thank you for that additional input, it is certainly appreciated in an effort to troubleshoot this issue.

Could you please get me a screen shot of the directory structure that the tmp file resides in – similar to the one I show in my screen shot below?

Also are you by any chance running a caching plugin of some sort?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• christina_hooper

Nope – I’m not using a caching plugin of any kind. You can see what plugins are installed and active through the login information that I posted earlier.

You are perfectly welcome to login to to the FTP as well to see the file structure and permissions

host: ***Login details removed by Joe for security reasons.***

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Christina,

Thank you for the additional input and the invitation to check out the file structure, it is certainly appreciated.

Please for your sites security never post login information, Google will grab it quick and spread it over the entire internet.

Where this particular tmp file exists requires root server access to get to, that is why I posted a screen shot was to show the a like folder structure that we should be looking at and precisely where I am talking about.

Please contact Host Gator and alert them to this problem concerning the tmp file of the / directory and ask them about to insure the folder exists and that permissions are set accordingly.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• christina_hooper

I apologize – I didn’t realize this was a public thread or I wouldn’t have put any login information. I can’t edit the previous thread with admin login details – will you please edit that.

This is a reseller hosting account – so it’s an issue on the server root, why is this the only site having that problem? I can install these same plugins on other sites on this server and not get any errors.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Christina,

Thank you for the additional information and we have proof positive then that it is not a plugin issue.

So lets keep on digging. There has got to be something different about this installation then the others.

Please check this specific domains IP number and compare it to the other IP numbers of the other domain IP’s that the plugins are working on in your reseller control panel.

Are they the same or different?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Christina,

Thank you for the great input and us getting to the bottom of what is going on there and now things are becoming very clear.

This proves there are two different servers with different configurations, the one on the IP that works and the one on the IP that doesn’t.

Now it is time to confront your host with that information and ask them to fix the server with the problem and be sure to give them the IP of the fail.

On the server on the bad IP so to speak, they need to make sure that the /tmp folder exists and that it is permission-ed correctly, then I anticipate the issue will go away.

If they will not cooperate I suggest moving to a more responsive hosting reseller plan.

That threat alone may get some action and for them to seriously look into this issue.

Keep me posted as to how you make out.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Christina,

Thank you Christina for taking the time to post those screen shots which is certainly appreciated.

We can now clearly see and confirm it is a server issue of some type since it works on one and not the other and it is very possible that the configuration does not like permissions set at 777.

I did check three of our dedicated servers and they are all set 777, but this does not work for all server configurations.

Is it possible to ask them why you get the session files cannot be written to the one servers /tmp folder but they can to the other?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for being a great community member.

We haven’t heard from you on this one for long and I am doing a regular followup to see if there is still something we can assist you on this thread.

Just to manage the support issues more efficiently, I am marking this thread as resolved for now however this is not being done to avoid your questions in any ways.

Please feel free to mark this is “Not resolved” in case you have further questions and we would be back on it.

Thanks a lot for being with WPMU DEV.

Cheers

PC

Sales &Support

Did you know we offer FREE lifetime memberships? Click here to learn more.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.