getting posts across the network to appear in main site

Hi,

How do I get posts across my network in the same category to all appear in my main site?

For example, I have a category called "cars" and I want all the posts under "cars" written by my network sites to all appear in my main site under "cars".

Tks

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello there @eric, I hope you're well today!

Using the Recent Global Posts Widget plugin you can get a list of ALL the posts in your network to display them as a widget.
    However, even if the "cars" category has the same name in all your sites, the ID of that category is different in each site so I don't think that you can easily filter your posts by category without some custom coding...

Cheers,
    Ari.

• eric
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Tks for the reply. Can I conclude then that currently WPMUDEV doesn't have a plugin that can do this? The answer to this is crucial for me because then I'll stop looking at your list of plugins and get confused beyond redemption. ha ha ha...

As well, is the feature of Global Site Tag similar to Global Posts Widget then?

Also, does all that the Site Categories plugin ever do is to standardise categories across the network but it will never pull all the network posts of the same category to be displayed in the main site?

tks...

• aristath
    • Recruit

I just had another thought about this...
    You could use the autoblog plugin: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/autoblog/
    Using that one, you can get posts from sites of your network and then redirect them back to their original posts. You can filter the posts you create by tag, category etc.

The only downside here is that using this method you will have to manually create a feed for each of your sites. Other than that, it should work without any issues!

does all that the Site Categories plugin ever do is to standardise categories across the network but it will never pull all the network posts of the same category to be displayed in the main site?

I assume you're referring to this plugin, right? https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/site-categories/
    That plugin helps organize sites into categories, it has nothing to do with the post categories of these sites!

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• eric
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Ari,

Tks for the reply and all the help you're giving me.

SITE CATEGORIES
    Allow me to quote an example here to you and see if I understand you correctly. Suppose I have site1 and site2. I use the plugin to catergorise site1 as Apple and site2 as Orange. The for any users who click on "Apple" as a category will be brought to site1. As well, clicking on "Orange" will bring them to site2.

Is this understanding correct?

Tks

best regards,
    eric

• aristath
    • Recruit

Not exactly....
    Suppose you have a network with these sites:
    - France
    - UK
    - Spain
    - Italy
    - Paris
    - London
    - Madrid
    - Rome

The site categories would be these:
    - Countries
    - Cities

Clicking on the "Countries" category would simply list all the sites that belong in that category (France, UK, Spain, Italy). To get to the sites themselves you'd have to click on their name too.

Does that clarify things a bit?

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.